(Sty) NEW Heroes LOCKED Behind Battle Pass

“Blizzard have leaked the name of the new Overwatch 2 support hero, Kiriko. Blizzard have also leaked Overwatch 2 monetization - heroes will be LOCKED behind the battle pass. It would seem buying the PREMIUM battle pass gives immediate access to new heroes, but the free battle pass requires grinding to unlock the hero. This means… the game effectively becomes pay to win as new heroes are typically OP, which forces players to buy the battle pass on launch to get access, as grinding would take too much time… this is not a very good sign for the future of the game.”

2nd link was removed by Overwatch reddit mods (“The Overwatch community after the Blizzard announced heroes will be locked behind battle passes in OW2”)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/x8li69/i_think_they_accidentally_leaked_the_fox_hero_name/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/x8ptb9/i_guess_this_essentially_confirms_everyones/

“You all have phones right?”

13 Likes

Yum. Finally some good sources.

1 Like

Welp 3 out of four.

California is going to have quite the morning.

:+1: Great summary.

2 Likes

hes not wrong…

1 Like

Really just bouncing off others sarcasm.

About to be 8 am in California - General Discussion - Overwatch Forums (blizzard.com)

I mean, it is impressive - General Discussion - Overwatch Forums (blizzard.com)

Work nights, went to sleep on this… wasn’t great…

Oh you forgot this one.

This is the news on THEIR own site.

Overwatch 2 will have seasonal updates on a regular cadence and a Battle Pass that will feature new content including new heroes, game modes, maps, cosmetics, and more!

Yeah, maps… in the BP.

How is that meant to work?

10 Likes

Jeez. If they do that— I mean the game is already pretty dead-- but this? Oh man. They must’ve mistyped.

4 Likes

I would normally I would say, sure, of course, Blizzard isn’t that crazy.

But who the hell knows now?

2 Likes

People will likely meme the hell of out of this too.

Now to get coffee.

Yeah I was wondering that…cause wouldn’t that be splitting the playerbase into who has what maps unlocked?

Anyway, what the hell are they thinking?! :rofl: :rofl: I don’t know how much I care about Overwatch anymore tbh but this is actually hilariously bad :rofl:

3 Likes

Thats so stupid anyway. Since you can’t even pick the maps you want to play in with game modes like quickplay…
Now you might accidentaly unlock a map you don’t like and have to play? Or almost never see that map played since most people don’t have it unlocked?

1 Like

At first I thought it was just the support hero…

Which struggling supports have it hard as it is.

But it might be all three…

So, seeing the refund claims already.

(On top of more reasons Sponsors are never coming back.)

1 Like

pulls up chair
reclines
takes sip of beverage

Oh boy, who could have ever predicted this when they announced the game was going Free 2 Play. Good thing all those people said something like this wouldn’t happen.

I require a refill on my popcorn.

2 Likes

Opens fridge,
*Grabs cartons of Iced Coffee and some frozen sausage biscuits. *
Grabs a glass mug,
Mixing some Iced Coffee and put the biscuits into the microwave for a minute.
Return and sit back down to see if you responded.

edit: sips… guess people still not up yet

1 Like

I think this is an excellent reflection from Sty: what sense would the passive of the dps have in this case? I personally add that the hero ban has fully confirmed to us that the scarce variety of heroes in a category (especially support, for OW2) makes the limitations of use extremely harmful to the survival of a game that is mainly based on countering by choosing the right hero, and not the right weapon or builds.

OW2 will be in dire need of new support heroes, and this (presumably initial) limitation of the new heroes has the only advantage of not clogging the queues for those who are too curious to use the new heroes instead of waiting to unlock them. but it is a transitory phenomenon and the paywall for early use compared to other players proves to be a real pay2win in the early stages of gameplay. especially if we consider some new heroes already OP since their dayone in competitive.

I believe that what is damaging to the entire community is the poor current communication to these leaked details, which require very delicate and contextualized communication. they are probably starting a SLOW weekly advertising campaign as happened for the first beta of Ow2 (I mean, paradoxically we already had all the info on OwL 2022 and no info of the beta about a month after its debut🤦‍♂️). they should at least change priorities on how to explain this now leaked information, if they don’t want OW2 to be harmed by “I thought it wasn’t P2W … but I was wrong”. is representing the worst piece of all as well as being the least specified if not by a withdrawn communication and a little explanatory tweet.

1 Like

Yeah…

Pretty much every content creator and OWL Pro who heard this at 11pm.

Devs need to go back on this, or they can just forget OW2 PvE.

i hope content creators won’t bend the knee in fear of losing privileged access to blizzard news

1 Like

then, even assuming that the community is wrong by misunderstanding the few official things, there is a serious enough aspect: there are no denials or corrections from the “blue” on the term paytowin that is clogging up the forum and social networks. it seems like one of the usual tacit confirmations that blizzard occasionally makes in the face of personal monetary gain.

I mean, look how quick they were immediately to give all the details around the paid indignation about Brigitte medic to the content creators of twitch. or the lack of patches after the annuversary remix 3. currently … they are not talking or saying “be patient”, which can mean two things:

• or is it the lapidary confirmation that it is a paytowin but they prefer to postpone the precise details to later to plan a situation in which they will feel the right to define themselves as the paladins who “listened to the community”;
  • or, as usual, they prefer to keep strong the point of releasing information following the schedule of when they were scheduled. which is stupid, but it is part of their poor communication skills in recent years;
1 Like

Welp in other gaming news,

just popped in and watched the Fallout 76 update.

And man; only 3,000 watched it so far and the Devs speaking sound so soulless.

I hope this isn’t OW2 future.