The "flex" changes on the PTR

According to you. Not them. At this point they could be using it either way.

No. Multiple role queue exists in solo play. Not flex.

You’re in a part and get multiple roles to queue for. Multi-role party.

Which makes sense because people have different SRs for different roles. Why is that a terrible thing? You wouldn’t want someone playing their silver level DPS in a diamond game.

2 Likes

Prett,

Read the following.

Notice I wasn’t replying to the OP.

I know. But it makes what you two are debating about irrelevant to the proposal. It also makes your point rather moot as that is not possible in what is proposed.

1 Like

Would only work if both players’ ratings for both roles are close. Otherwise, it wouldn’t work due to balance issues.

Please read that ^^^^^^

1 Like

It makes sense if that’s why you teamed up for that purpose.

The team I used to play with (prior to role lock sucking the fun out of the game) knew full well which roles we could swap between if we needed to. Someone was struggling with tank, I’d swap from DPS to help out, someone struggling with healer, the tank would swap off to balance out the issues.

For us, it didn’t matter what “rank” we played at as long as we were confident enough in the player’s ability to run that role.

I’m sorry, hard role lock actually ruined the fun of this game for me.

5 Likes

That’s not enough.

Player A 2200 rating DPS, 2900 rating support
Player B 2100 rating DPS, 2300 rating support

Player A queues for DPS, player B queues for support. Once in the match, player A swaps roles with player B, causing an SR imbalance.

THis would not be possible as…

Player A would have to queue for dps and support, PLayer B would would have to queue for both dps and support.

Ah, I didn’t realise your original comment was directly referring to the proposal in the OP. Thought you meant the role-based SR system as a whole.

In groups it could totally make sense, for sure.

1 Like

You could just limit it to within 300 SR.

1 Like

You’re just being silly. By your own logic you’ve explained why the use of the word here would be incompatible with the definition of a flex player, and yet you also argue that “it could be used either way.” So which is more likely: They demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of a core concept in their game, or you failed to realize that the word flex is an English word that can be used in more than one way?

Queuing for multiple roles means you have flexible options.

Excellent, you’ve also come up with your own alternate name.

But why did you say multi-role party!? Multi means more than one! That implies that all parties must select more than one role and that duo queue players can’t queue as two tanks!

3 Likes

Nah im trying to get lower :slight_smile:

Either, This is called a concession where I am pointing out that either of us could be right or wrong here.

However, What I am pointing out is when using the English language you also have to be aware of other meanings that may be more prevalent to the audience you are speaking.

For instance, If flex already has a VERY defined meaning amongst Overwatch players then you should avoid using it as a descriptor outside of it when possible.

Which means that if YOU are correct and they are not associating it with flexing as a role then they are still demonstrating ignorance as to what flex means in this game.

OR

If I am right then and they ARE associating it with flex as a role then it ALSO demonstrates they have zero clue what it means.

So if you are correct the proper action would be to rename it “Multi party role” or some to that respect.

OR

If I am correct then they need to learn what flex actually means and change the name.

Either way. The result SHOULD be the same.

No more then “flex” would mean you would have to choose multiple roles. It demonstrates options. Not requirements.

1 Like

We can’t have any swaps mid-game or even after one sees the map being that’s a huge competitive advantage.

You end up with a player who only goes support on KOTH and only tank on 2cp being “ranked” the same as the tank/support to plays all the map pool.
That would be fundamental unfair, the system has to be the same for everyone.

I get that sounds stupid to even suggest given the huge range of SR in this game but even playground for everyone is the foundation of all games.

this is just a nice way to hopefully speed up the queue. Being I would be more than willing to queue tank/support and have a friend go DPS.

No.

Equal opportunity is the foundation of all competitions. Equal circumstances is not.

1 Like

Disagree, the rule set being the same for everyone is what makes fair play. A person should not have an advantage based off a queue system.

even if as I suggested before it’s a little comical to even care when we are talking about a cartoon shooter played over a 500 to 5000 SR range. It’s not like oh no some random gold tank is going up trash ladder by being high gold over low gold etc due to a flex queue.

but still, fair is fair and role queue is pick a role and you get locked into it.

Its an advantage based off effort. Not the queue system. Meaning someone who puts the effort to find a team should have some advantage over those who just easy solo queue.

1 Like

“Easy” solo queue, lol. Being part of an organized team already gives you an advantage: people that will actually listen and work with the team. Solo queue means you can get people who don’t.