Torbjörn Rework | Coming Soon

Eh, I guess it could be all fine and dandy, but it seems kind of… lazy. Throwing deployable turret, temporary attack boost, increased projectile speed, and area denial; that’s the Sym + Hanzo rework + Hammond ult. Doesn’t really feel like any thrilling, original changes.

I like these ideas, lets see how they work in ptr.

That overload ability is going to get nerfed
I’m calling it now

3 Likes

So the purpose of reworking utility heroes now is making their ultimate abilities worse. good job, he can set right on the bench with symmetra now that his redeeming ultimate that granted him his niche is gone.

3 Likes

Torb is one of my mains, so I’m interested to seeing how much different he is with these changes. I guess it’s time to dust him off and see if this rework is a good one.

Some speculations:

• I like the idea of his Overload being on E. I expect it to be nerfed in the near future though (I can just hear the screams of people crying how “unfun it is to play against”) with him running around with it all the time.
  • I am a huge fan of the turret upgrades. I always hated trying to set up during a flank and it instantly being vaporized after focus fire. I think this change will make him a bit more viable on attack maps rather than just on defense…
  • I am sad that the armor system is no longer going to be a thing :c I loved the idea of armor being used to help team mates. It seems like he will be more focused on attack and Brig will be more focused on defense. Which I suppose is fine. Again, will have to see how it actually plays out in the PTR.
  • I like the effects of his new Molten Core ability. I think it’s a huge upgrade while staying true to his area-denial gameplay. I don’t really know how effective it will be but it does look promising that it counters armor directly (Which has been a complaint in the community for a while, the whole “too much armor!!!” thing.) This is a direct counter to Brigitte’s ultimate, which means that I expect a lot of people playing torb to counter anti-dive comps with Brig. It would be interesting to see how it works out in high elos.

Overall the rework seems to be somewhat of an upgrade in a few areas and a drawback in others… I reallllyyyyyy am concerned about the lack of armor packs making him a bit too weak, but maybe that will give a reason to have both brig and torb on the same team. Not sure if taking away the armor was a good idea, but hey. We won’t know until it’s out in the wild. Either way, thanks Jeff for the dev update (finally!) and I’m looking forward to playing him. :blush:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

1 Like

Molten Core only deals bonus damage to actual armored health.

The way it works under the hood is two separate DoTs, one that only affects health and one that only affects armor.

I hope that helps clear it up.

16 Likes

So basically if Brig even tries to start her ult and torb is ready for it that armor is just instantly gone pretty much.

so it essentially melts armor

if I have 25 armor and get 50 ‘melt’ damage to the armor, does the extra 25 (after the armor is melted away) go to HP?

While I do think these changes will make Torb a lot more viable in more scenarios, I have to say I’m disappointed that he has lost his utility / team enhancing aspect (that used to be his armor packs) to become a more individualistic damage dealing hero.

I would like to see more utility-focused abilities in the game. Damage and self-sustain is pretty standard fare.

2 Likes

When every character counters McCree, and they announce only minor changes :cry:

Wait… So does that mean that we’re not getting that sacred wall climb ability for our Beloved Torbjorn? o:

You guys promised us!

#LetTorbWallClimb! :smirk:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

3 Likes

Two things I like so far.

1. No more torbs just sitting there hammering on a turret the entire match even while it’s already full HP.
  2. No more torbs using his ult as a “oh my turret is about to die” or “I’m about to die” saver.

It’s currently longer than 5 seconds, right?

1 Like

Rivets fire and fly faster now, so probably will be easier to land.

The hammer is still used to repair the turret though.

Not to be one of those hijacking dudes, but…
When can we expect the patch, or at least the notes? I’m excited to see what else you guys have in store!

2 Likes

I’m so excited!

Can’t wait for this to go live…I’ll have a lot of exploring to do in Target Practice room.

150 armor could be changed depending on whether that’s too much or not. But my point was that 100 armor for the entire team is stronger than 150 personal armor.

Let’s look at this way. There are several characters who were designed to have specific weaknesses, like Zen or Tracer. Armor helps to negate those weaknesses. It also makes heroes like Soldier 76 less effective due to how damage calculation is done in game.

I understand people complain about the shield bash (it’s a lot of zone denial for free) but while it’s not as exciting, armor is an incredibly potetent tool to give to your team. 150 temp armor and some buffs vs potential 600 perma armor split amongst the whole team.

Brig’s ult is easy to underestimate, similar to say Sym’s new ult. It’s deceptively strong.

1 Like

only thing I REALLY dont like

1 Like

Geoff, 2 questions

1. if the separate ‘melt the armor’ damage is lets say 50 points, and I have 20 armor, after the effect melts away the 20 armor does the remaining 30 get applied to the targets HPs?

2. what happens if I merely jump over a lava puddle (just like jumping over a mud puddle as a kid)? I know if I walk over it, i take damage, but what if I jump over it?