[UPDATED 10/12] Improved Profanity Filter and Updated Penalties for Code of Conduct Violations

Can you PLEASE add the option to disable General Chat? PLEASE?

This is a QoL that needs to be here.

Officially speaking now, not blizz’s problem.

Because people would complain if they just censored everything

With the increased penalties, will you also be doing more thorough and consistent appeals? I know for a million percent fact that the current review process nearly always upholds bans, often without actual review.

4 Likes

Quickplay? It’s already got repeated leaver penalties.

QP is my main mode of play and having people repeatedly leave doesn’t bother me. We’re prob better off without them if they don’t want to be here anymore, and this is the mode you can play without having to worry too much about having to jump out and deal with IRL stuff :woman_shrugging:t6:

3 Likes

I wonder why it’s not… :thinking:

If u have to jump out and deal with irl stuff fine, u can wait out a time penalty while u are gone anyways. Wont affect them, but ppl leave all the time when losing, which ruins the game for everyone else, and then the poor person who wasted their queue on a backfill game. Often near the end of the game too.

Exp penalty and losing endorsements after leaving a bunch is hardly a penalty people care about. Not going to stop them from quitting and ruining it for everyone else.

1 Like

Because it’s a recommendation, not a mandate.

I highly recommend you dont eat a peanut butter and broccoli sandwich, but it’s not illegal and you can do it if you want.

1 Like

Screw that! I play qp when I’m cooking so I can leave if I need to.

1 Like

Having hopped on the PTR and tried out all the filters, I see some really glaring issues:

1.) Mature filter definitely skews the definition of “mature” in a particular direction. A handful of what I’d consider the “worst” slurs are censored out but many others, ones that target already heavily-marginalized populations in video games (women, trans folks, quite a few racial slurs, a few off-the-cuff homophobic ones) still go right through. So I guess if you’re fine with cussing, you’re fine with everything else that comes with it? I feel that’s really making it okay as a filter for the people who already might be using the terrible words to begin with. Mature filter does not meaningfully feel like a filter at all right now.

2.) Friendly works. But that means even things like baseline cuss words (which a lot of adults other than ones who have very obvious reasons to object to them) are taken out, so it feels like too much, but will be the one anyone will want to use if they really do not want to see slurs.

3.) Mature is the default currently. I suspect this is because this is how most of the audience generally interact with the community - okay take out the REALLY, REALLY bad words but everything else is fine and a few censors here or there won’t bother them and if it does, they can move it up. But, if you’re the person who this pertains to, you’ll want to opt for friendly immediately? It’s weird.

4.) The onus of “fixing” the problems of community language is now on the end user and not the company investing resources in making it clear in no uncertain terms that certain words are not allowed here. I’m actually quite confused as to why, if you can implement resources to catch really crappy stuff with censors, why you won’t block them outright?

And it’s some really nasty stuff too. This isn’t like, easily “mispelled” or “sounds like something else” stuff, as people upthread are saying (folks, you are not fooling anyone) but I know that you would upset a vocal portion of the audience if you fully disallowed them to type really awful stuff in chat and instead force everyone else to take the job upon themselves.

5.) Censoring stuff means it’s harder to see to report in order to “clean house” meaning we’re effectively creating a net positive of more slurs and toxicity in the community, even if can’t “see” it (although I can guess what people are saying behind ****, I’m 38, I wasn’t born yesterday.)

That’s just my feelings on it, as someone who reports on Overwatch as a writer.

11 Likes

Then leave and get a time penalty, that you wont deal with since you would be gone cooking anyways.

2 Likes

Depends how long the time penalty is :man_shrugging:t2:

Also you may not want to play with against X cos they’re toxic, they’re a known thrower, etc and there’s not enough avoids.

Also I don’t want someone on my team who doesn’t want to be here. I’d rather them leave and get someone else than have them stick around :man_shrugging:t2:

Backfilling into a losing match sucks but I think the best way around that is the current priority queue.

1 Like

Then leave before the game starts.

If someone even does backfill, who likely doesnt want to waste their queue on that type of game. And if they dont want to be there they can still quit, should just get a penalty for it.

Or also having real leaver penalties so backfilling isnt so common. Can still punish quitters and reward ppl who backfill, just wont happen as often.

I’ve had time to think about it. One possible explanation is the fact that the server might use it to communicate status updates for the game, but surely there is a way to code it so those aren’t affected, but we can block messages from anyone else but the system.

My problem with it is mainly due to when using the menu, or browsing previous games, the general chat shows up occasionally and often with the dumbest or rude comments. I can hide it, but it hides ALL chats, which doesn’t help if I have friends trying to message me.

So…

Again. It needs to be changed so that it can be individually hidden, disabled, something!

this is nice, but
can console pls get an actual chat function? pls n ty

“Horrific, deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don’t say any naughty words.”

Sheila Broflovski, South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut (1999)

2 Likes

Genuinely amazing, thank you

Your reporting system is broken.
It is such a stupid idea to think a PEGI 12 community can police itself.

2 Likes

Some people have skin thicker than rice paper and can handle it.

2 Likes

Thank you Molly :slight_smile: