[UPDATED 10/12] Improved Profanity Filter and Updated Penalties for Code of Conduct Violations

RIP east coast and australian masters-GMs, you will be missed :angel:

If they’re back filled in? They don’t even have to be a known jerk. I can mute these people all I want but it doesn’t stop them refusing to heal me, ice wall, etc. I’ll just leave when I want too :man_shrugging:t2:

They can still quit, but they probably won’t/may not cos of the penalty. It’s better to have a brief time where you’re 5v6 then get someone to turn it into a real match rather than it just being 6v6 in name only.

I don’t mind backfilling. Not every game of course, and it’s annoying when you load into a defeat screen (I feel like this could be fixed >_>) but stepping in and making a difference where the other team is all “I wish the other guy hadn’t left…” more than makes up for it. Also, if you’re that concerned about “wasting queue time” theres comp :man_shrugging:t2:

Even if you do get Insta defeat/short game you’re prioritied in anyways.

Like I said, this is a bad idea as you’ll just end up keeping people who don’t want to be there and don’t want the penalty.

1 Like

They have to give people the option.

Wish we could see the blacklist. Hiding it only means that people are gonna sacrifice a few smurfs to find out what it is.

People will still complain that certain words aren’t blocked - even after they’ve set Match and General chats to Unfiltered.

Just wait and see.

Despite that, more choice is always a good thing. Nice update. How do they decide which words end up on the ‘Friendly’ filter list vs the ‘Mature’ filter list, though?

1 Like

You can just go into the Range on PTR and see which words are caught by the filter.

Yeh arbitrarily deciding which words are worse than others is a minefield that I’m surprised they’ve planted for themselves. Presumably anything remotely -cist, -phobic, etc automatically ends up on the black list so as not to discredit X population being less or more offended than another :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Will it ban you for saying things to yourself in an single person lobby? :rofl:

Err… what if I’m offended by the word “stupid”. Does that mean I can report someone for using it?

I find it to be an incompetent method to express displeasure in situations, no matter which situations. It’s a method to blanket emotionally damage another person.

The terms of service says, and I quote directly;
“You may not use language that could be offensive or vulgar to others.”

This isn’t a joke. I know I can be a bit of a joker, but this isn’t a joke. The context of use DIRECTED at a person is offensive to me, but the use in action is more along the lines of “thoughtless.” At least to me.

There’s no auto-ban for offensive language. You have to be reported.

1 Like

Oh I misunderstood then (or didn’t really look into it at all). I just saw “blacklist” and assumed that saying these things would “automatically report you” in a sense :thinking:

It’s a shame they spend time on these things rather than adding in other interesting features like a pinging system, useful lines other than “heal me”, etc :man_shrugging:t2: I bang on about reporting abusive chat all the time but I’d rather them just like, hire another person to look at what’s being said rather than some other awkward list thing that people will just circumvent anyway :roll_eyes:

I am really looking forward to these changes. The biggest question I have is whether there will be more substantial considerations for restricting access to Competitive Play for those who are actioned for violations for the Blizzard Code-of-Conduct (and not just leaving Competitive matches). To my knowledge, a player who is silenced (all communication features are currently suspended, but action to the game is not) still can play Competitive Play. Now I personally believe voice or text chat is not necessary even for Competitive, but I wonder if it would not be better to restrict access from the mode that can cause the greatest amounts of disruptive behavior.

The reason why I bring this up, Heroes of the Storm suspends access to their Hero League Ranked game mode if you are silenced. So I find it surprising the same does not apply for Overwatch Competitive game modes.

2 Likes

This is almost guaranteed to blow up in their faces at some point.

The problem with the non-Competitive modes is that you really should not be severely punished for choosing to leave if there is a disruptive player. Its why those modes typically backfill players when needed and its really about having fun. Yeah leavers can be disruptive even in these modes (especially for a high-demand role like Tanks), but the best way to work around leavers in any game mode is to group up with friends.

4 Likes

I don’t really object because it’s an option and controllable by the user, but I’m surprised you’d just keep an “Unflitered” mode at all – I shutter to think of what gets put into that category over “Mature”.

:grimacing:

I myself keep my profantity filter off and that is because I like to think I have a thick skin, but knowing what a person who may be violating the Blizzard Code-of-Conduct said can be important to contextualize and determine if they need to be reported.

For example, if all I see from a salty opponent use a 4-letter explicative after I make a cheeky kill, depending on what that explicative was, I may not be able to determine if that person needs to be reported or not.

2 Likes

I ain’t using no hate speech or nothing, but I can still cuss in my game about killing people, right?

Oh that’s nice thank you. I was just saying on a thread a few days ago to try to make at least toxic environment for overwatch and you guys delivered.

1 Like

That made more sense when it was on/off toggle only.

However, the toggle between “Mature” and “Unfiltered” is a bit more odd – if you have “Mature” toggled on and see “**** you” you probably get the gist, but if you have Matured toggled off and see something censored it’s going to be like… what?

There are a few problems with this, first off, someone may type a bad word by mistake (yes it does happen). Secondly context can be very important. Now if you are using language excessively, regardless of context, chances are you are going to get warned or actioned eventually, but for a game that is rated T for Teen with an open online community, its fair to expect some sultry language as long as there is no directed hate speech at anyone.

6 Likes