What do Community Managers do?

Basically just a thread asking for what can and can’t Community Managers say/do? I don’t know much about the CM role… or if this thread is not legal for the forums.

3 Likes

It obviously depends on the company. Generally speaking they are just here to gather feedback to relay to the developers, and that is it. I have been a part of a LOT of games with CM and I can tell you basically none of the hot button issues ever get addressed.

I kind of meant on specifically this community/company but this still helps

Manage the community :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Reading the forum all day, maybe?

We actually had a detailed conversation about this in a previous thread, here are both my thoughts and that from Jodie.

Community Managers is more than just gather feedback from the community, though that is a very important task. They often have to aggregate that feedback into metrics that the development team can use to make decisions on how to make the game better. Community Managers work with partnered content creators to help create promotion opportunities for the game, such as the Reaper Code of Violence Challenge featured streamers. They also handle a lot of the copywriting for published articles that you read on the official website. Finally other duties can include communicating with customer support, quality assurance, legal teams, etc to help ensure the game they manage is functioning and the IP remains protected. It’s a lot of work if you think about it.

Don’t worry, your thread I don’t see being in violation of the Forum Code of Conduct. Its not a direct callout to Andy or Jodie in order to gather attention from them. Instead you are wanting to learn more about what I consider to be a critical function in today’s video game industry. That’s a good thing.

4 Likes

Really? Could’ve fooled me.

2 Likes

Their job is as useful as the “writers/story guys of the Overwatch team”.

They get paid to do nothing.

3 Likes

Wrong! Michael chu was getting paid to retcon his own story

Damage control.

3 Likes

i can tell you what theyre not here for…spilling of beans :sweat_smile:

They do nothing but defending the game.

2 Likes

They literally pop in like discord moderators

Deny all problems and brown nose for the company. Basically people that lack any integrity and can’t be trusted to give any unbiased judgement.

3 Likes

Indeed.

We must be managed, lest we descend into chaos.

Everything must be controlled.

Everything must be managed.

1 Like

We kind of have descended into chaos no matter what

Seems to be the same as “narrative designer” these days.

1 Like

Literally almost nothing. They talk to content creators, browse Twitter and play minesweeper all day. I can’t blame them for pretending their incredibly cushy gig is actually challenging in any shape or form. Vagueness and buzzwords protects their positions. Which is fine, anybody siphoning money out of Activision is an ally in my book.

Haha a vital function. Come on, man. It’s an open secret that they’re basically pointless. Everything that happens would happen exactly the same if they didn’t exist. They’re just middle managers.

Posting news, collecting general feedback (read as: the 1 thing people complain the most), moderation.

Not much on terms of involvement with the development of the game.