Voice Chat not functioning with Bluetooth Headsets

Brand: SteelSeries
Model: Arctis 3 Bluetooth
Issue is with Both playback and recording.

When the game starts, playback is fine. When voice chat opens pre-match there is a pop and all goes silent. If I press P and leave the team chat then I get audio back.

This device may be a bit strange. There are 2 devices in windows audio properties for it.
1. Arctis 3 Stereo
2. Arctis 3 Headset.

I suspect the pop I hear is because of switching between the two.

1 Like

Brand: JBL
Model: T450BT
Issue: Sometimes I can hear everyone but I canā€™t talk. Sometimes when I join voice chat, in-game sounds (everything) becomes muted.

BRAND: MPOW
MODEM: 059 Bluetooth Headphones Over Ear
ISSUES: Sounds OK until I join team/group voice chat. The quality of sounds/voice degrades a lot - like low quality phone chat.

-Brand Grind wireless
-Grind wireless skullcandy
-i come in game there is sound but once i join voice chat the sound cuts out
Thanks in advance

Hey folks,

We wanted to report on our findings on this issue. After some testing and reading up on bluetooth technology, this seems to be an issue with how bluetooth functions. Youā€™ll also see these issues on other games that employ voice chat functionality.

Thereā€™s going to be a lot of information here, but hereā€™s the short version. Bluetooth is designed for telephone audio, not high fidelity gaming audio. As a result, it is prone to these issues in gaming audio. There are work arounds for this, which I post later, but they result in a sacrifice in audio quality.

Bluetooth as a technology has three modes relevant to us:

1. Headset Audio - Uses both stereo audio and microphone. However, the sound quality is very low. (8kHz/8bits.) Using this mode will probably make everything sound like youā€™re going through a tunnel.
  2. Hands Free - Gives you a mono audio signal and access to your mic. This has lower audio quality as well (16kHz/8bits.) Good for telephone/VOIP communication, bad for hearing where your enemies are since all sound will come from both headset cups.
  3. Advanced Audio Distribution Profile - Close to CD-quality stereo audio, good for hearing where your opponents are in overwatch, but disables mic and as a result voice chat.

Because of these limitations, it is highly recommended that you avoid using bluetooth headsets if you are attempting to use voice chat simultaneously. If youā€™re only using it to listen to the game audio, it should be fine to activate the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP, Stereo audio) profile for better audio quality.

Workaround Below

If you want to use both stereo audio and mic, enabling your bluetooth deviceā€™s ā€œHeadsetā€ profile can give you the best compromise. Unfortunately as mentioned above, the audio quality is poor and on some devices may result in the headset not broadcasting any game audio at all.

I hope this provides some more information on why this is happening. Thanks for all the information provided in this thread thus far, as it helped us identify the common threads and get some test devices which we used to figure this out. Iā€™m going to sticky this thread so we can share our findings with other players.

4 Likes

Steelseries
Arctis 7 Bluetooth
My headphones just donā€™t play Voice Chat at all

Edit: Iā€™m not sure if my Headphones are Bluetooth, it doesnā€™t say if it is or not but it doesnā€™t use wires.

1 Like

Bang and Offalusen H4

Razer
Man Oā€™ War
Wired
Canā€™t hear voice chat at all

Brand- Corsair
model- VOID Wireless Dolby 7.1 RGB
I can hear everything fine and I can speak to teammates in the lobby, picking heroes, and in spawn at the start of the game but once the spawn gates open I am not able to say anything in any chat. The sound it makes to say your mic is open in push to talk does not even alert. it occasionally comes back in the middle of a game but if it does its not long until it is back to not working.

Brand- Steelseries
Model- Arctis 7

I can join and hear everyone in any voice chat, however when ever i press my push to talk i hear the little ping which tells me its working but no one can hear me, mic is on but not working.

Have the same head phones but the push to talk doesnā€™t work for me, i can join voice chat and hear everyone but no one can hear me.

Hello,

Hopefully the developers are actively viewing this forum.

Wanted to make a recommendation. After speaking with the support team it seems that the HD audio from the game and the voice chat is just to much for the protocol to handle simultaneously. Just speaking for myself, I would be fine if the Gameplay HD Audio was muted momentarily while pressing push to talk button. Not allowing players with open mics to use it because that would constantly require the open mic. The mute would then release and switch back to just Gameplay HD audio after the push to talk is released.

Hopefully this will be possible because a lot of us love OverWatch and our BT headsets as well.

1 Like

Hi Blizzard person,

It appears the issue is actually related to windows 10 update. Go to privacy settings --> microphone --> allow apps to access. Solved 100% of my issues with

Arctis 7
Could get stereo sound but no voice, couldnā€™t hear teammates, etc.

I gave up on using these for gaming actually. Not just because of Overwatch.

I had been having problems recently after a Windows 10 update blocked all microphone activity. Went into settings, privacy, microphone, and switched to ā€œonā€. Now most things work, however - when I play OW in QP mode, everything is fine. I can speak, people hear me, and I can hear them. In competitive mode however, I can speak, and people can hear me, but I canā€™t hear them. I see their mic activity blinking in the upper left corner, but no sound.

I assume Iā€™ve turned something off in competitive mode, but noting looks disabled. i.e. no mics are mutedā€¦ any ideas what Iā€™m missing?

1 Like

Some times it may happen if you update you windows version, so you need to again install audio drivers

im having issues with voice chat even though iā€™m not using Bluetooth headphones for some reasonā€¦