The 'Black Girl' Hero & Apex Legends

If someone has european and african ancestory they are black? Even tho they are more close to their european ancestor?

Is where the white “race” came from, Also the real americans are red, the asians are yellow, the polinesyans are also red. THE WHITE AMERICANS CAME FROM EUROPE, just so you can remenber.

Yes, but people have this strange “need” of labelling people by their color, and its worse when they treat for example black blood as a curse, “if your family has, you are black even when you dont look”. Its not shame to have black blood, but people seem to include all those people who dont consider themselves as black people anyways, and they cant relate to those characters that should be “representing” them. Thats the real problem, those people are more represented by Sombra than LĂșcio.

Well at least for me all the representation Blizzard did so far was great, they didnt add a “Token gay hero” or a “Token black hero”, for me, they are taking their time with the black female because they dont want her to just be black.

OK bye, is morning here already :sunglasses:

1 Like

what i don’t get is why “black and female”?
What’s with this combination that has to be in the game RIGHT. NOW.
I mean, it’s not like the game lacks variety, there’s at least one hero for every ethnicity. We’ve got american, irish, african, egyptian, native, chinese, korean, japanese, etc. Every continent has at least two representatives.

Stop acting as if blizzard is racist and this game is uninclusive because they haven’t added specifically a black girl.

ps: i don’t consider having a black girl forced or stupid arguments like that. It’s not like a black girl has to have a justification.
I’m just curious why of all things, this specific thing is asked SO MUCH.

1 Like

Imagine being offended that a certain thing isnt added
I want a furry bisexual mtf norwegian that identifies as an apache helicopter added or i am mad xD ;p

1 Like

It starts becoming a lot more rational when you look at it as a way to consolidate power and resources, and an easy way for the elites people to divide the common people to maintain that power, rather than as something that is a legitimate attempt at classification.

White Latinos are probably the next group to get folded into the banner of whitness that aren’t currently there, just like the Irish were not too long ago.

1 Like

This is untrue. Media can educate, even fictional work that is not attempting to educate. People pickup messages from that media all the time. And education can and does change the mind of ignorant people.

Representation has benefits not only for the people being represented but also how others perceive them.

2 Likes

Absolutely. All in the Family was very much about the viewers’ journey as much as it was about Archie Bunker’s journey.

The problem is now if hero 30 is a black female everybody is going to say they released a black female hero because Apex Legends did.

Geographically Egypt is in Africa, but egyptians don’t identify themselves as black, they identify as middle-eastern people.

Also how dare you say old Ana its not a queen :rage:

3 Likes

But for example in overwatch. What would the message be if there was simply a black female hero? There wouldn’t be a message for people to take in, it’s simply another hero but this one is a different skin color.

Yes, education. And I seriously do not see how simply having a black female in a game would suddenly make an ignorant racist/sexist think “oh I guess they’re ok”.
There is already so much evidence and examples in real life of different races being practically the same yet ignorant people ignore it, you know, because they’re ignorant. So if common sense and logic won’t convince them I highly doubt a fictional game character will.

It’s only real benefit is now a black female can say “hey I’m in this game” which doesn’t really do anything or change anything it’s just a personal preference.

Maerz, if this is the sort of contrived issue at the forefront of your mind you are pitiful.

Literally no one would say that considering how long modelling and commissioning the art for the trailer takes

I don’t know because this community is full of surprises. Asks for one thing then complain about it later when they get it.

Pretty positive they’re wearing weave but okay lmao go off. Sincerely a black female.

People take in media messages passively, and are informed by the number of them. An individual media piece is unlikely to change anyone’s mind, but a lot of them will. People learn through repetition. Including a black woman in Overwatch might inspire some individual people to change their mind but most likely it won’t. What it would do is contribute to the lack of images of positive black women, black women as the heroes. Which is not an image a lot of people see, and their view of black women is shaped accordingly. If more things like Overwatch included black women, if there wasn’t always a reason they needed to be included or just negative, but it was just a normal part of media then that would help educate people.

Just because they are from Africa does not make them black :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

“kotaku”
is not even bait at this point

Yeah
 they’re not black.

They’re Arabic. They’re Middle Eastern. They aren’t black.

There ARE black arabs, black folk from the Middle East, but they are much darker skinned than Pharah and Ana, who are
 just
 Egyptian Arabs.

2 Likes