Sombra Hack thru walls

Sometimes I hide behind a wall but the hack doesn’t cancel, can we get a fix?

1 Like

We call this latency, she hacked you way before you hide behind the wall.

2 Likes

that might just be lag on your end

favor the shooter and all that

5 Likes

In my games, my ms is always 30-40. I hate when this happens.

Latency issues. Not much can fix that

Well Sombra can have 200+ms remember It’s favor the shooter mechanic.

Hack’s break doesn’t seem to be a LoS check its a different kind of system but its way to confusing to understand.

Generally you can think of it as a hitbox based system so if she can shoot you she can hack you.

I made this post before I knew of the exaption but it still works as a general rule of thumb.

this rule is only false if Sombra herself is really close to the wall that hack seems to go through.

Here are some clips:

I do have high ping in the first one but I slowmo the time ingame so it has more then enough time to send and receive stuff and it also works on a lower ping just the same.

Imo this close to a wall thing should be fixed while hack should hack you aslong you can be shot.

6 Likes

In addition to latency, nowadays you have to pass fully behind the wall to interrupt it. That makes it quite possible to be in a position where you can’t see her, but she can see some part of your body and still finish.

I have 25ms pings and it happens to me sometimes. If 25ms pings are fast enough then it’s a server problem.

Blizzard could solve this by increasing their tick rates to ~128 but they won’t. In fact this would solve a LOT of problems. Remember Symm 1.0 and her main weapon remaining attached when a Genji dashed away? High tick rating would have solved that too.

That was the way the weapon was intended to work

1 Like

No, it had a max range and would break at that range but would extend beyond that if it was on someone that could very quickly move beyond that range. Because the character location update between client and server are slower than a Genji dash the distance wouldn’t register and the beam remained attached longer.

1 Like

Yeah. The weapon disconnected after .5 of being out of range. Go look at the original symmetra 2.0 patch notes

It follows the same rules that a McCree that’s able to shoot you even though you were behind a wall - it’s favor the shooter.

If they have latency, it’ll favor them.

1 Like

The attacker’s perspective is the one that matters, not your own. If you have a 30ms round-trip time with the server, and the shooter has 120ms, they interact with where you where you were 0.15 seconds ago (but actually up to ~0.22 because of server tick rate).

And Symmetra’s old beam, like Mercy’s beam and formerly Sombra’s Hack, intentionally stayed connected for a short time after its break conditions were met.

Well 128 tickrate servers need double the power and increase the cost it just isn’t profitable for this small (in comparison with effort) improvement unless you would pay additional for 128 tick servers.

So what you’re sayin is, I should install software that I can use to increase my lag which will give an advantage over those with lower lag?

… Not really. With latency on either side, you have an advantage when chasing someone around a corner. They get the same advantage over you when it’s the other way around.

Also that software would obviously be grounds for a ban if caught.

99% of the time you think she hacks you through a wall she actually doesnt. She still has LoS to you most of the time. The only time this does not apply is when the Sombra herself is hugging a wall.
SchWiniX tests give better insight to this.

2 Likes

Think of hack like a beam, specifically Mercy’s beam, you got about half a second before LoS cuts you and I think it’s intentional.

This is actually because of a mechanic in her kit, not just latency. As seen in a demonstration video, Sombra can hack from behind walls a split second after contact is lost even on Sombra’s side. Also, starting the hack then looking up into the air you still have an extremely generous delay in which hack will still be able to keep LOS despite not even looking at them anymore. All it is is how she’s designed, it could definitely use some tweaking though given there are other lock-on abilities like Moira’s biotic grasp that stops locking on the moment the person is behind cover.