Ultra extreme low quality matchmaking

Thats totally cool. I was more referencing rank based bullying versus experience. Sorry for the confusion

1 Like
  1. Context needed. 800 less than soldier? 800 less than Anna, Moira, or Lucio? At the end of the first round? How much damage boosting has she done, is your DPS/Tank doing insane damage and getting massive kills?

2. 5 Golds with Sombra. well if the entire team has 5 kills, you’re all gold. damage, DPS and tanks aren’t doing enough, if you have gold objective kills, congrats as sombra you’re babysitting the point… you’re not doing the job. and if you have gold heals. your supports are probably trash.

And before we get to rank bullying, if you think I’m doing that… My rank is open, and I ain’t no Master player.

1 Like

Lmao. Alright man everyone likes this game here. You don’t have to defend every aspect of it, I think many people here are hoping to improve things not ruin it.

1 Like

You literally said:
“Bro if your defending this matchmaking you must not be very good at this game”

Rank based bullying is exactly what you would have meant in saying what you did, I’m bad at this game due to a physical disability.

My mentality and advice given is the same as those 3-5 ranks above my own (and if you look through my post history, you can see many Master+ players that agree with me, despite me being in Silver/Gold), the poor match making is 100% on the player population (or lack of), alternate accounts, purposefully throwing, cheaters, new accounts ranked higher than they should be, and so on.

I think the confusion was on your end, specifically due to me saying the match maker could use a massive overhaul, and not because of smurfs, but because of a dwindling population.

1 Like

Hate to nitpick, but your profile is locked.

1 Like

yeah, but In OW1 I can lie if you asked and we were on the same team. And as long as it’s not beating you, or anyone else listening no one gonna call me on it… and the heat is off. (not the way I roll when I play, but it could be) now the heat will be on if anybody is underperforming.

is it? weird. I’m trash.

Same.

well maybe I closed it on a game and forgot to reopen it. i am middle silver on all roles about 1700 on average over the last 6 -8 seasons or so on console. High’s of plat on support, but haven’t reached that height for awhile. And I don’t want to look on how to open it back up on the website.

As far as I know it can only be unlocked in game, it’s not important per se, just a random observation.

I am also disabled, its not a free pass you don’t need to mention it in each post. According to the statement you fit the bill and you admitted it openly. The ranking is poor and I proved it with the transitive property and case studies. Citing high ranked players or more players means nothing. They did change the ranking to make it worse because of the population and que times.

1 Like

You are wrong. MMR decide how much SR you will get or lose below Diamond.

MMR is the matchmaking rating that is the estimate of your skill that goes up and down on wins or losses based on the estimated chance to win, and is necessarily present in all ranks, being a core aspect of TrueSkill type skill based matchmaking. MMR is the one unavoidable aspect.

You’re taking about PBSR, performance based skill rating, which does only exist below diamond and isn’t strictly necessary to the function of the system. As it’s name suggests, it adds SR based on performance. Though, how’s much it adds is unknown.

I’ve been studying the system for years. If you have a dev statement that you believe says otherwise, I’ll help you understand it. I saw the posts and discussed them before they left the forums. I remember them, sometimes verbatim. For the most part, they’ve been preserved. I can find them, but now it’s bedtime.

However, the view you express has been stated before as a deliberate attempt to mislead and confuse. You may have the ideas right, but the terms are technical and you have them wrong. I’m not sure what is gained in the misunderstanding, but for most people MMR isn’t controversial when explained. PBSR, well, it’s dubious at best.

People invested into removing skill based matchmaking have an interest in conflating the two, for the same results that just occurred here, confusing an generally uncontroversial idea for a controversial one.

You are missing the point. PBSR heavily depends on where you MMR is in comparison to current SR.

You can easily see this when you are on alt account in lower rank. You can lose game badly while playing really bad, but MMR wont allow you to lose a lot of SR.

People who want to remove MMR or skill based ranking have no clue what they talk about as they mostly dont understand how it works.

I’d rather play unrated in Valorant and competitive in Overwatch personally. But only because I always try to win when I play games.

Quickplay in Overwatch is abysmal and is one of the most unbalanced matchmaking I’ve ever seen in any game. It’s only their competitive mode that’s somewhat tolerable. And even competitive modes can still give you unbalanced games sometimes where your teammates are throwing/free trading for whatever reason.

Unrated in Valorant = you always feel like you’re in control of the situation.
Quickplay in Overwatch = you feel like nothing you do makes a difference in the outcome of the match if it’s a clear team-diff.

Unless you go on a hardest carrying hero in Overwatch (in solo Q quickplay), which in my opinion is roadhog. But that’s just one hero and you can get bored after playing roadhog so many times.

Same with Competitive, really

This is patently wrong. Very wrong. It makes little sense to even talk about MMR and SR like that. PBSR is based on MMR in the sense that games are matched based on MMR and your comparison group is the MMR/SR you are paying at, but it’s not a comparison and nothing at all ever uses the “differential” between SR and MMR.

Like, why do you think this? The only people I ever hear this from is the conspiracy theorists, which, as you say and I agree, don’t know what they’re talking about.

Even worst, they are comparing a QP matchmaker with a competitive one.
I played against Chipsa and Cloudy in OW2 which never happened in OW1 (and is not even possible due to me being between high gold and mid plat).

But they are “putting holes in our arguments”. xD

2 Likes

Is there something else than just SR and MMR? As far as I know there are only those two ranking systems. SR represents your actual place in ranks and its short term system not really based on your skill as SR goes down and up even if you leave game and have zero stats. Yes there is PBSR but SR is a system based on win/loss mostly. So as leaving game affect your visible SR rank, it doesnt affect your hidden MMR rank.

MMR is hidden system, more long term thing, usualy more stable rank affected by primarily your own game skill which is reflected in stats in your games. Based on several years experience over multiple accounts I can say this:

SR gained or lost at the end of match is being affected by both, your skill in game you just played and by your MMR. If you smurf on alt and have amazing performance, much better than others in this rank have, you are rewarded with higher PBSR at the end and when you lose, you lose less. But not every game means amazing performance. There are games even smurfs cant do much, but you wont lose 30 SR for playing poorly. Why? Because your MMR is higher than your SR and game doesnt allow you to go too far from it so you lose just like 17 SR for example.

If you consistently provide amazing performance and have also little bit of luck with not having terrible games, your MMR will skyrocket. But because SR and MMR is usualy trying to be at same range, you will start getting huge amount of SR and its not just PBSR. System will give you huge SR bonus based on your SR vs MMR difference. I have seen this many times. Gaining even over 100 SR few times and no, account wasnt new at that point anymore. I am pretty sure you would agree that getting over 100 SR in one match is pretty much imposssible normaly. If you give your idk silver account to GM players, he wont gain like 70 SR in the silver match. He will probably gain like 30 and then if he keeps winning this will gradualy go up as his MMR is raising too faster so system compensate with more SR. This bonus is based on higher MMR, not based on actual performance with played match. You will basicly gain:

PBSR based on current match + compensation for difference btween SR and MMR rank. That is how I understand the system after collecting a lot of data over the years.

(talking about ranks bellow diamond btw)

this is such an ignorant statement. OW matchmaking IS NOT fair and accurate.

1 Like