Stop with limited skins

Right off the bat I know a lot of people will disagree with me. But I think most people can acknowledge that almost every skin in this game that’s limited doesn’t have any purpose being that way.

Personally I believe Noire and to a lesser extent pink are the only 2 limited skins that should actually be limited. The mini event skins, OW League themed skins and Kerrigan should not be limited items and frankly and unsurprisingly the only reason they are is money.

However, it’s very short sighted of blizzard to make them limited. I own every limited skins besides noire on xbox. One of the biggest reasons I don’t wanna move to pc is because I’ll lose all of them without the ability to repurchase them. But I think we can mostly agree here that blizzard would make a lot more cash of they were to just sell them for everyone.

Limited skins are unfair, overpriced and most primarily, annoying. To players who like item collecting, there’s just items that are simply missing from their collection because they’re limited for no reason at all.

Now what is the main argument for limited skins staying limited? It makes them “special”. Skins should be special because of what they mean to you, not because you decided to spend 15 dollars at a time others couldn’t. How “special”. Once again, the only limited skins I truly agree with are Noire widow because being a pre-orderer should get you something special, not spending 15 dollars at the right time.

Personally I just hate limited skins. I find it extremely annoying how the only non event skins blizzard makes anymore are 10-15 dollars and limited, and the whole concept of them is, frankly just cheap in my opinion. At least bring them back for sale during anniversary or something.

How do you guys feel about limited skins? I’m interested to hear what you guys think.

22 Likes

Woudnt it be better to just make skins moveble form console to PC?

12 Likes

That would also be nice.

2 Likes

How are Kerrigan and the mini event skins for money?

5 Likes

Those ones aren’t, but those weren’t the main focus.

2 Likes

I mean those skins are limited for a reason and they should be that way.
It’s not gonna change to other way just cause some people might not like it.

People also got enough time to buy/play their way out to get them them too. If people missed it it’s their own fault.

2 Likes

Well…Why shouldn’t a for-profit company care about money? Timed skins have a greater appeal to “Oh sh–. I need this before it goes away, take my money!” sensibilities than a skin that’s around forever and you can get without worry.

Not if they didn’t have the game or, more specifically console players who can’t even transfer their items to pc. Pc is the definitive platform for overwatch, and the fact that people can spend 60+ dollars on items just to not be able to port or repurchase them Is very annoying.

2 Likes

Disagree, legacy skins like Noire Widowmaker, All Stars skins, and Blizzcon skins should remain locked for the players who purchased them.

6 Likes

I own almost every skin in the game besides a few limited ones and the OWL skins that arnt Gladiators (I have a weakness for purple).

I love and cherish my Limited Skins while I pretty much see every other skin as mud because everyone and his brother has them and I dont feel like they are “mine”

Limited is greater then repeatable event skins. Almost every good game worth it’s salt has them and can be a strong way to show/flaunt your dominance in-game without needing to say a single word. SMITE is my best example of this. People who have limited skins from many seasons ago really scare the living piss out of me. There are good looking always available skins but when you see someone rocking a skin from 4 years ago that you cant get it really sets a tone for the kind of match your gonna have. They seen and been through alot of the game changes and your probably in for a tough fight or at least an exciting one.

3 Likes

But is it honestly fair to people who purchased console versions to be promised a fair treatment, be neglected and then be denied the ability to even transfer their limited stuff?

4 Likes

Yes, it is.
They’ll remain limited either people like it or not.

Even it is ‘‘annoying’’.

And I can say from my own experience, even I cant have some of the allstar 2018 skins or blizzcon skins for bastion/monkey, im not gonna friiking complain about it, cause I know that those were limited & people had time to buy those. Regardless if you were pc/console or not, etc.

2 Likes

I too think artificially limiting their sales on a time basis allows Blizzard the excuse to price these skins so absurdly high (in comparison to, say, game expansion prices for other AAA titles). It gets people to open their wallets and splurge. Otherwise, if they were always available, or made available on a periodic basis, more players would hold back and “think about it” and save their money for something else. It’s consumer programming. It is a clear cut difference in thinking, “maybe next time around I will buy it when i get some money” vs “Buy now- or it’s gone forever!” mentality at work.

3 Likes

Okay so people who have them on lesser versions of the game should be denied the ability to take them to better platforms?

1 Like

You dont seem to understand what im trying to say here do you?

It works. I’ll freely admit it’s why I’ve bought some cosmetics (not in this game).

They’re a company and they want money, they don’t care about if it’s “fair”. If they feel this is the best way for them to get it, more power to them. If people showed they were more willing to spend under different circumstances and that “timed sales” weren’t effective, they wouldn’t do it.

Jeff has actually touched on this subject before:

2 Likes

If they didn’t say that, current spending players would go “Oh…I guess when they say timed, buy now or it’s gone forever, it actually isn’t…So I don’t have to rush and spend my money right now, I can always wait until it rolls back around next time”

They want the money that’s in front of them…Not some “maybe X number of players will buy the game some time in the future”

This is player responsibility. You had the choice to buy the game/skins on whatever system you chose. Nobody but you and your living situation decided what hardware you played the game on.

While it would be nice if they had the ability to transfer your items this i can agree on. But it is in no way “unfair” you played the game on whatever you did at the time.

Thats like being upset someone got a pre-order bonus and you got the game 3 years later. Those skins and special extras in any game not just overwatch, are meant for special appeal at the time of their release. It is 100% up to the developers to decide to make them available or not later. In fact in most cases making items that were limited before repeat or become all access hurts the company more, because while it makes people who didnt have them before happy it makes it clear the company will not stick to their words and promises and they lose all faith and face value with new releases.

The only limited skin that needs to be available again is the Sombra Demonhunter. This is because the devs made a promise it would be available without a Blizzcon ticket purchase in 2019. After they make it available once more it should be vaulted again forever, but this is only because alot of people (like myself) were willing to pay $50 just for that skin, but they made it clear we didnt need to pay $50 for that skin cause they were gonna make it available in the coming year. Though they never said when, how long, or how to abtain it.

Basically just like reverting a limited to all access, promising a limited skin and not providing hurts their credibility.

1 Like

You do realize that games like this gets new players all the time. Right?

Im not feeling too bad for someone/myself for missing limited skins.
Where people had enough time to get them if they wanted to.