So I guess I'm barred from playing OW 2

That said it’s seeming more and more likely that the phone number in question will need occasional re-verification, so you might end up having to pay an (indirect) subscription fee for OW2 (to keep the number) if that’s the case.

3 Likes

It’s a temporary solution that allows OP to get a little money to deal with this future problem. Talkatone is far from expensive.

It’s either that or don’t play and I’m not a fan of pity parties when a solution is on the table.

That sucks, best of luck

Might be a good time to switch away from pre-paid, more and more stuff is requiring an SMS verification these days, as worryingly big brother as that is.

1 Like

Not to mention that they can cancel you any time they wish being non permanent numbers. If you miss your monthly quota of a text or call you could possibly loose your account and have to go through more hoops now. I would not risk it imho.

I still find it odd that works when it’s a VOIP number?

If OP doesn’t want to use Talkatone then maybe they should read this thread for all of the (currently) known ways to get around the issue:

For now that’s all we know.

3 Likes

This isn’t feasible, I cannot make money right now, and I have $0.

I will not have more money within the next year or two, due to multiple mental health reasons and an inability to work an actual job as of current.

It’s a complicated situation, but the truth is… I already paid $60 for the game originally (if not more because it was a preorder.) and I ended up spending $40 (of money I had to spend at the time due to an event in my life) on the watchpoint pack so I could play the beta, because the game meant that much to me.

And now, none of it matters because unless I pour more money in, I’m just… not allowed to even try.

Including times I spent a bit for skins throughout the last six years, and all that I’ve spent to ensure I would have the game…

I’m looking at a cost of around $140 already in the game.

2 Likes

Ok. In which case I recommend going through the thread I linked and seeing if any fit your situation. Other than that there really isn’t much we can say right now although as time moves on I’m sure more workarounds will be found.

2 Likes

eh who knows. when people throw a fit and DOS a game company, they generally hit the servers hard and to the point where nobody can login or play the game.

Sony’s had this happen to them a few times, Overwatch probably has had a couple of handfuls and many other companies.

1 Like

I’m baffled by the delusion some people are under. “Just swap phone plans” the sheer stupidity in that statement.

4 Likes

Yes, this.

People don’t realize that for some of us, we cannot just magically change things like that in our lives.

My family’s phone plan is handled by people who aren’t me, and I cannot change that.

4 Likes

People are weird like that.

“You have a console/pc so you can afford this”
People think that because they think people who live paycheck to paycheck are never allowed to treat themselves.

Sometimes when you’ re super in debt, you just make a decision to treat yourself and put that xbox on a credit card. Or a neighbor was kind and gifted you one, or an aunt.

Or you used to have money, and have fallen on harder times, especially with inflation.

Just having a gaming console doesnt mean someone can afford to completely swap phone providers.

5 Likes

Do you live with anyone who wouldn’t mind if you use their phone #?

We’re all on a Cricket plan, post-paid too. Expensive.

That means everyone in my household or even connected to the wider plan, is exempt from the SMS protect system.

We’re legit all unable to qualify to play OW 2. Not a single phone number would go through if we tried.

1 Like

That’s pretty odd, I wonder why.

Because if you use a Cricket plan, you don’t get OW 2. Plain and simple.

Right, but why is that? What’s wrong with Cricket? That’s my question

Who knows, but blizzard decides who is and isn’t allowed in game now based on their service provider.

Smurfs won twice. They blade my face in OW 1 and they banned me from OW 2.

1 Like

A good chunk will just use somebody else’s phone number. Not that hard.