This Isn't Going To Be A New Thing Is It?

Twitter seems to share my criticisms as well.

Well, anyone not on the list anyway.

The idea of this promotion is excellent. It’s not the problem.

The problem is shafting a huge number of dedicated streamers from being included. That’s the problem.

7 Likes

An micro event where you need watch streamers? Done, viewers drop.

Pay streamer for skin? Pick the smalest and the chipest, done, audience numbers drop like ow2 views :rofl:

So if I’m reading this right. So basically Twitch streamers with a “verified by Twitch” good reputation status, could be allowed to qualify for an event like this?

1 Like

Reddit comments are a battleground rn

3 Likes

When it comes to people who “didn’t stick around” you can’t expect people to stream one game all the time. Some people do that of course, but most don’t. It’s bad for long term enjoyment of your job.

To be fair, those who tend to put themselves in the “most loyal” category are usually the ones that will take the abuse. It’s an apt assessment if you’re going to make a decision they know will upset people.

However, Blizzard’s marketing team would probably have done themselves a lot of favors here by not trying to exploit the altruistic players by using the whole “support a streamer” nonsense to imply supporting those who actually need it. I feel people would be a whole lot less upset if their favorite OW streamer were present, or it were more abundantly clear that it’s about getting the OW name out there and less about streamer support.

And why not drop skins for watching?

I wonder how big the retention rate will be

Bro, the forums are a super minority and it’s usually just negative feedback. I come here, then I go to Reddit and YouTube and it’s like a different world. A lot of people see positive in these things even if YOU don’t

2 Likes

Oh god does that mean it’s not the last one where we have to spend 15$ for a miserable ugly skin

7 Likes

You know I have been one of the forum MVPs for over five years, I have come to expect many of the hardcore regulars to be equally passionate about the game as many other players. However, I also know that there are many different facets to the overall Overwatch community and different platforms where feedback is pouring in. Forums, Reddit, Content Creator outlets (chats, discords, etc.), third-party fan sites, the Esport community, and so much more. There is a lot of noise coming from all directions and while all of it is very much heard by Blizzard, the decisions made for the game are never going to come from just one place alone.

5 Likes

Yeah because its scummy and we will call you out on it lol. Are you expecting the content creators you are promising money to, to speak out about it? :clown_face:

And you still did it anyway lol. Shows how little you and the devs actually care about the playerbase.

This whole Pandering to content creators gotta stop ffs. They already get everything. they get guaranteed beta access whereas everyone else has to wait, early heads up on incoming updates and new content. They dont also need to be paid by your community

What other game makes people donate to streamers to unlock content??? None.

30 Likes

If only it were random streamers. There’s actually a very small list of streamers eligible for this, and half of them don’t even play the game anymore. So if you’re a smalltime streamer trying to get off the ground, they just screwed you over while telling people to shovel more money to xQc.

17 Likes

Probably because they know like 90% of people just mute/minimize the stream, and that it doesn’t really do much financially unless you got big name advertisers on the stream. (Like with OWL)

Where as twitch streamers probably get the vast majority of their cash through gifted subs. And not just views.

2 Likes

FFXIV did this same promotion with a mount and it was extremely successful.

1 Like

I though more about it and yeah, I guess its a good business decision to promote bigger streamers regardless their dedication to the game. Thats what other game companies do as well.

You mean the popular ones, many of which on this list rarely play your game

21 Likes

Simply make every channel eligible that is streaming Overwatch during the event.

3 Likes

FF14 is also a very good game with a dev team actually passionate about making sure the players enjoy themselves. If players are happy they wont mind paying for stuff.

10 Likes

Yeah, as far as I’m aware the requirements for affiliate are pretty low and it would appeal to the most people. It sucks seeing some people stick with the game for all this time with less than 1k viewers and then blizzard handpicks people who have never played or haven’t played in years to come back for a day to farm an event.

1 Like

Absolutely a better business decision, they aren’t trying to convert them per say just want more exposure, this is the only way that makes marketing sense whether you agree with it or not