Voice Chat not functioning with Bluetooth Headsets

Edit: We have completed our investigation on this issue. More information on the cause can be found at this post.

================

Hey, all!

We are currently looking into specific cases where voice chat is not functioning correctly with Bluetooth headsets.

If you are having issues with your Bluetooth headsets, please supply the following:

• Brand of the Headset
  • Model of the Headset
  • Issue with Playback, Recording, or Both

Also please send a DXDIAG to techinfo@blizzard.com with the Title: Voice Chat issues with Bluetooth Headsets [Forum User Name] [OW]

Thanks!

2 Likes

I have on pc an issue where the quality audio drops a lot and the microphone will not work.

-Brand Bose
-Bose Soundlink On-Ear Bluetooth
-Audio quality drop to a “phone call” and micophone not working

1 Like

Brand: Logitech
Model: hd800 (usb)
Playback - Voice chat drops offline, Sometimes I get the error with the number other times it’s not there.
There are times it joins back in mid game also.
I know my device settings are correct. I’ve re-installed and updated all drivers etc. This has been working fine since launch and just recently became an issue.

2 Likes

I don’t think this issue is limited to bluetooth. I’m using Turtle Beach X07 Pro but I’ve also tested on my Senheiser HD555 with a Zalman MC1 clip mic. Same issues.

This is on PC AND XB1.

2 Likes

Yeah, don’t think it’s limited to bluetooth alone, USB mics seem to have a problem as well:
us[dot]forums[dot]blizzard[dot]com/en/overwatch/t/voice-chat-issue/4908/21

Haven’t been able to try the suggestion in the last post of that topic though, so I’ll try that tonight.

1 Like

We are only looking for cases for Bluetooth specific issues. I understand there are other voice chat issues, but we are trying to narrow down a Bluetooth specific problem.

1 Like

-Brand : Sony
-Model: MDR 10 RBT

I have sound in all the game, even in training field. But when I enter any game with other people (competitivo, Quick, arcade) and enter the voice chat everything is muted. No mic, no sound, no music, nothing.

I have win10. When I turn on the headphones 2 versions of them appear to select in windows: one stay stereo mdr 10 bt and the other headset with mic mdr 10 bt. I manually disabled the mic one and connected a webcam with mic to my pc. So now I can use the headphones with the mic of the webcam. Otherwise, impossible. I even follow the guide of someone who said deleting vivox library will work, bot no. Soft update the library and no sound.

4 Likes

Brand: SteelSeries
Model: Arctis 3 + Bluetooth
Audio driver crashes during match, but recovers when:

• match ends and game returns to title screen
  • on occasion, mid-match, but I’ve had the driver crash again during the same match
  • headset mic is disabled through windows
1 Like

Brand: Mpow
Model: Coach Bluetooth v4.1 Wireless Stereo Headphone
Issue: When I go into voice chat with a friend while partied, all sound cuts off and i cant even talk to them with push to talk

Hi. I’m having this issue with:

• SoundPEATS Magnetic Wireless Earbuds Bluetooth Headphones Sport In-Ear IPX 6 Sweatproof Earphones with Mic

It’s the same issue that was reported several times on the old forums… Because this a combined Bluetooth headphones and mic, when I join voice chat, Windows activates the mic and disables the audio… so all sound just drops out, unless i disable the mic in my system settings… but then I can’t voice chat.

I’m having this issue as well. I’ve been using a Sony Playstation Gold wireless headset. It is technically Bluetooth, I think, but it relies on a USB dongle rather than connecting directly to your PC’s Bluetooth receiver.

I am not able to send nor receive voice chat in the game. I can connect to the voice channels, and I can see when others in the channel are talking, but I hear no audio from them. Additionally even though my push-to-talk sound beeps to indicate I am broadcasting, no one in the channel can hear my voice.

This is my exact issue, too. I have the Cowin E7.

The device shows up in sound properties as both a headset and headphones. The headphones sound amazing, but the headset is much lower quality (it’s typically used for phone and skype calls, so it doesn’t need to be Dolby Whatever HD sound quality).

I can force game audio through the headset rather than the headphones, and then voice chat works fine, but then the game audio sounds like monotone, static-filled garbage. If I try use the headset in it’s higher quality headphones mode, all audio cuts out the second I try enter voice chat all game audio cuts out.

Many bluetooth audio headsets use a different and lower quality connection protocol when voice is enabled (bandwidth issues?) instead of the high quality music protocol. Game audio goes lo-fi when I use my Sony XBR 950s as a headset.

Anyway, I’m having voice comms issues as well. I used to have a bluetooth headset connected but no longer do but Blizz support sent me here regardless.

I use an Audiotechnica AT-2020 USB for voice. If I select my character and DO NOT swap characters during the match, voice comms work all game. However, if I swap characters at any point my voice comms will no longer transmit until I swap back to the character I had originally picked. I am still able to hear team voice, but push to talk becomes a dead key. This seems like a pretty clear bug within the voice comms programming and not an end user hardware issue.

Troubleshooting that DID NOT help;
Disabling “exclusive modes” in the Windows audio applet.
Rebinding the push to talk key.
Changing comms devices in Overwatch.
Verifying team chat is set to auto-join.

• BeatsX

It gets muted if I’m in one of voice channels. If I turn off both team and group channel, it works fine.

• Bluedio
  • T2s
  • Both

Same as everyone else: headphones allows for two types of use: head-set and stereo. If you select stereo, everything’s fine until you enter a game, then it cuts out all sound. To hear anything, you need to switch instead to head-set mode (which is often mono, and worse sound quality), which then works but is miserable.

Outside of OW and other full-screen games, you can listen with stereo and still use the mic.

Headphones:

• Brand: Ceenwes
  • Model: IPX7

Bluetooth Adapter:

• Brand: Zexmte
  • Model CSR 4.0

Bluetooth audio is fine until I join chat. Then it stops working. I can force it to work through the option menu by selecting them manually, but the sound is tiny and monotone. Voice does not work, nor can I hear coms. Or I may hear them. I can’t tell with the sound quality.

Brand of the Headset
Bowers & Wilkins
Model of the Headset
PX
Issue with Playback, Recording, or Both
I can configure it fine for game audio but I cannot even select the microphone for voice chat. Furthermore the voice chat will be directed to my laptop speakers and not to the headset. If I select the voice chat audio on my headset I will not hear the game audio.

1 Like

Same issue here. I’m using a Sony WI-1000X and the audio gets cut off when I join team chat. It seems to show that I can speak in the microphone because the top line microphone icon appears whenever I speak, but I cannot hear any audio.

AUSDOM AH2S

Here’s a list of problems:

In the sound control settings I have the headphones set to default for playback device and the recording device set to headset but only as a communications device. When this happens, sound works great but mic cannot be picked up.

When I set the playback device to default for headset and the recording default to headset as well, the mic works but the sound is distorted and painful to hear on occasions.

In playback devices, when I set headphones to default device and headset to default communications device and in the recording tab I set headset to default device, something more interesting happens. When I am NOT in any voice chat game sound works fine. But when I do join any voice chat all sound cuts out.

1 Like