The 'Black Girl' Hero & Apex Legends

Apex is made by ppl who created Titanfall. So Apex take places of Titanfall 2

I am well aware. I just don’t want to refer to Titanfall because it’s almost unrelated. Apex’s lore is independent from Titanfall.

only white male in apex:
bearded fatso in mask
locked behind paywall (only 2 of 8 characters are)
uses toxic gas
voiced by soldier76
absolutely useless for team skills with no synergy

it’s like “you’d better to play our diverse cast”

2 Likes

I find it genuinely baffling that anyone cares about this. Everyone could be Omnic and it would have zero impact on the game for me; there is simply no way to satisfy everyone and tick every box, you guys are insatiable and will never cease complaining.

Wait, really? That’s cool. Shame he’s locked.

i mean…really as you play, you will unlock them…if you are lazy or cant wait…you can just…buy them with actual money

It’s set in the same universe, afaik

Yeah, so? It’s silly, just like the ‘white’ descriptor. By reinforcing such nonsense you’re still defining yourself on their terms and give legitimacy to these racist distinctions. Or am i missing something?

Like i get it from a machiavellian pov, rejecting this might mean less people that identify themselves as black and that means being a weaker political and social entity. But how does that serve the average black person, thats now getting pressured to conform from both sides? (just to make sure you don’t try to hang me on this, its of course not even close to an equal amount of pressure)

Genuine questions btw.

1 Like

So if apex adds future dlc characters will they be shoe horned because it wasn’t in base game ?

That’s true, but I’m not sure what you want one lone little black woman to do about it. We live in a society defined by a racial caste system. It’s a fact of life. I can’t practically or in meaningless online debate act like it doesn’t exist simply because it’s an arbitrary system, no more than I can suddenly start running red lights just because there’s no scientific law that says the wavelengths of light we perceive as red mean a vehicle on the road has to come to a stop. Social systems might be arbitrary, and they may have come from a place of malfeasance, but they still exist all the same, and equating their intangibility with nonexistence is fallacious.

It’s a irrelevant question. If every black person today decided to suddenly stop calling themselves black, it doesn’t mean white people will care, it doesn’t mean we’ll stop being discriminated against and disenfranchised, and it certainly doesn’t mean that we’ll be closer to achieving a post-racial society. Frankly, that goal isn’t on our shoulders, as hard as we work for it; it’s on white people to start dismantling it from within because they’re the only ones with the power to do so.

As for how racial categorization help black people in particular, it is ironically the foundation of our sense of community. The slave trade eliminated all ties to our native lands and forced completely disparate groups of people to come together and create something that hinges mainly upon navigating and overcoming systems of oppression. Our food, language, music and art, and other facets of culture and history all can be traced back as survival mechanisms in a system where we’re near the bottom. And while it’s a sad shambles, it’s nonetheless our own story, one we’re not obligated to simply give up just because it’s a reaction to an arbitrary social system. So I mean, it’s not that I want to call myself black because it gives me leverage in anything (although I do like black American culture) so much as I simply have nothing else to call myself from an ethnic context, and even if I tried it wouldn’t matter. I’d still see racism towards people who look like me all the time.

3 Likes

1 Like

Telling me what i’m missing.

Maybe i was too direct? You know i am bavarian, cultural tactfulness is not really our thing.

No, no. Of course one can’t just ignore it as that would also mean turning a blind eye to the consequences. Rejecting or at least refusing to reinforce its legitimacy, not its existence.

Probably a bad example but i don’t see catalonian independence happening without a popular rejection of Spain’s claim of authority over the area. It certainly is a fact of life right now though.

Fair enough.

I understand that. What i don’t get is the, again undoubtedly far weaker, pressure for some kind of conformity from the other side. How does that help the average black person?

I know anecdote and all, but i’ve personally seen how that ‘being pulled from all sides’ or whatever can weigh on someone in my ex girlfriend. Born and raised in Germany, parents emigrated here from Turkey. Bigotry was always there, no matter how hard she tried to fit in. But the pressure from her family (which were not the stereotypical super conservative muslim kind btw) to also conform to these notions of what a ‘proper turkish woman’ ought to be like only made her feel worse.

Yeah, that’s what i didn’t think of when i wrote response. I’m just not a fan of drawing lines in the sand and forcing people into boxes, if you forgive me some platitudes.

Let’s say Pharah does consider herself to be black or Lucio sees himself as latino because they prefer it that way and it gives them that sense of being part of a community they love or whatever. What’s the point of telling them ‘you know, actually…’?

1 Like

Two things: One, rejecting the system is effectively the same as ignoring it, and that can have catastrophic consequences for black individuals. I’m not going to suddenly presume I’m anything more than black around cops just because I simultaneously hold a moral viewpoint that cops should protect and serve me as they would a rich white dude. Living is a really nice thing I’d like to keep maintaining as long as possible.

Second, I also don’t believe that racial classifications are inherently malevolent, in the same way I don’t think gender classifications are despite the existence of misogyny. The issue is instead how these classifications are wielded as tools of oppression. It’s not being black that’s a problem. It’s the world disliking those who are black. I should be able to simply be black without anyone pitching a fit about it.

It’s a survival mechanism. Race is not the same as nationality. Your example of the pull between Bavarian and Turkish culture is not necessarily anything I can relate to.

For one, black-targeted racism is near universal. There are very few places I can go in the world- including Africa- to escape it, while technically your girlfriend has a choice to simply return to Germany or generally more liberally-minded countries that accept “white” immigrants, so the only practical choice for black people is to make due with the hand we’re dealt.

Second, black people by and large like their culture because it’s the only thing we have. Your girlfriend has both Bavarian and Turkish ties. Again, we don’t because of the slave trade. Whatever my ancestral ties are were destroyed centuries ago and at this point in the game, trying to reintroduce them back into my life would be the same as trying to force me to conform to being Japanese. We’re black; that’s the beginning and end of the matter.

Subsequently, the pressure we feel is in embracing what we’ve created in a society that constantly tells us our culture and existence is wrong. What that tends to lead to on the other hand are countless stories of rediscovery. This is what you’ll see in things like “blackout day,” “black excellence,” natural hair stories, and so on. Our issue is in being ourselves in a world that almost universally dislikes us. Subsequently–

If Pharah were a real person and trying to claim to be a part of black culture- a la Rachel Dolezal- I’d tell her to go screw herself.

Black people have endured not just a rejection of their culture, but the systemic theft of it when it’s convenient. We have made large swathes of contributions to American history in terms of art, culture, technology, and innovation, and yet these stories are buried. Naturally, we don’t like non-black people coming into the fold and trying to make claim to even our identity too. We as a people are not up for grabs.

And talk about cultural differences- we REALLY don’t care how you feel about the issue of conformity and drawing lines in the sand. Our whole struggle is partly about trying to conform to merely survive. We have no sympathy for people with a less intimate view of the situation, for people who want to be black because it’s cool.

In a world fraught with systemic disenfranchisement against us, we have a right to establish the lines of our personal identity at the very least. It’s as one uncharacteristically empathetic white guy said once: “Black folks don’t have much, but they’ll kill you over the little they have.” If you weren’t down for the struggle from birth, you ain’t black, and we’re largely not going to accept you when you try to come in at 30-something years old and suddenly say “Hey guys, I’m black too.” The most you would get is some amazing roasts on Black Twitter.

Now, Latino and Hispanic identity is a different story, because it seems to lean more to a national identity than an ethnic one. You can be a white Latino or a black Latino or mixed. I don’t know if or how those hold in Brazil either. Lucio considering himself Latino wouldn’t bother me, from a Brazilian context. But if he came up to America I’d tell him to watch that, because that’s simply not the way we do things here. To a cop, he’s black, and one who led a violent revolution too? He’d easily be a hashtag like some of the original Ferguson protesters have become. Doesn’t matter that he’s famous either- we just had an incident where a black television star almost got lynched by two white dudes.

Regardless, being an individual human being is about learning how to navigate uncontrollable systems of social order. Life isn’t a Disney movie where being wholly yourself is 100% the correct thing to do and serves no consequences. It sucks, but life sucks. People make due either through acceptance or by trying to simply change the social order to better fit their needs.

So again your question of how it benefits black people to call themselves black, or even to gatekeep blackness, is just inherently nonsense from my point of view, because it hinges on this idea that we actually have that much of a choice, or that the choice is in our hands, or that we want to make the choice to discard it. It’s not a nationality or a citizenship you can just apply for. Me being black is simply all there is from an ethnic standpoint. And I like my culture. So why would I want to throw it away just because non-black folks don’t understand???

1 Like

Some of what you’ve written others have told me before but i did get my answers, i think. And there’s not a lot to respond to or disagree, so i’ll just leave it at that. Except for a clarification.

Well, it may have been formulated in a nonchalant way but it’s just not about validating feelings or wanting your sympathy. Why the hell would i ask these provocative questions if i wanted that? I believe it to be a rational conclusion and essential to universal solidarity.

No disrespect towards you was personally meant. But when we start talking about issues of identity and race from the lens of black people, you have to understand that this has all been laid out millions of times before over centuries. I don’t perceive myself to be really doing much except regurgitating thought from black activists who in turn is taking all of this from black civil rights leaders who in turn took all of this from black abolitionists; and all of that stuff is easily accessible and has been said so many times before that, honestly, there’s no reason what I’m saying should be new or controversial. So when someone comes along and asks black people why we deal with race and identity in the ways we do, you slowly start wondering why you’re answering the same questions over and over and over again, and then you start feeling like you’re being taken for a ride.

Frankly, black people don’t want to always be put in charge of answering provocative questions about ourselves, especially because to most people, they are indeed just questions, little thought exercises to mull over and play about with on the Internet before moving on to something else that actually concerns their day-to-day. But to us, we’re constantly having to explain our whole damn life story and identity, to justify ourselves when sometimes we just want to be left alone for a single day, and there is an inherent annoyance with a part of you being treated like a cavalier debate exercise in a pub, even from people like you who approach with obviously good intentions and an interest in wanting to understand, people like you who I genuinely appreciate. So expect some shortness, and even for some folks to tell you to buzz off. I tend to do the latter around here because most people don’t even want to engage and have me answer anything like you have. They want a fight, and I’m not about to fight with white gamers of all people on things I know I’ve got the moral high ground on. I’d rather just talk about why Lucio’s the bomb-diggety.

I don’t think that’s how psychology works. I mean, think of all the evil British villains in media, no one with a brain takes that as a serious representation of British people.
My point is, if someone is stupid enough to believe whatever they see in media they’re likely stupid enough to ignore a message that contradicts their beliefs.

I still fail to see how. Simply seeing any other race in something won’t educate people, at most it’ll just remind them that other races exist I guess?

That’s true but not all media has a message. Especially online shooters that are just made for fun. Think about call of duty, in multiplayer you can play as any gender/race but there’s no message to be ingested. It’s just a personal preference.

That’s what I think all this is, when people ask for specific identities it’s just because they want a little bit of themselves in the game, which is totally fine but I wish people would stop acting like it’s some grand crusade for representation.

1 Like

I mean i’m sure a black female will come. But this game is much more diverse than Apex Legends. I feel like people think black people are the only race that’s under represented in games. This game has egyptians, indians, asians, 2 black guys, hispanics, mechs, old woman, a body builder woman. pacific islander, This game is much more divsese than Apex Legends or any other game for that matter, than by a long shot. But having 2 black females = more diverse to some people apparently.

1 Like

That is a lot to just say “I shouldn’t have to educate you.” when people are asking genuine questions wanting to be educated. While I agree race is a thing all us black people deal with. Some of us deal with it in a much more different way that has been much more successful than making villains of people that aren’t from a time passed.

While I agree and disagree with things you said, don’t ever turn down someone asking a genuine question. You may think they are just ‘mulling it over and moving on’ but you’d be surprised how often things like this stick with people. It is also especially important that people hear from several sides involving what us black people think. I don’t think current well known black activists do a good job on either side (both are pretty extreme). I would also like to point out a lot of the narrative involving black people is handled and controlled by rich/upper middle class white people. Both for progressive (and sometimes radical) activism as well as conservative and (and sometimes radical) activism.

The entire thing is much more nuanced than you are giving it credit for, and hating or disliking current white people (especially millennial white people) does nothing to help.

You poor thing. They aren’t obsidian black skin toned, thus aren’t counting towards the quota.

Please learn to read. I am well aware but Apex Legends lore has little to do with Titanfall lore. It is independent of Titanfall lore.