Sombra's ability Nerfs are blatantly unjust (200+ likes!?!)

The 2 second cooldown is completely ridiculous. She’s the ONLY hero who gets penalized for taking “1 point of damage” for using her abilities in a shooting game. The worst part is they implemented this as a “hot-fix” without any testing cause a few “pro” tracer mains started crying directly to blizzard. It wasnt even reaction time that was causing problems it was the Line of Sight they didnt properly test after they buffed the activation time before they put her live and people WERE getting hacked when they SHOULDNT such as when they got behind a wall or behind sombra. They later fixed the wonky line of sight but then they caused a whole new bug where small objects canceled the hack but they still kept the 2 second penalty ONLY SHE HAS after the original problem was fixed.

Imagine if zenyatta’s discord orb broke off a target because he took “1 point of damage” and he couldnt throw a new one for two seconds. What about soldier what if he was trying to sprint and got shot by 1 point of damage and he couldnt sprint for 2 second afterwards. What about bastion if he got shot by 1 point of damage and couldnt use his repair for 2 seconds. It’s a game breaking nerf for any character and sombra is no different since she relies on that to make it a “primary weapon fight” with her target. She has no damaging abilities at all, just a weak smg that takes a full clip to kill one target if the RNG doesnt make you miss your shots from more then point blank range. It needs to be removed now that the LoS has been changed to how it was originally supposed to act. It’s still bugged at the moment but it’s being fixed in PTR (hopefully)

More importantly if it is here to stay it needs a damage threshold higher then “1 point of damage” you should have to make a conscious effort to stop a hack. Not close your eyes and spin in a circle. personally i want 50hp but that will never happen, i’d settle for 25hp, ANY hero can deal 25 damage with a melee attack which does 30 damage, and most people can do over that in one or two shots from their main weapon. Which is why i say 50hp to make it a “conscious effort” but “no way thats OP” is the predicted response to this and my own response is “NO CHARACTER SHOULD HAVE A PENALTY FOR USING AN ACTIVATED ABILITY”, let alone one that deals no damage and is meant to support her team in fights.

Go ahead crucify me but you know my logic makes sense if you read this from top to bottom. It was a poorly made “hot-fix” with no testing that utterly broke a low damage utility hero. She’s had SO MANY nerfs. The buffs this year were supposed to make her a viable pick and they made her worst then ever before they buffed her. The only good thing we got out of it was lower SMG spread and it still misses horribly while trying to track a target.

EDIT: I’m going to point out everyone calling hack CC is wrong. It’s classified as a Debuff like Zenyatta’s Discord Orb. You can still run, jump and shoot while under a hack. It’s not CC like a Stun/Freeze/Knockup. Your just being limited to using your weapon for a few seconds which is the ONLY thing Sombra has to use for an entire match. If she cant Debuff players to make them easier to fight for herself she cant 1 vs 1 well and if she cant hack during a fight consistently her kit has no value to her team since she has no other abilities to support them just her SMG

289 Likes

the truth has been spoken my brother.
the devs need to admit that they went wrong.
actually Jeff already said that he is not happy with sombra place in the game

58 Likes

They nerfed her so quickly because OWL players were scared of her, they will do this to Symmetra in due time too…

59 Likes

Okay, they should just make the time to hack 4 seconds instead of .1 or w/e it currently is so that she can use it while being shot at.

Oh, you just wanted an absurd buff that would make her the most annoying hero in the game to play against? Yeah, how about no.

11 Likes

it was the OWL players faults >:( i never saw a single post asking for a nerf OR anyone in game complain about it. stupid owls got to ruin everything.

/s

11 Likes

I do not think the issue is with the 2 second cool down on damage. I think the issue is the lack of feedback when your hack is interrupted by damage.

Currently both LoS and Damage hack breaks share the same exact animation. One allows you to try again right away. The other puts it on cool down. So without looking down at your cool down timer there is no way to know if it was a LoS check or Damage that prevented you from hacking your target.

This makes using hack frustrating as you are unable to make decisions as quickly as you should in combat as the game offers not feedback to give you the information you need.

Simply put. We need an animation for hacks being interrupted by damage. This will give sombra players information quickly and allow them to react more quickly.

15 Likes

I hate her current state. She is broken from the core, but that statement is false. When Sombra was buffed for these 2 weeks the outcry on these forums was emence. Almost every 2 threads you had to read how “unfun” it was how to deal with her and something about a “Sombra-Meta”. That beeing said this time it was not the fault of the comunity that she got panic nerfed, blame the OWL players for that.

8 Likes

The old problem was characters like tracer were blinking behind cover but the hack was continuing through the walls. It no longer does that now that they fixed the line of sight problem where it continued on a target out of sight.Before the changes very few people were complaining about hack they were complaining about emp spam which they removed when they made her no longer get ult charge from health packs. It was a hot-fix made to “quickly” deal with the problem they couldnt fix as fast as adding a cooldown.

5 Likes

I think you’re blind hate for Sombra is inhibiting your ability to think clearly, Sombra is the least picked hero in every rank, she’s plagued by bugs, she’s weak, she needs buffs.

31 Likes

I’m aware of this.

I do think the LoS checks are needed. However, the current LoS checks do not work as they should. For one thing if the lower half of an opponent’s body is behind cover (such as hugging the opposite side of a payload or moving toward a ledge you are standing on) it breaks LoS despite Sombra being able to see them just fine.

I also do think the 2 second cooldown is fair as well. It allows sombra to be punished for being caught.

The issue is the lack of feedback when she is caught by damage. She needs a seperate animation for it to create some actual feedback for the player .

1 Like

Id agree with you if she didnt spam a voiceline as loud as ultimate everytime she used invisibility. just imagine that on other characters what if lucio couldnt crossfade if he got shot, what if roadhogs hook stopped if he got shot while mid hook, what if mercy’s rez stopped if she took “1 point of damage,” what if doomfist charge punch stopped cause of damage. No character deserves that kind of nerf on their core ability. It’s doesnt even give her any real advantage it just makes it a fair fight “your gun vs mine” and if she thinks she’s gonna lose she translocates out and the hack wears off.

My point is even though the LoS for her is bugged, let’s take off the the “hot-fix” and see what happens. People can properly use cover and shield to avoid now all it takes is a little awareness too not stand in the open when theres a sombra just like how you avoid chokepoints when junkrat is around or when a widow is in your game. I agree with Line of Sight should play a crucial part in a successful hack but this hot-fix is literally what dropped her straight to the bottom of the barrel since it was poorly thought out and not tested properly.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, because Tracer and Genji SO aren’t rage-inducing to play against or anything. Godforbid someone be capable of completely shutting them down without even needing to fight or anything.

25 Likes

This can only be heard within 15m and only when coming out of it. Which means all you have to do is use invis to flank the enemy and then move within 15 after de-cloaking.

All the abilities you mentioned do not shut down all cooldowns and active passives when they are used. Apples and oranges.

It makes little sense to use a shield comp against a hero that counters barriers. It makes little sense that cover is the only means of countering hack. Hack is way to quick for that to be a feasible counter all the time. Damage needs to be one of the counters or she would be way to powerful.

3 Likes

It’s only one player at a time though in a 6 vs 6 game. Your reaction should be to run to your team for help or fight her head on since more then likely you’ll deal more damage then her.

I was taking the other heroes for example and tying this kind of “penalty” to their “core ability” what good is a hacker who gets less then half her hacks off successfully because they took “one point of damage” thats like buying a cellphone that drops half your calls even with a full signal and saying “its ok ill just call em back later” a cell phone is supposed to make calls, lucio is supposed to play the beat, mercy is supposed to raise the dead (even in lore with reaper) and sombra “the worlds greatest hacker” is supposed to hack.

PS: I’m surprised at least 15 other people agree with me, last time i purposed this same exact idea over a month ago all i got was straight toxicity.

4 Likes

it sounds like every other ability was useless. if lucio’s crossfade was shutdown down for two seconds every time he gets 1 damage he wouldnt be able to heal your a*s. if mercy’s rez was interrupted by 1 damage she would never be able to rez anyone. if rein lost his shield for 2 seconds just because someone damaged him while he was using it it would be most unusable.

lets fix sombra’s bugs then we will see if 2s cooldown is an okay punishment. for now, with lack of reliability of hack it is just too much.

3 Likes

I’m not a big fan of OWL but it seems kinda bizarre to randomly blame OWL players for the changes. Blizzard devs are the only reason things get changed.

2 Likes

ht tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UGHJ7z0FM8

This is one of the videos that started the bandwagon. basically all the pros were saying they dont want sombra in their game. then she went live and the hacking through walls got exploited and then the 2 second hot’fix came into play. All the players who didnt like to be hacked used these “pro player” arguments to make claims like they are now with widowmaker, but more people like playing a sniper then a hacker so sombra got less support then widow is now.

keep in mind this is ptr servers where everyone want to try the ‘new’ stuff not the old for the most part so of course all they saw was sombras in every game the big problems have been fixed the hot-fix hasnt been removed and sombra is still not in owl or even our games. “they didnt want a sombra meta” not balances “meta”

5 Likes

I’m just gonna leave this here

8 Likes

Reaper’s exclusive ability “2 second self-stun while being teleported” is blatantly unjust

2 Likes

If you’re gonna whine, at least do it proberly. They added the 2 second cd because a lot of Sombras were simply walking up to people and holding hack until the enemy missed. The 2 second cd is unnecessary, but it doesn’t really do anything if you’re playing correctly. The randomness is a bit annoying and perhaps 1 sec cd with a 30 damage minimum (the same as Symmetra’s sentries new hp) would be more suitable, but this isn’t really an issue honestly. I know no other hero has this sort of limitation when played incorrectly, but this isn’t worth whining about

If I could change anything about her I would not change this. Assuming all her bugs got fixed, I’d

• Make her stealth feel more responsive
  • Grant her hack an indicator for her team
    Edit: I obviously know she already has one, I’m refering to a useful one instead of some random purple flicker
  • Give her translocator more projectile speed
  • Increase her base movement speed
  • Increase the hack’s tether lock so it doesn’t break so easily
12 Likes