So is the "Mercy is useless" argument over?

Let me be clear. I’m talking about the argument that people say that Mercy is useless. Not the argument about her being fun or boring.

The Overwatch League is using Mercy quite a bit. Can we out the argument that she is useless to bed now?

Moderator Note: Please direct all Mercy feedback to this thread

50 Likes

We’re not the OWL, so I don’t see how they’re relevant to the general player base.

52 Likes

Ana was played in OWL, doesn’t mean she’s not in a bad spot.

38 Likes

They are absolutely relevant. If Pros can get value out of Mercy then everyone can. It only gets easier the farther down the ranks you go

28 Likes

Give it a couple of weeks and people will start to realize Mercy is still top tier.

25 Likes

We’re not the pros though.

17 Likes

She is pretty much being used like Mercy 1.0 was in the pro leagues. Only difference is she now only is there for her damage boost. There are no game swinging moments that come from the Mercy player themselves.

30 Likes

She wasn’t being played because of how powerful Mercy was. I’m not saying Ana doesn’t need help. Just like Mercy, she needs some help. That doesn’t make either of them useless though

Except this is not true. She’s been run without either of those.

13 Likes

She’s not top tier, but she’s decent enough. She’s actually better among lower skilled players.

The only issue is how strong Moria is in competitive (she isn’t that strong in organized team play) which makes her more desirable than Mercy. But Mercy is still definitely viable.

7 Likes

Ana was played a bit in the recent games, she’s still not in a good spot just as Mercy isn’t in a very good spot either. I’m just pointing out that the fact that one out of 5 healers were played at one point isn’t really a definitive proof of anything other than the fact that the meta has changed and the pros are still trying to get a feel for it.

Edit* Bleh, tired and edited for clarity

4 Likes

Just because she’s still in OWL after her much needed nerfs doesn’t mean a thing. She entered (and screwed up) the meta because she was absolutely OP after the rework. Now they’re just using her because she’s still viable and it’s convenient. It doesn’t mean debate about her is going to end.

That doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Doesn’t change the fact that playing her is a nightmare. And so far she really is only played for the damage boost. Really that’s about it. Maybe combo with another hero.

This doesn’t fix the fact that in any other game, one DPS ult wipes Mercy’s off of the map. Long duration doesn’t mean anything in a healing ult when the things you are trying to heal through do much more damage, and don’t last as long.

14 Likes

The pros operate on a completely different level from the casual fans. Just because they find limited value from her does not mean she is in a useful state.

7 Likes

This makes 0 sense. The pros are pros because they are super great at the game, if it takes being super great to get any value out of a hypothetical hero, then 100% some bronze player isn’t going to get value out of it.

Apply this logic to Ana. A pro player can make their shots, use the full potential of their nades, and make clutch sleep darts. A gold Ana main isn’t going to get near as much value out of Ana, making other heroes better. It’s why Ana was played primarily in higher tiers.

9 Likes

It makes plenty sense based on how the Rez mechanic works. The further down the ladder you go… the less it’s punished. Go low enough and you can just Rez in front of the entire team and come out that alive

EDIT: Ana and Mercy aren’t comparable here. Symmetra and Mercy is a closer comparison. Symmetra gets easier and easier the further down you go

5 Likes

The way you stated it clearly implied all heroes, but alright. Either way, she still isn’t fun nor is her ult useful in most cases. If people play her it’s for the rez and boost.

There are still situation when I find myself using Mercy again, her ult is still decent if used correctly and damage boost is still a stromg ability.

It isn’t useless in most cases. It’s still pretty strong.

1 Like