Support players, Git Gud!

The "supports need to git gud" argument is starting to age badly.

• I play support in OW1 and i understand very well the importance of positioning and adapting my pick to my comp and to enemy comp.
  • I play support as intended in OW1 and i don’t feel helpless or not impactful.
  • If i play smartly in OW1, i get the support experience i deserve. The game is fun.

That’s not the case in OW2 anymore!

• The 5v5 concept is not good for supports by design!
  • Other roles got the attention and love they deserve and got buffed either directly or indirectly!
  • Support role, which is the biggest loser BY DEFAULT, got nothing but nerfs!! Is this hard to understand?
  • We, support players, are getting an INFERIOR gaming experience in OW2 Beta in comparison to OW1!

It’s not about

"Here are some tipps on how to survive the struggle of your new life"

It’s about

"We, support players, are not supposed to be the only role that needs to struggle while other roles are having fun"

58 Likes

I assume the lack of updates to supports probably means things will change before launch.

5 Likes

listen part of it is the supports have to learn to play a more active , less for them to hide but they have a point. no with no protection all the automake gun heros can one clip them and the sound effects are horrible. you cant hear a flank

4 Likes

Not too sure about this. I’ve had experiences where I’ve struggled as a tank and the supports didn’t move up with me and get flanked by a far-away Genji.

1 Like

Supports just need to be able to duel DPS and we should be good :+1:

7 Likes

Aren’t you kind of forgetting the Mercy-passive lite that every support got? I can throw bionades at enemies and damage orbs on cooldown now, it’s insane. Fun fact: Fade’s duration is 1 sec, i.e. regen kicks in, all I need to do is get into cover with it. I don’t need to run around like an idiot trying to whipshot someone as Brigitte. I can save Bap’s regen burst for when allies need it too. Zen’s shield regen stacks with it. Lucio can just mash the jump button with speed aura and not get hit , and still have self-heal.

2 Likes

Ana feels better in OW2 having the time to dps with only one tank. You do in fact need to get good.

7 Likes

Yeah healers have to totally fend for themselves now.
4 Tanks are dive and are hard to heal their dives

Rein, Orisa and Sigma are the only ones they can really play behind

Flanking a healer is super easy with the new maps. If they cant 1 v 1 they have to escape and that leaves lucio, moira and mercy as the best options.

3 Likes

I think there still needs to be tweaks but honestly a lot of it IS adapting to the new fundamentals of the game. People were very focused before on their impact being healing, and supports aren’t about healing anymore. You have to be more proactive with your kit. Yous till gotta heal, but that isn’t a main focus anymore. I def think some supports still need a little love and probably general tweaks but supports aren’t bad. You can be much more versatile in your plays from using your utility more aggressively (anti nade instead of healing) and doing more damage. The game is pushing away from having people play healer and now they gotta play support.

Supports also did not get straight nerfs. There was the support passive along with some net buffs (this is more individual hero though, some of the supports did get more just nerfs).

I think overall, there will be changes to the supports but I think they have to do this very carefully because even something that looks minor on paper for a support could make them insane.

1 Like

So can we apply this logic to how easy it is to land AntiHealing from Ana in OW2?

2 Likes

Free anti’s and Rein shatters can’t complain

The way I see it, a wide area debilitating status effect that screws other Tanks and Supports isn’t justified in a game mode with only 1 Tank and a crapton less barriers.

Like could you imagine how frustrating it would be if Sombra had her OW1 EMP on a 15sec cooldown in OW2?

No shot you just compared EMP to anti.

Anti may be strong, but Rez on cooldown, Immortality are far more oppressive longer cooldowns. They’re ultimate impact abilities.

One is a debilitating wide area status effect.

The other is a debilitating wide area status effect.

2 Likes

We just need that one “That’s my purse!” Ability, for every support.

5 Likes

I have yet to feel like OW2 is oppressive to supports. In fact I don’t think it’s necessarily easier or much more valuable to kill a support than a DPS either. In either case you have to isolate and burst them down. Doing so to a support reduces the enemy team’s sustain, but doing so to a DPS reduces their ability to secure kills. I’d be curious to know how much an early pick on a support vs dps changes the likely outcome of a fight.

1 Like

The reason for struggle is forced adaptation. You were chilling in backline for too much. Support is fun, healbot is not fun. Learn 2 play and GiTGuT argument here is real as never before.
What you experience now, is Tank and dps were experiencing for all this time. So there is no reason to complain being equal in effort/reward ratios. It is nobody’s fault that you have picked the easiest playstyle for such role, hence your struggle hits you now of that.

Yes. Less barries - less protection, yet players still having bad positioning, asking for heals, not pealing for their support, that doesn´t have tanks to hide behind anymore. More flankers, more headshots, more grenades, more everything…
Yet the same old support heroes - just nerfed. Nothing new, nothing to motivate us for “getting gud”.

8 Likes

Here you go, i corrected it for you, Mister “i will tell you what’s fun and what’s not”.

Egotism for the win!

4 Likes

I’m sure DPS being the largest role will get good and fill out the support role lack of support players.

3 Likes