Support players, Git Gud!

They mention too much pressure, too much quick pacing, lost of the synergy and so on.

All things was mitigated or enabled by shields.

Very few say it directly, but simple is the shield or lack of it in this case to cause the complaining.

After all one of the reason of this change is the shield/main tank too much power over offtank problem Blizzard wanted to solve.

Shields will do nothing against an organized Dive comp for example. They simply get passed it.
OW1 contained every type of tank duos.
Ana players play far away from “the shields”, away from collateral damage. Same for Zens.
Mercy players play around cover and stick to dps to pocket them.
Moira and Lucio don’t need shields because they are mobile and survivable.
Brig has her own shield and she simply gets value by existing.
Bap can also do his own thing from far away.

I really don’t see your “shield” argument, and again if your background is the experience in <1000 SR bronze, then yeah i can here that.
Everything starting from 2000 SR has nothing to do with shields anymore.
Again, the tank picks are as diverse as you’d imagine, with heroes like Sigma and Orisa being one of the least popular.

It’s not about “oh there are less shields”, it’s about dps having less obstacles (1 less tank, regardless if he has a shield or not) to do their intended job , which is killing things, and supports being the first target and the easiest to hunt down because they literally got no new tools to survive.

5 Likes

Seems you not understand i’m not talking of me.

But how ow1 worked for majority of players and which problems Blizzard confirmed.

It’s all about shield/main tank and reduce the amount/importance of shields/main tank.

You can try to devert the attention from the reality and try to start talking of me but this not change how players see the game and how Blizzard see the situation.

Support Queue time is very short in the Beta, regardless the player’s mmr. That’s the reality.
Shields were much less relevant in OW1 than you pretend and had nothing to do with support players. Shields were the tools for tanks to survive. That’s the reality.
I’m a long time player and i know what i’m saying, and most complaints don’t even mention the word “shield”.
You insist on giving shields more importance than they actually have, so keep on going.

3 Likes

Again you tried to devert attention from reality to me mixing in them some of your “opinions”.

All this aren’t my opinions.

Blizzard confirmed main/shield tank was a problem.

You can accept it or not , but this will not change their plans.

Blizzard reduce importance of shield tanks and people started complaining, this is the reality.

simple counterexample to your flawed claims:
explain to me how I can possibly “play more active” and “fend for myself” more as mercy when inherently her kit and gameplay design inherently encourages you to beam as much as possible instead of shooting?

not to mention also encourages you as much as possible to escape via ga, thus offloading the threat onto someone else to deal with leading to objectively less individual impact compared to someone that can actually fend for themselves to duel/kill the flanker?

i.e. the problem is, that the change in direction/expectations of heroes for OW2 conflicts with the expectations in the current OW1 supports’ designs.
And obviously if we don’t actually change the OW1 support designs moving into OW2 to accommodate new OW2 expectations, the OW2 expectations simply aren’t going to be met viably no matter how much players try to brute force it.

5 Likes

This is only the first beta, Blizzard on the same launch of this beta announced there will be more.

You must even think the idea of brawler tanks was an experiment at the end of july 2020.

They announced overwatch 2 too soon or they changed gameplay direction around the half of 2020 or even after.

I think we are playing a true beta, not a some sort of demo of a soon released game.

Blizzard have all the time to adjust the supports balance to be more adapt to 5vs5.

It’s also not fun when nothing dies, which is what will happen if Blizzard would make supports immortal and able to 1v1 DPS like these forums want so much.

1 Like

You’re far likelier to start the fight at full health in the first place. Some healers can even get some use out of it mid-combat: Fade into cover/high ground as Moira, regen. Speed away as Lucio, regen. Hold up your shield as brig, regen. Exo boots to high ground vs Tracer, regen.

By immortal you mean dying in 4 seconds instead of 3?

So you mean supports need to accept their fate and enjoy being slaughtered?

5 Likes

I’ve yet to see anything announced for them outside of a moira rework which is funny because apparently 1 of the better supports in beta rn is moira simply because she has survivability, and yet they’re going to rework her which for all we know is probs gonna end up as a net nerf from her current status :rofl: :upside_down_face:

like if there was any actual indication that they have a plan and more of an idea of what their direction was for supports then sure one can be reasonably hopeful. but seeing as we don’t, praying for it to be fixed in another round of beta is simply blind optimism at this point in time.

not to mention the criticisms in my initial reply are valid regardless of such optimism. it is fact that there is a direct conflict between keeping current OW1 designs vs the expectations on players with OW2 direction.

will they fix it? who knows because again, there’s no sign as to where they’re planning to go or what they’re planning to do with them. and to fix it will mean redesigning like half the supports or so.

no I didn’t.
they outright said they were making tanks more yolo aggro before that iirc esp with their showcase example of what they initially revealed for rein with the 2 firestrikes + charge cancel. so idk what you’re on with your inaccurate extrapolation.

3 Likes

If supports can 1v1 DPS then what is the point of DPS heroes?

1 Like

I honestly don’t get where this myth comes from that all supports hunker behind shields only using their healing. I’m mid Diamond and if there’s anything I learned it’s that shields are fickle given the amount of burst damage, and to never rely on them. I remember going for an important risky rez once where Orisa put down her shield before me, and guess what? Shield was blown up in less than a second along with me the very next. For this reason I prefer hard cover (walls are Mercy’s best friend btw), but sometimes when there’s none to be had you do have to try to rely on the shield if you want to be able to do your job (which is not just healing mind you).

I don’t think I’m alone playing like this, so I’m not sure why everyone think this is typical support behavior?

1 Like

There will be multiple betas, so they have all the occasion and the reasons to fix it.

This is their last chance for Overwatch series.

This is the comment of the Lead Hero designer in 31 july 2020 in the reddit ama.

"Actually we’ve been talking about Tanks, as role, a lot recently. In the past we’ve had trouble trying to figure out how to make tank heroes like Roadhog compete with big protective tanks like Reinhardt. Lately we’ve been thinking, what if we just go the other direction? What if Reinhardt was more like Roadhog? What would that feel like for the entire game? Basically, what if all ‘main tanks’ became ‘off tanks’?

This would mean Tanks would be less about pure protection, and more about brawly offense. Barriers would be less prevalent, damage overall would be higher (tanks doing more dmg, and reducing less dmg), which is kind of scary potentially. We’ve already been experimenting on this front and so far its been pretty fun, though the game does feel significantly different. Players have to play the map angles a lot more aggressively as you can’t just rely oin your Tank/barrier for cover.

I’m not sure where these experiments will go but they’re pretty interesting so far."

Basically in the half of 2020 brawler tanks was still an experiment.

We haved covid until some months ago and theory they even developed a pve part.

I’m not really surprised to see supports in this state.

For real i’m more surprised they have done a rework for dps too.

Very true, but you said support must neither be able to survive nor be able to dps, which means they must accept being slaughtered and respawn frequently, right?

5 Likes

I do agree dps should have a very decided advantage with regards to damage, the issue is supports as compensation should either have escape tools or increased self sustain to even out the fight. I think the primary issue now is that quite a few don’t have enough compared to the raw dps power, especially since hitscan in particular are strong and even if they don’t kill you they can zone you away from the fight and effectively remove you from contributing.

to be able to deal high damage and kill. supports being capable of 1v1’ing a dps (i.e. a fair 50-50 fighting chance) doesn’t mean they’re not capable of dealing high damage or get kills.

also, do you not see the hypocrisy in supporting the “supports should just git gud” argument AND wanting duels with supports to be inherently in favor of yourself who’s on dps i.e. on a the easy side of the interaction?

a better question would be:
given how OW2 is supposed to be about EVERYONE having more individual impact and more individual playmaking, how do you want supports to have more individual impact and more individual playmaking if

1. they can’t 1v1 dps; nor
  2. keep someone alive well (considering you don’t want supports to make “nothing die”)?
7 Likes

It’s the same old balance issues from Ow 1 from the same dev team that’s inconsistent at balancing.

They want to make a competitive E-sport then the game has to push far more drastic strategic as well as fun changes.

It’s a step in the right direction to give player more dueling power instead of team reliance.

But they are making the same mistake in their design direction by punishing a role/class in the game.

The Support problem is the exact same parallel problem of Ow 1 tanks.

Tanking in that game is an over stressful job that puts you at the mercy of the enemy because your tools are weaker and dependent on players.

Ow 2 currently the Supports don’t have enough compared to the other roles.

The hopium is that the devs don’t take months to years to address this issue as has been their M.O. on OW 1.

3 Likes

Well, survivability depends on the hero… Some are designed to be more independent than others.

But if, let’s say a flanker comes near to you and you are completely alone, then it should be pretty difficult to survive (again depends on the hero). But if you are getting peeled by the other support, then it should be much easier to survive.

having the opportunity to do something != they will do that thing
we can see it with all the bias balancing they’ve done leading to certain heroes being typically left behind.

idk what your point here is. I told you no, I didn’t think the idea of brawler tanks was just an experiment just then…