Support players, Git Gud!

Not really, but you can think what you want, Blizzard know really good the problem of the main/Shield tank have too much advantage of on off tank.

They started in 2019/2020 to try to fix this and in 2020 first time talked of a more brawler tank.

Synergy have in nearly the total of the case dumbed down the skills needed in the game, specially when a shield was involved, so removing it only raised the skills.

Any changes they have made actually with Overwatch 2 raised the skills, specially skills like game awareness, positioning and maps and covers learning.

Supports are still game chantingly impactful in ow2 but impactful ≠ fun .take ow1 brig for example. But since this is a big concern , and it’s just first beta , devs will obv do something about it

All that is true for all players, not just supports. Everyone needs to be more careful with 1 less teammate.
But the experience is not the same for every role.

DPS players are still the ones with most damage output, they are stills the assassins, still the ones who hunt people down… they still have the exact same job, except that their job is now even easier because there is 1 less tank that used to counter their damage and threaten their lives!

Tanks are now mega buffed and super survivable so that they usually don’t feel helpless.

Supports, who are biggest losers by default, didn’t get the necessary changes to be able survive in this new harsher environment.
They are easier to focus down but they have no upgraded tools to avoid danger.

TLDR: 2 roles (dps and tank) can do their respective jobs in a more easy and impactful and fun way, while another role (support) is supposed to have a worst experience than in OW1. I hope you understand this nuance.

9 Likes

But many supports relied alot more on shields than dps, so they used alot less skills like game awareness, positioning and maps/cover learning, specially in lower ranks.

No with one less tank there is more pressure on dps, now there is one less teammates to distract enemies from them and more incoming damage.

Without talking now enemies are more spreaded and more prone to flanking.

Tanks now receving more damage, no more off tank to help for their lacking in attack or defence, so is more pressure too and more skills needed.

So no other classes don’t need less skills Overwatch 2 raised the skills needed for everyone.

Supports are the more impacted because many make too much reliance on shield.

But yes some supports need some changes obviously, but this is the first beta, is only the start.

Where do you get this “reliance on shield” thing. I feel like you’re talking from a bronze player perspective.
There is no shields most of the time in OW1. I get much, much more Hog/Ball and Winston/Dva comps than let’s say Orisa/Sigma.
You really need to get pass this myth that you believe in.
OW1 is as dynamic and diverse as you could imagine.
I dare say that Orisa and Sigma are probably the least played tanks, at least in metal ranks.
Come on, you need a better argument.

7 Likes

I’m talking of majority of players complaining.

You really think an high rank players don’t already know he need to learn the maps and covers?

Majority of people complaining the lack of second tank/shield are surely low ranked players or simple players get carryed.

And they now in Overwatch 2 must learn to use the maps and covers instead relaying on shield.

They are forced to learn, when instead in ow1 they can relay on shields.

Overwatch 2 need to create a new casual playerbase, if someone of old players want to continue to play must learn new skills.

I’ve read most of the complaints on the forums, and 90% of them don’t mention “shields” at all.
I still don’t know where do you get your info from.
Especially in this thread, no one talked about shields. So bringing back the “shield” argument is questionable.

5 Likes

They mention too much pressure, too much quick pacing, lost of the synergy and so on.

All things was mitigated or enabled by shields.

Very few say it directly, but simple is the shield or lack of it in this case to cause the complaining.

After all one of the reason of this change is the shield/main tank too much power over offtank problem Blizzard wanted to solve.

Shields will do nothing against an organized Dive comp for example. They simply get passed it.
OW1 contained every type of tank duos.
Ana players play far away from “the shields”, away from collateral damage. Same for Zens.
Mercy players play around cover and stick to dps to pocket them.
Moira and Lucio don’t need shields because they are mobile and survivable.
Brig has her own shield and she simply gets value by existing.
Bap can also do his own thing from far away.

I really don’t see your “shield” argument, and again if your background is the experience in <1000 SR bronze, then yeah i can here that.
Everything starting from 2000 SR has nothing to do with shields anymore.
Again, the tank picks are as diverse as you’d imagine, with heroes like Sigma and Orisa being one of the least popular.

It’s not about “oh there are less shields”, it’s about dps having less obstacles (1 less tank, regardless if he has a shield or not) to do their intended job , which is killing things, and supports being the first target and the easiest to hunt down because they literally got no new tools to survive.

5 Likes

Seems you not understand i’m not talking of me.

But how ow1 worked for majority of players and which problems Blizzard confirmed.

It’s all about shield/main tank and reduce the amount/importance of shields/main tank.

You can try to devert the attention from the reality and try to start talking of me but this not change how players see the game and how Blizzard see the situation.

Support Queue time is very short in the Beta, regardless the player’s mmr. That’s the reality.
Shields were much less relevant in OW1 than you pretend and had nothing to do with support players. Shields were the tools for tanks to survive. That’s the reality.
I’m a long time player and i know what i’m saying, and most complaints don’t even mention the word “shield”.
You insist on giving shields more importance than they actually have, so keep on going.

3 Likes

Again you tried to devert attention from reality to me mixing in them some of your “opinions”.

All this aren’t my opinions.

Blizzard confirmed main/shield tank was a problem.

You can accept it or not , but this will not change their plans.

Blizzard reduce importance of shield tanks and people started complaining, this is the reality.

simple counterexample to your flawed claims:
explain to me how I can possibly “play more active” and “fend for myself” more as mercy when inherently her kit and gameplay design inherently encourages you to beam as much as possible instead of shooting?

not to mention also encourages you as much as possible to escape via ga, thus offloading the threat onto someone else to deal with leading to objectively less individual impact compared to someone that can actually fend for themselves to duel/kill the flanker?

i.e. the problem is, that the change in direction/expectations of heroes for OW2 conflicts with the expectations in the current OW1 supports’ designs.
And obviously if we don’t actually change the OW1 support designs moving into OW2 to accommodate new OW2 expectations, the OW2 expectations simply aren’t going to be met viably no matter how much players try to brute force it.

5 Likes

This is only the first beta, Blizzard on the same launch of this beta announced there will be more.

You must even think the idea of brawler tanks was an experiment at the end of july 2020.

They announced overwatch 2 too soon or they changed gameplay direction around the half of 2020 or even after.

I think we are playing a true beta, not a some sort of demo of a soon released game.

Blizzard have all the time to adjust the supports balance to be more adapt to 5vs5.

It’s also not fun when nothing dies, which is what will happen if Blizzard would make supports immortal and able to 1v1 DPS like these forums want so much.

1 Like

You’re far likelier to start the fight at full health in the first place. Some healers can even get some use out of it mid-combat: Fade into cover/high ground as Moira, regen. Speed away as Lucio, regen. Hold up your shield as brig, regen. Exo boots to high ground vs Tracer, regen.

By immortal you mean dying in 4 seconds instead of 3?

So you mean supports need to accept their fate and enjoy being slaughtered?

5 Likes

I’ve yet to see anything announced for them outside of a moira rework which is funny because apparently 1 of the better supports in beta rn is moira simply because she has survivability, and yet they’re going to rework her which for all we know is probs gonna end up as a net nerf from her current status :rofl: :upside_down_face:

like if there was any actual indication that they have a plan and more of an idea of what their direction was for supports then sure one can be reasonably hopeful. but seeing as we don’t, praying for it to be fixed in another round of beta is simply blind optimism at this point in time.

not to mention the criticisms in my initial reply are valid regardless of such optimism. it is fact that there is a direct conflict between keeping current OW1 designs vs the expectations on players with OW2 direction.

will they fix it? who knows because again, there’s no sign as to where they’re planning to go or what they’re planning to do with them. and to fix it will mean redesigning like half the supports or so.

no I didn’t.
they outright said they were making tanks more yolo aggro before that iirc esp with their showcase example of what they initially revealed for rein with the 2 firestrikes + charge cancel. so idk what you’re on with your inaccurate extrapolation.

3 Likes

If supports can 1v1 DPS then what is the point of DPS heroes?

1 Like

I honestly don’t get where this myth comes from that all supports hunker behind shields only using their healing. I’m mid Diamond and if there’s anything I learned it’s that shields are fickle given the amount of burst damage, and to never rely on them. I remember going for an important risky rez once where Orisa put down her shield before me, and guess what? Shield was blown up in less than a second along with me the very next. For this reason I prefer hard cover (walls are Mercy’s best friend btw), but sometimes when there’s none to be had you do have to try to rely on the shield if you want to be able to do your job (which is not just healing mind you).

I don’t think I’m alone playing like this, so I’m not sure why everyone think this is typical support behavior?

1 Like