Sym is not rightly reworked ( 🙄 Sym is not a Taxi; 60 Days later.....stop Necroing this)

You can change the name of the roles but that won’t actually change how heroes are used in the end.

The thing is that all of Symmetra’s supportive value is put into her ult. A Symmetra without her ult is worth a lot less to her team than a Tracer or Sombra without their ults.

Even without her turrets, old Symmetra still had shield to help her close distance, before melting other team. Same shield could be thrown ahead of other teammate charging in, to help them reach target with less damage taken.

Having secondary fire bypassing shields was also of good use, as it could make narrow ways impossible to pass, without taking heavy damage(it passed through players too).

1 Like

And now she has significantly stronger turrets, TP to close distance instantly, and while her pierce was good, that’s all it was good for outside of extremely close range just like her beam. To hit most heroes in a 1v1 outside of its effective range required a HEAVY and unnecessary read on an enemy.

Assuming your teleport won’t get destroyed. Would prefer shield over teleport.

Teleport because she has a better shield too. No contest. I’ve played since 1.0. I already knew what it was like to excel without either.

Between immobile, 5000hp shield, that doesn’t even last very long, and moving, 1000hp shield, on cooldown, second feels a better option.

1 Like

An immobile Shield that shuts down all forms of range for 15 seconds instead of one instance single source of ranged damage every 10 seconds.

You can also use it to render your turrets virtually indestructible my most of the roster. Combine that with the fact that you can almost always stall 4s (soon to be 3.2 seconds) and you have a virtually indestructible wall that can output a total of 330 dps. You become the best shield tank in the game for 15 seconds while also serving as the most lethal. While even being able to continue tanking after death if that occurs.

You don’t even understand how much space this can create which is the whole purpose. Sym draws a line across the map and says do not cross it.

1 Like

After all my hours on Sym this is the first time I am putting my two bits into this thread. I rarely comment on the forums and other places because people tend to jump down my proverbial throat and think its okay.

As for my take on Syms changes to be fair, I hate some of them others are eh
 lackluster. I think that with a few tweaks she might be better for those of us that love playing her and have for all this time
 If Blizzard were to come to me tomorrow and say “Hey what would you change about her” My choices would be simple.

1). I think that syms main fire should have a soft lock on it, like moiras, its a happy medium I think between what it was, and what it is now. Beam length is fine I dont have issues with that

2). Sym should have her old turret count back
 6 of them, back down to the damage they did before, in other words HALF of what they do now
 To be honest? I dont think the new turrets are double the old, but thats just me. They should deploy like they do now but I am one that prefers map coverage
 Also, When they break the three you have which still take bearly anything to do
 Moira can do it from down the block heh 
 It takes forever to get them back up again. I used to prefer to put a few where we were, and the rest protecting our flank

I am not a fan of her current tp I feel its clunky in play ( but I guess I am not used to it -.- kinda sucks having to relearn a whole character after having played her for over a thousand hours
 )

I wont lie, I miss her personal shield, I cant tell you how many times I saved myself AND my team with that small biotic shield. From Dva ultis and the like
 Pharah, McCree
 Now? Well I feel like I am at the mercy of literally “everyone” I cant even help to protect my healers from a genji, tracer, sombra ( which sym is SUPPOSED to counter ) Its very frustrating and has kinda made me disheartened playing her. Mind you I am not at all complaining, there are other heroes I play I mostly heal but yah
 Stinks not to be able to play defense on the hero I had grown to love, and play well.

I have also been noticing that in active play when I am trying to burn down a Rein shield ( mind you being at full charge too ) it just wont give
 I was thinking maybe it was just a bug or something but I dunno, lol I have at times stood there toe to toe with a Rein and his shield just live under the brutal burn of my main weapons fire.

Thats just my two bits guys =) dont hate me. I just want Sym to feel useful again and counter who she was meant to counter.

:two_hearts: Mucho Cariño :two_hearts:

5 Likes

I agree completely. 20 characters

The ability to slow other players is such a underrated part of her kit that I feel like the developers didn’t expand on. She should’ve been kept as a support while boosting her support and debuff capabilities. Currently, if they are to keep her as a DPS, then at least make Photon Barrier slow the other team if they pass through it.

1 Like

She could get ability to reinforce ally barriers, so they deal small damage and slow down opposite team.

Moira does not have any type of lock. It’s purely the animation.

Then they’d do 180, Sym would be punished more harshly when all went down, and she could teleport that stack of 180 damage which would take six shots to kill for a hero that has no splash. Do not give her this.

By the time they destroy your intial defense, you already have the full set back. Same for if you die throwing your last turret. Meaning in both of these situations, 6 turrets would be 3 turrets only doing 90dps compared to 150dps.

Alarm turrets are and always have been useless. Why would you even want an alarm/flanker turret when you could just put it near you. If someone never goes that way, you have one or more turrets doing genuinely nothing.

Her new barrier does the exact same things and more.

You can drive away every one of them with one orb. If they aren’t dumb, they will disengage. Not to mention Sym has never countered flankers. She still doesn’t, but can still do a much better job than before. [quote=“Sylphea-11517, post:322, topic:245722”]
Stinks not to be able to play defense on the hero I had grown to love, and play well.
[/quote]

If you truly played old Sym well, you’d do well with 3.0 once you adjust to the quirks/learning curve of her kit. Otherwise, she’s relatively the same in terms of her obnoxious playstyle which is now even more obnoxious.

She wasn’t given that mechanic to be a shield buster. Not that she can’t use it to bust a shield eventually, but there are better options. She was given that mechanic on her beam because the developers saw and realized the only way for 2.0 to get reliable charge was to charge on a stray barrier or on a barrier that clipped through a wall or something.

Also, try adding your turrets to the equation when at full charge. Then you’ll have an easier time actually breaking and shield. If two of your turrets lock on to Rein (as in not the shield itself but actually Rein) he cannot move if his shield is up and not blocking at least one beam, meaning he’s forced to turn around or drop his shield. This can apply to anything that forces a movement penalty, like Brig, Widow scoping/Hanzo with an arrow drawn, Dva firing, Hogs ult etc.

That is untrue, I am just not going to quote each and every thing you said, but make a small reply ( its late and I am tired =) )

I can quite easily kill a genji, tracer, anything with a moira beam over a sym one. it does in fact have a soft lock because of the huge size of her hit box. You have to bail around a corner or break full los before it stops doing dmg
 Syms at no time does that at all
 So they are not the same.

I still stand by her 6 turrets =)

You might think alarm turrets are useless I disagree, I cant even tell you how many doomfist, pharah, genji, hanzo’s I have killed sneaking over back walls etc
 I would even like it if we knew “who” broke the turrets tbh, torb has that shown why not Sym ( but thats another pipe dream )

The “new” barrier, does do it, but its an ultimate over a cooldown that can save you when you are toe to toe with another person

As for her shield busting if I am standing beside a Rein that is protecting me with his shield, you bet I will be burning the enemies shield. It seemed like a bug or maybe latency or something rather than a normal occurrence,

3 Likes

First they couldn’t add much because they were adding social features because “the community is toxic”

Now they can’t keep up with the events because they’re reworking heroes.

What’s next? They can’t add new skins and voice lines because they’re working on a big special thing?

It’s hitbox is enormous while being almost impossible (but still possible) to miss and the animation swirls to the targets center mass while what is around the purple bit is the actual size of the beam.

Then you want her to be considerably weaker for longer periods of time throughout a match while not being able to control as much space with them as she already can frequently.

But you can do the same thing by hitting tab, seeing what on their team is not present currently, and put two and two together.

What if the alarm turret you place were your first turret? If no one goes through the flank route, you’d have to replace your whole set just to reset that turret. Considering how much harder it would be to maintain the full set after that, it could literally sit on that flank route for the entire game because you can’t reset the whole set.

You can still do that. Syms ult is perfectly fine to blow to save yourself. If no one is on point but you’re about to die, just pop it. Zen would do the same thing and his ult is more valuable than yours. The lives of both heroes are worth more than their ults.

You can even use it as a pseudo dps ult by ulting a turret bomb to wall it off in the enemy backline. Even if it isn’t for the team, it’s still perfectly fine to do this (provided you do it properly which takes some practice to play around how easy it is to shut down). Teleporting behind someone with a 270dps burst (turrets and an orb where the turrets slow them into being a free kill) that cannot be easily destroyed by most backliners because of a 5k health godwall can be devastating.

If you want 3.0 to feel more like 2.0, then do absolutely dumb things like this until you become familiar with when and where to utilize it. 3.0 can do so much more far more quickly than 2.0 and I simply could not see it until about 100 hours in.

I mean ya if your tanks aren’t passive as all hell and back down there’s a lot you can do with Sym on the frontlines, but nobody really protects her most of the time. If you’re at full charge, you aren’t really shield busting compared to actual shield bust (unless you’re factoring in her turrets, which will amp up the damage to 330) which also needs to factor in teammates helping. The actual tool is purely for pressure, with the payoff being massive potential for dps. It also allows your Rein to be even more aggressive. It’s not as bad as people believe it is.

1 Like

Just what I thought, trash.

To summarize, Ill just say this, Those are my opinions and I am sticking to them. Its what I would change and thats what I stated in the initial post. Ya kinda lost me at saying that my playstyle is basically stupid and that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. Personally I find it silly to throw down a Sym ulti to block a McCree thats chasing you
 but thats just me heh. I feel thats just throwing it away.

What it all boils down to is we each have what we prefer to have happen and thats what makes the world go round
 Difference of opinions.

1 Like

Well since I used to always use flanking sentry turrets knowing who broke them would determine if you go alone to face the person or with help. IE if its a tracer or sombra you can handle it alone
 if its a Pharah, doomfist, etc you might need some help. How is that trash?

2 Likes

Untrue? O RLY?

http ://www.omnicmeta.com/2018/07/patch-125-analysis-new-symmetra.html?m=1

Read that patch analysis by Omnic Meta. Not only is Sym dead last for final blows out of all dps, she is even beaten by most tanks.

It doesnt specifically say Zarya, but even if its not, thats a DPS that still struggling to net kills compated to most tanks. That is inarguably bad.

But hey, at least she knows how to charge enemy healer ults with her average damage done :confused:

1 Like