So is the "Mercy is useless" argument over?

Trouble is the Pros only ever used Mercy for Damage Boost since launch. Mercy’s always been overshadowed by the other healers, as Pros can coordinate both around the gimmick-based healers to maximize their healing output and around an enemy Mercy’s Huge Res, to minimize it’s impact. via holding onto at least two ults for another wipe combo.

4 Likes

Meh, I feel like it’ll never be over. Which is expected since everyone rarely agrees on one topic/aspect, there’s always going to be a differing opinion.

Although I think a fair amount of people who claim that she’s useless or that she’s “unrewarding” just don’t know how to play her correctly.
Many people still compare her to the old Mercy, and when they keep doing that, they miss the positives of the Mercy rework.
Calling her ‘unrewarding’ seems like a stretch to me, she’s harder to play (which is good), and a lot of people admit that it takes too much to be able to succeed in rezzing and valk doesn’t do as much.
Hearing those 2 examples, just tell me that if you’re able to pull of something that is ‘difficult’ to do, then it’s rewarding in the end.

So yea, I feel like with her rework I’m doing a lot more things and am more engaging then I ever did with her pre-rework version.
I’ve said it once, I’m gonna say it again:

I feel as though many people are complaining about Mercy because of one or more of these things:

1. They don’t know how to play her current self right, and them not able to operate her correctly makes playing her unfun to them.

2. They’re too focused on comparing her to her past self/focusing too much on her negatives and don’t want to look at the positives of her change, thus can also cause them to not give her a chance and give her more playtime to get used to her new playstyle.

3. They don’t like the fact that Mercy is harder to play, and when I say this. I mean that she now requires you to have better situational/positional awareness, better team coordination, and good timing. I see many people complain about never being able to rez someone, and the reason to that is because they still treat her current rez as an instant one, if they didn’t they wouldn’t be having many to no problems, no?

Her being useless is honestly subjective.
She’s still a very good healer in my eyes, she heals consecutively and outheals most of the other healers, has an ability that allows her to escape quickly unlike some of the other healers, and her rez itself is a strong and game impacting ability, not to mention her ult is a great escape and you can dodge when using it, it has chain heal and etc.

3 Likes

If pros can get value out of widow then everyone can! It only gets easier as you go down the ranks

That’s not how it works.

8 Likes

Mercy isn’t useless, she’s just kinda boring.

8 Likes

We’re talking about Mercy, not Widow. Keep up.

3 Likes

For healing regular non-ultimate/ability damage, sure. But anything else and your teammates are as good as dead.

2 Likes

Terrible comparison. Just like that Ana one. Ana requires good positioning, game sense AND MECHANICAL AIM. Mercy requires good positioning and game sense. That’s why she is really good at the lower levels and becomes worse the higher you go. Good positioning and game sense isn’t punished nowhere near as much at the lower levels. However, your lack of mechanical skill clearly shows at that level.

It’s just like how Symm is strong at lower levels and becomes useless in the Pro scene as of right now

4 Likes

Amen, only a fool would try to make a comparison between a very small percentage of “pros” and the general player base. Conversely only a fool would balance a game meant for the masses around the pros but we’ve seen how that’s gone too…

7 Likes

What kind of positives Mercy got? She is harder to play, but also less powerful. She was good healer before rework, and you don’t need new useless ultimate for it, which got slowed down to make staying at maximum distance only viable strategy.

And yes, single rez is unrewarding. It’s less punishing by going down ladder, but also less powerful(one player doesn’t make as much impact).

Literally only good thing out of all this is new GA jump feature, which is fun.

6 Likes

Didn’t you know? Everyone is training to be in the OWL. EVERYONE. That’s why we have to balance around it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I don’t know why the general playerbase his this mentality of “they’re pro players so there’s no point in at least attempting to mimic their strategies in our pub games so let’s just give up” and then get frustrated later on when they don’t understand why some heroes do and don’t get nerfed.

It’s one thing to say “they have the coordination in running these strats perfectly” but it’s something else to say “their strategies are entirely irrelevant to me.”

2 Likes

Because we are playing regular Overwatch, where support heroes are not protected, and tanks often have their shields ignored by their own team. You don’t expect team coordination of a pro team from group of complete strangers, while balancing game.

5 Likes

HAVe a healer with passive constant healing with mobility and able to defenend self or have healer that is mobile but completely and reliant on teammates.

She is playing to a niche

2 Likes

I literally named them at the end/slightly throughout my post. Some aren’t exactly new positives, but she still has good traits.
Is Mercy being harder to play bad?
I don’t think many people realize that not everything is going to be easy peasy, not everything is going to be handed to you on a silver platter. I’m not sure about you but I love the fact that Mercy is harder to play, as I find things that are too easy to be boring, the now Mercy I find, is in an above decent spot right now in my opinion (just wish she had 2 rezzes like previously) .

I’m curious now, how powerful do you want her to be then?
I’d only say she’s less powerful in ult comparison, since past Mercy can do a mass rez. Despite that, then I think the new Mercy can still do a fair amount of impact. There’s more ways of being able to keep your time alive then relying on rezzing y’know.

I don’t think so, if something is difficult for you to handle/achieve, and you finally do accomplish that task, how do you feel after that? Happy and relieved that you were able to do something that is supposedly hard to accomplish, so I find solo rezzing to be rewarding, as it makes you an easy kill target due to the slowness.

Believe it or not it does, but it also depends on your situation, you shouldn’t just go rezzing someone in the heat of battle thinking they can 1v6 the enemy team or whatever, you have to think about the outcome of your action, if you can depend on this player, or if they can do something with that ult of theirs that’s ready.

Mercy was, yes, a good healer back then (and now). But I found her boring at the time, I felt like I wasn’t contributing to my team besides my rezzing ult (I literally just swooped in, ulted and ran off). The new Mercy I can now engage more with my team and do more then just rez and be done.
You may find the points I’ve said to be accurate but again, saying something that’s fun or useless is subjective, I don’t expect everyone to agree with me nor do I take what I say as fact.

Or Widowmaker players which is what you are trying to come across.

Mercy is still good, people just like to unecessarily freakout when a hero loses their OP status. Just like when Dva was ruined forever and sent back to F tier after losing the 400 armor. Yet her pickrate stayed pretty much steady.

1 Like

OWL was using Mercy because they didn’t get the nerf patch until this recent “Stage 2” having started. Now she’ll likely no longer be used.

5 Likes

hey. good catch man. i did not realize this.

Anyone who honestly thinks Mercy is legitimately useless is just fooling themselves.

They got so used to her being so strong with her Mass Res and her OP form that when her focus is actually on her healing, they just can’t handle it.

4 Likes

Mass Res was never “OP”, the issues with it stemmed from an SR gain exploit. The entire Valk rework was largely unnecessary as now she may be “balanced” from a technical standpoint, but she feels lopsided, unfun, and most of all; boring.

4 Likes