Time to Remove Genji's Training Wheels

How about…no? That’s the whole point of deflect. To deflect any and ALL attacks for those 2 secs. Wanna counter it? Don’t shoot at him.

Literally this. I will never understand why people continue to spray into a Genji who is CLEARLY deflecting. Sure I understand how it’s frustrating when you aim at the Mercy to the side of him and it still deflects but that literally only happened to me twice.

His unparalleled mobility does help with that, but his deflect further cements it as the moment he starts deflecting you have to cease all combat towards him.

https://www.boostards.com/overwatch/news/overwatch-tier-list-season-4
Here, during the highpoint of the tank meta he was still c tier, which is and was useful. He’s never gone lower than that to my knowledge. This is probably because despite his lower effectivness in the meta he could still properly dispose of healers and do decent chip damage to tanks like Zarya and Roadhog, who don’t have any armor.

This is a lie, his shuriken hitboxes are the same size as hanzos pre nerf hitboxes, as are all projectile heroes hitboxes.

Reinhardts hammer is rocket-propelled, it would crush any sword that’s used to try to parry it… nevermind the fact it’s too big to parry with a sword…

He’s still used fairly often in league, it’s only Tracer’s power that’s overshadowing him completely at the moment that’s led to his decline. If she’s ever nerfed, Genji will see a much increased usage.

During that 2 seconds he cannot attack you, while he can swift strike, if he does he just used his 2 abilities. If you did not shoot into him making your own health disappear then he is pretty helpless with his 86 damage per second and low mobility options without using skills.

That is true. This however did not mean he was “meta”. They outright state that "If you aren’t able to make solo picks, or provide ample space for your team to act, his impact is just not comparable. "

Right here from word of god. It is not a lie.

1 Like

No they’re not… You’re the one lying…

Completely false, if Genji was powerful enough to warrant a nerf he’d be picked alongside Tracer, every game, Genji+Tracer, it turns out that Genji has much more synergy with Tracer than Soldier, Widowmaker and Junkrat, yet they all have usage rates similar to Genji’s.

1 Like

As much as i hate how badly implemented deflect and its animation is, this is just a terrible idea.

What next, shoot rein through shield if its a headshot? and call it training wheels? it’s still ridiculous, no matter how you call it.

This must’ve been changed recently, last time they mentioned hitboxes, they stated that the hitboxes across the board were all the same size during the mass hitbox nerf they later reverted.

This was around the time of the Zenyatta changes to his discord initially.

“Meta” is debatable, more like flexible enough to function at some level regardless of meta. Removing two seconds from his ult was not a bugfix, nor was removing one of his stronger animation cancels, and I’m willing to bet his triple jump wasn’t a bug either.

Junkrat and Soldier see higher pickrates in bronze through gold, and then Tracer sees higher pickrates in master and GM. Genji only has his popularity in quickplay, plat and diamond, neither most popular dps at the top nor the bottom of the skill ratings.

Why aren’t you complaining about Widow then?

1 Like

He’s still picked competitively at the pro level, like soldier, McCree, and Sombra till her nerf. That’s still in meta.

Prior to Tracer’s boon in popularity he often competed for the top slot with Tracer, and Soldier before his nerf.
https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2017-02-22-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-season-3-review

You are actually trolling if you think Genji wouldn’t be an F tier pick with your proposed changes.

Not really sure why people make these unconstructive posts on the forums. You don’t want balance, so stop pretending like you want balance. You want Genji to be a useless F tier hero because you dislike playing against him and your brain can’t process vertical movements and can’t stop shooting into a very obvious deflect animation. 1 ounce of statistics or research and you’d see that Genji is not even near OP. Widow has near the same exact pick rate as Genji in OWL, should we nerf Widow to the ground too? Give me a break.

2 Likes

Yea really.

-Please don’t suppress skill and longer.

Who hurt you? lol

So a hero that’s picked alongside the best balanced DPS hero in the game (soldier) needs a nerf?

Soldier was nerfed

http://www.thegosucrew.com/overwatch-hero-tier-rankings-and-season-4-meta/
http://www.omnicmeta.com/2017/06/deep-dive-season-4-in-review.html
http://www.omnicmeta.com/2017/07/overwatch-hero-meta-report-pc-s5-w5.html
http://www.omnicmeta.com/2017/09/overwatch-hero-meta-report-pc-september.html

AS you can see after Soldiers nerfs Genji overtook him, and he himself was only ever beaten in the category by Tracer. Even before his nerf Genji wans’t behind him by much.

Aside from that, heroes are suppossedly nerfed or retuned if they meet several critera, community complains about them too much or an ability is unfair (see scattershot, junkrate mine, etc), when the developers think the hero needs tuning, or when there’s objective proof a hero is over performing.

The former criteria has already been met, the later being his egregious deflect hitbox, and persistence of his swift strike’s damage even if he has been killed using it. There’s significant evidence to show how broken the hitbox on the cooldown is, yet nothing’s been done about it. Surely he could afford to have this ability retuned if there’s something distinctly wrong with it and the player base has that much of a problem with it?

I think as of the original forum’s closure the Genji deflect hitbox thread had the most likes on a forum post period at something close to 2k likes, not counting ones negated by dislikes, it also had something like 40+ examples of hitbox registration errors, and it’s apparent range is stretches well past the animation with a total width of something like a wrap around Orisa shield.

The developers even noted it as a proble,m when they said that they were “looking into it but in the meantime don’t shoot at him ;)” so by their own admission this ability at least is fulfilling all the critera to be changed but it’s not happened despite the evidence and player outcry.

You’re looking at stats from the competitive ladder that are 5 seasons old…

1 Like

I don’t see how stats from 5 seasons ago would relate to whether or not a character needs to be nerfed now.

2 Likes

That’s not debatable, that’s fact that he can be meta as shown by the stats.

By dev admission they were both bugs that they left in the game, like Widow’s wuick scoping, you can find the threads discussing the changes yourself. Aside from that both of Genji’s bugfixes came with some form of buff to him regardless, like his ult having it’s hitboxes adjusted and I believe they even adjusted his swing speed. Despite all this he still maintained his rather high pickrate.

Soldier and Junkrat both have lower skill floors with doing well, and are generally considered the go to starter heroes, with Genji being touted as the difficult hero to pick up and play, yet despite this he still has pretty sizable pickrates in all ranks. It might be worse in bronze or silver, but it’s generally even by gold and platinum in the case of Junkrat.
http://www.omnicmeta.com/2018/01/overwatch-hero-meta-report-pc-jan-17.html

Widow is still soundly countered by barrier tanks in general and requires mechanical skill. There’s other things to be said there, but we’re not talking about Widow, we’re talking about Genji.

Can Brigitte please get the ability to wavedash and L-cancel? Please blizzard.

1 Like

Stop using ladder stats, people on ladder (Especially lower levels) pick heroes because they’re cool, not because they’re good at them or make them win games…