The state of Tanks - Devs! stop

When the game launched tanks were unquestionably the most enjoyed characters in the game and the most satisfying to play as. We were the shield of our team. The ones who kept it all together. But now what we are? A laughing stock. A punching bag. An unplayable mess.

Rein became a “Tie to a pole and kick him in the face” stun simulator
D.Va became a mosquito against a house sized fly swatter
Wrecking Ball became a Tennis Ball
Orisa became forgettable
Playing Sigma is miserable
Hog is not even considered a tank anymore. Not even as much as before

Since years you keep nerfing the lowest winrate tanks least impactful abilities just to buff the most picked tanks that part of a kit where its not needed at all.

Its not just about the recent Ball nerf but about what you think Tanks have to be instead of what they truly are. They are Tanks. Not Juggernauts, not DPS powerhouses, not wet sponges. Tanks.

I worry that if you continue this for OW2, there will be no one left who plays tanks. Theres a reason why OG tank mains left the game. Theres a reason why the number of Tank players are bleeding from one day to another. Because you’ve decided you dont want Tanks to be “Tanks” anymore and doubled it down for OW2. I can’t be hyped for the new heroes anymore. Whether its a Mauga, the MEKA Squad, Queen or hell even Mama Hong. I don’t want to see the new Tank heroes to suffer from this. As someone who wanted Doom, Brig and Mei to be Tanks for OW2, i back down.

Shift from these damage overkill abilities to stun protection and make their own TTK higher. Give their former glory back to us and don’t take away their uniqueness because you feel like it.

#LetTanksBeTanks

43 Likes

Tanks that, at any point, hinder me from killing the enemy are simply too oppressive

Devs, do not listen to this man!

Signed by me, a new mccree main

p.s.: stunbang should work through shields

#LetTanksBePaper

20 Likes

Tanks have extra health than the normal roster, that combined with healing and AoE healing slows too much the pace of the game.

People like player agency, agency to threat and kill, but also agency to avoid and deal with threats. It’s a hero shooter after all.

People find fun on having range, mobility and burst shots/abilities/combos and the DPS roster offer the best mix of that + the fact that DPS is the least babysitter role.

1 Like

Funny and ironically enough, it already works through shields and deflect because of it’s huge hitbox.

Devs: Let’s buff Cassidy then.

9 Likes

This is why 5v5 will Infact be beneficial to tanks.
Having only one tank on each team will allow them to buff tanks in a way that should make them individually more fun to play albeit at a total defensive loss for the team as a whole.

I say just let me play the “raid boss” and go with it.

Of course, this is considering they will actually buff tanks for ow2… the ball change was shortsighted and dumb and if they are serious about people wanting to play tanks, nerfs like that need to go.

4 Likes

Players already whine about hog lol…

7 Likes

The concept of 5v5 I actually like it.
The faith I have in the devs in actually thriving the concept? Non existent.
Tanks will still explode in seconds and it will be an experience as miserable, if not even more because of lower sustainability, not help from a second tank and higher damage numbers.
Might as well just play DPS instead until they fix the role or quit the game overall (I already uninstalled it BTW, for the first time ever since release)

16 Likes

Yep no avoiding it. People like playing hog though don’t they?

I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt for now but guess we’ll find out… eventually? Lol

5 Likes

In 3 years.

4 Likes

5v5 for Tanks is very questionable. They will rely on DPS more than on supports and overall, more than ever. For example if you pick Rein, you need really good hitscan DPS and overall, very great teamwork between the two to get value of your protection. For aerial tank its vica versa.

I fear if they ruin it even a little bit, the Tanks will be the one to be babysitted.

1 Like

1700 hour d.va
I feel responsible

1 Like

Overpowered role as eventually evolved into goats . If you can’t enjoy the more balanced version, then you can try dps, and this will double your motivation to keep playing the tank back.

3 Likes

Goats was my favorite meta and in all honesty it was bad only because of sustain creep from heals. Since its over i’ve almost completely used only DPS. When i’ve recently started to play Tank again, i’ve completely lost my motivation because none of them feels fun anymore.

1 Like

True.

Not true and D.va is extremely strong and a Top 5 character.

Wrecking Ball literally can tank do much damage and not be punished.

Ig but you literally can’t die with Fortify so Idk how she can’t tank.

He’s still incredibly strong.

He never was lol

3 Likes

Sigma may be strong but not that enjoyable since he lost his fluidity (barrier placement and rock distance-stun power). Hes more of a chore than a fun character

5 Likes

True a solo tank could be buffed, but it looks like they are going the power shift route with less defense for some offense.

I guess they want tanks to be like fireworks where they can try to get a kill before dying in the next moment.

3 Likes

My main gripe with this idea is that it CAN work, but they haven’t done the necessary steps to MAKE it work.

They want Tanks to be Juggernauts (battering rams rather than shields) and yet they haven’t even considered that even with their newfound offensive abilities, Tanks lack a way to effectively engage the enemy to deal that damage.

7 Likes

Yep they need to give them better engagement options.

2 Likes

The only characters I fear playing dps are other dps. Tanks are wet noodles to me. Just free ult charge really.

3 Likes

Subjective

Overly dramatic is the correct description

Stuns aren’t really the issue with Rein currently, it’s that everyone plays out of his effective range.
If you really wanted a stun simulator, go back to S10 with OG Brig.

D.va is still quite strong and has been for the majority of the games lifespan

I’m not even sure what this is supposed to mean. They’re both balls so I guess?

Because people don’t like Orisa
Though fortify is still a very strong ability

Sigma is still a very strong hero

So if I queue up as tank Hog shouldn’t be an option? Interesting