The devs are bunch of gaslighters

Only once they progress through it somehow, which will take time. In meantime, they would proudly wear default “I am new to this game” skin.

Or they would have to buy skin from shop for real money to avoid standing out.

I guess it would depend on how they implemented it. in OW1 the skins you got were completely random and not at all indicative of rank or experience, so if they followed that structure it wouldn’t be an issue

Dude, I literally quoted them saying that they are adding skins for events to be earned.

No, they said the matchmaker is great. That’s literally the title of their post.

Of course, cuz he thinks it’s great, no need to discuss or mention.

Oh ok, so now you are trolling me. Or perhaps you didn’t play OW1?

1 Like

It’s worse in OW2, since here you got shop-only skins. So you have, basically, 3 grades of players:

• grade 1: newbie, has only default skin, nothing else. No one likes that guy;
  • grade 2: experienced player. Unlocked all free skins, still not very commited to the game;
  • grade 3: rich player. Spends real money on shiny new skins, unlikely to ever drop the game;

Normally I’d agree with you, but we literally had a progression system back in OW1 albeit a very basic one, namely account levels and the borders.

3 Likes

yeah I agree the shop brings in a whole bunch of issues by itself but if they simply allowed you to unlock past skins at random like before I don’t think new players would stand out

obviously blizzard wouldn’t do that because they’d rather charge for them but that’s how i’d do it at least

Skins are, basically, another type of competition.

Once I predicted, that Overwatch will have, at the end, only 2 somewhat mixing types of players - very commited and very rich.

Just having skin may not be enough to not stand out, you need “latest fashion”, so to speak.

i’ve personally never seen them that way but I can kinda see how others could

It’s surprising, as in competitive game, everything can become subject for competition. Skins, ranks, even nicknames.

When it comes to figuring out, who is better, nothing is off the table.

Of course, gaming companies are happy to oblige, by offering better skins, nickname changes and other stuff. Not for free, obviously. And with players being determined to prove, that they are better, than everyone else, it’s easy money.

What used to be best skin in the game, tomorrow can become just another skin in growing pile of “not to use” skins, as something even better and more shiny was released.

Bingo. If a game starts off with not having rewards and people just play it because it’s fun then they’re going to continue playing it because it’s fun. If a game starts off with rewards, and then at some point takes that away, even if the game is fun, people will feel jilted and be much less likely to want to play.

1 Like

CS:GO has lootbox drops though, which can be sold for some money.

The title says “Building a great match” which is not the same thing as “The matchmaker is perfect”. Especially since in the blog post there is literally mention of matchmaking issues.

Which, if they were trying to gaslight you so you’d believe the matchmaker was running perfectly, wouldn’t be mentioned at all. Gives away the entire game if you say the quiet part out loud you know?

He literally says at the beginning of the blog post that the blog post is a 6-month retrospective that isn’t going into detail about specific issues, such as matchmaking. There are other blog posts that he’s already released that go into this.

Oh I did.

Most events offered a lot of skins, but the vast majority of them were found in the themed loot boxes. You’d get loot boxes for free during the event, so there was always a chance you’d get some halloween themed goodies, but all the achievements for the holiday events? They rewarded sprays, not skins.

Maybe your memory is a bit foggy? It’s been quite a while after all.

man
this therad makes me wanna eat glue

He’s quoting the latest blog post while you are referring to an older one.

Latest blog post - Director’s Take – Reflections on Overwatch 2

Match maker blog post you are referring to - Director’s Take – Making a Great Match - News - Overwatch

Working from the same sources should probably help this conversation out lol

Yeah I remember that blog post.

Literally the contents of it focus on how matchmaking functions, that there are still issues, and then it details some of the changes being made to improve the matchmaking further. So the OP is being extremely disingenuous.

That or they just read the title, raged at it assuming that Aaron was saying “The matchmaker is perfect.” and then decided to create this thread about how the developers are ‘gaslighting’ us.

1 Like

While that’s cool and all for you, the majority of the casual playerbase require incentives to keep playing, for long periods. This is especially given how spoilt for choice people are with games these days.

I agree, though I figured it prudent to point out that the OP wasn’t even discussing the same article even. Which is comical since they started off calling those who don’t agree as special snowflakes lol.

I agree that they aren’t actong like it’s new. Is there a postive take? Of course, I’d be shocked if they talked negatively about their own game. Should they have been removed in the first place (things like on fire)? No, but glad itscoming back.

I like the quote from earlier I found. Something along the lines of, “The number one innovation in-gaming in the last decade has been engineering addiction.”

It was sort of nice to see some of those mechanics go away, but welp, it’ll be back.

2 Likes

As someone who works in high level corporate environments, I would love to be a fly on the wall for a day to be able to see just wth goes on behind closed doors in this dev team :sweat_smile: What a train wreck.

4 Likes

I play Overwatch to eat up time because its just a way to chill.

Sadly, anymore the game is anything BUT chill. Its a game trying to stage itself as a “competitive hardcore game”. When everything about it, is NOT “hardcore”.

The counterplay is terrible and there is no need for ults. Until they strip that out of the game. its not competitive, its just “throw of the dice” and poker depending upon a poorly programmed match making system and a set of bad balance scripts that pretty much solidify the outcome of the match as it was made.

2 Likes