The Silent Reinhardt nerf

First of all, beautiful speech.

Second of all, on the “do I have to”… I am confident this still won’t lower Rein’s pickrate, because a moving 2000 HP shield still amounts for something anyway. Kind of now Mercy’s constant nerfs never get her off the must pick status, because they’re not addressing why this character is a must pick, just making playing that character more and more miserable.

(hint: “Only main healer in the game”)

Much like Rein will still remain the only main tank, because Winston “I am literally bullied by everything I’m supposed to counter” and Orisa “I can’t deal with anyone in my face” won’t really cut it.

Rein will just be helplessly standing and hoping against hope the DPS will do their job. Which is all that playing tank amounts to anymore…

1 Like

Rein feels horrible now, instead of being rewarded for doing what i usually do (aka drop shield and swing instantly and other animation cancels) i’m punished for it, and his hammer feels shorter too? maybe it’s just me but his swings also feel a bit slower

Yeah he definitely feels sluggish after the patch.

I don’t know if this is an intended change to give opponents more breathing room or an unintended change in an attempt to fix him but either way I’d really appreciate if we could get a dev to talk about it.

I was really enjoying popping my shield down for a cheeky swing, it felt snappy and was often a safe way to assert pressure - I’d really like to know if they intend to bring that back.

1 Like

Yet you say:

Lol. Please learn to logic :wink:

Oh noes! You dance for joy when Hanzo gets nerfed but you cry about Rien changes? The “pro” scene in OW is so cringe.

Hanzo is stronger then he has ever been.

How does Hanzo getting two new abilities and faster projectile speed, while losing one ability he never should have had in the first place conclude in being a nerf?

Blizzard gave every reason to all Hanzo players as to the intention of said changes.

Reinhardt on the other hand goes into the patch machine slightly broken and comes out rusted and slower then before, with no explanation as to why.

These two things are not even close to the same.

5 Likes

I actually think it’s a good thing to remove animation cancelling, even though it means I have to play Rein somewhat more conservative now, that I run the risk of not getting my shield up in time.

The hammer hit detection though, that is completely breaking.

My guess is that this is Reinhardts recode, that is meant to fix all weirdness due to having to monkeypatch his code all the time. And I think it got included in the patch by mistake. Because it’s obviously not done. The spaghetti code for Rein was the reason for shatter and charge being inconsistent, and they still are, so obviously they’re only partway done with the recode.

Let’s cross our fingers and hope they revert him soon and wait until he’s completed before releasing him.

Let me give you an example of what should have been said then;

Blizzard: We have looked at Reinhardt’s ability to cancel the movement penalty put in place by toggling his jump and shield buttons. This was never meant to be a mechanic that could be manipulated in such a way. To remove this function we (Blizzard) have forced his shield animation to finish completely before a new action can take place.

This explanation was never given.

Now, if this was the only issue, and we had to just wait for Blizzard to respond, I don’t think this would be a huge problem. The fact that there are at least 4 other bugs in Reinhardt’s kit that do not work as they should, is an indication that Blizzard should either confirm this is “working as intended” or update the community on whether or not we should expect work to be done.

There are even other things that affect Reinhardt differently then every other hero in the game, which we seemingly just have to live with.

Favor the shooter - Reinhardt doesn’t shoot anything.
Latency driven shield mechanics - If enemy player has latency > to yours the shield doesn’t apply.
The dead space between Reinhardt’s shield and his arm - there is enough room for a player to be in the danger zone where Reinhardt could punish them for being too close, but at the same time cannot do so because the shield is necessary to protect the team. Yet they can shoot Reinhardt freely without the fear of punishment.
All the current Crowd Control - Don’t really have to explain this one.

On top of all these things we just experienced the highest power creep for any patch up to this date. In a patch where Damage Dealers get stronger, how could Blizzard, intentionally or unintentionally, let Reinhardt become weaker?

6 Likes

keep in mind they removed ledgedash from genji and his melee animation cancels

they’re going to keep removing everything that actually flows on heroes until the game is a static, but new player-friendly mess

You absolutely have to be kidding me… Reinhardt only has mele moves other than ONE very slow cast, slow moving, easily dodged ranged move…

plz

oh no the most played hero got nerfed slightly…

You coming at the wrong guy about Genji, lmfao. The illusion of difficulty, and nothing more. His kit literally revolves around second chances. High skill ceiling, sure, but he is NOT hard to play well…because his kit is literally fixing anyway you could possibly screw up. :confused:

Animation cancels are cool in fighters, in FPS like this, it’s kinda garbage and has no place. Of course, that is an opinion and opinion isn’t fact. :slight_smile:

Though I cannot agree more on the Genji statement, as I have felt this way ever since the first time I got him in Mystery Heroes.

Why is it okay for Blizzard to allow certain heroes the flexibility to have animation cancels, that increase their effectiveness, but other heroes cannot?

Blizzard should either allow them in their entirety, or get rid of them all.

Honestly?

Look at WoW. That game has been out for over a decade, and not once has it been balanced. There is always a good, and always a bad. OW will be the same way: because Blizzard isn’t interested in balance, so much as change. Especially with a game where new heroes are being added every couple of months, it gets harder and harder to balance already existing characters to work well with new ones.

1 Like

Yes, they should definitely say that, I’m not arguing. They should also openly state if they are planning to get rid of all animation cancels, and in that case also clarify the difference between a ability cancel and an animation cancel. Because there seems to be some confusion about that, like Genji’s deflect. It’s an ability ancel. It doesn’t have a windup or winddown animation to cancel, it’s just prematurely ending the ability.

Digressing. But yeah, they should be clear on their stance.

This was a separate issue that one of the developers explained in more detail in a separate channel.

Basically, it was an issue with the OWL-only build. Because the ability was bound to the server tickrate, on the OWL-builds of the game (which run at greater than double Live’s tickrate) you could actually gain more speedboost stacks using scroll-wheel and ended up going 400+% speed (exactly like in custom games). They had to issue a hotfix and then pushed that same fix to Live servers for feature parity.

I’ll admit this was unfortunate, but it was only because they didn’t directly, publicly explain it.

Rein is perfectly fine at killing me with his shatter.

Just had a game where a rein shattered me and it didnt connect, I wasnt behind anything or near cover or anything, and I didnt get stunned, He walked over and killed me anyways because I was in tears laughing my a** off.

Im so sorry Rein mains, Ive been playing Sombra for a while now so I know feels.

2 of the animation canceling works, Wasn’t familiar with the shield jump one though.

Youtube: DJvavThxpgA

What a pitiful excuse, balance is the most important thing about games like Overwatch. You can’t justify the lack of balance the game is in right now, not until all characters are treated the same when it comes to balance.

Mentality like this is the reason some heroes haven’t been touched with balance changes despite them being OP or underpowered. Tracer is the prime example of OPness as she was allowed to roam free killing everyone for 2 years, Blizzard was afraid to touch her despite peoples demand and was redeemed balanced. Until Brigitte came and they decided to finally nerf Tracer after so long, but in my opinion Brigitte was enough of a nerf.

Then you have Sombra who was buffed then immediately nerfed to the dirt after 2 weeks, literally 2 WEEKS. I’m still salty from that.

Don’t even let me get started on Reinhardt and his game breaking bugs that existed since launch…

You misunderstand. I’m not justifying anything–as I have some of the same complaints as you do, I’d wager. But I’ve been playing WoW since 2006, and it hasn’t been balanced a single day since. Ever. 13 years since it’s launch and Blizzard hasn’t achieved balance yet.

Because they don’t strive for it. If they did, they would listen to many of the suggestions put forth for Mercy. They did not. They locked and deleted the thread quietly.

See? A lot of the same complaints. :joy:

I say just grin and bare it because I know no matter how much hell we raise on the forums, no matter how good a suggestion is, now matter how well constructed a counter argument is…

They listen to their own good idea fairies, and money: they do NOT listen to us.

1 Like