So I guess I'm barred from playing OW 2

Just learned that it requires a phone number on a plan that I cannot under any circumstances acquire…

At least as of this time.

Oh and note for those saying “if you can afford a console/pc you can afford a phone plan”

DO YOU LIVE ON EARTH.

Nobody is gunna swap phone plans to play a videogame. Nobody.

64 Likes

They will probably give an alternative if their player count drops too low for too long.

12 Likes

Between not caring about such collateral damage, raising the entry barrier, and taking polarizing decisions…
I wonder what is Blizzard cooking for OW2…

Do they bet this much on Whales carrying the game?

24 Likes

Wouldn’t be a stretch to believe so if Diablo Immortal is anything to go by. That game still makes them millions on the daily.

3 Likes

I’m not sure about all that, but what I am sure of is this…

Unless something changes, I am officially spending my last day playing OW before I am not allowed to play the “free to play” OW 2, due to not owning a more expensive phone or phone plan.

29 Likes

Wow, now there’s a name I haven’t seen here in a long time.

9 Likes

Yea well today seems to be my last day playing before I am physically booted out of the game due to my lack of funds.

9 Likes

Have you tried to input it because the system has been very inconsistent? Some pre-paid plans work, others don’t. Even the ones that don’t work, some people have been saying it worked for them.

2 Likes

I feel you man, I’m in the same boat. :joy: :sob:

1 Like

I have indeed, it immediately told me the phone number wouldn’t work.

5 Likes

Ah that’s unfortunate. I don’t know the technicalities but it’s suspicious how inconsistent everything has been. I can’t tell if the problem is on Blizz’s side or if it’s down to a fundamental difference in certain phone plans.

Do you use your phone number for SMS verification for any other platform?

2 Likes

I don’t, no. And it’s a simple plan, definitely not the expensive types. And I make $0, as of now… so there is zero way to replace it, because I am not the one handling my phone plan as of now.

5 Likes

I pay like 20 a month, I pay annually tho, so I don’t think it’s about expensive phones or phone plans, it’s just verified phone plans, and it seems some carriers aren’t either updating their stuff correctly or don’t care, but it’s def not a matter of cost it’s just a service that doesn’t allow you to open a bunch of accounts and phone numbers

2 Likes

I mean, it boils down to cost. Either I buy a whole new phone plan, or I don’t play the game.

5 Likes

I really shouldn’t be saying this but search the internet, ppl have found a work around through an app, but you didn’t hear it from me

That’s not gunna work either… so unless something changes in the next two days, I’m just… kicked to the curb.

Six years of play down the toilet.

5 Likes

I guess kiriko fox is really teretorial one and didnt wanted more foxes in the game.

1 Like

I was excited too. I knew I wasn’t gunna be able to earn most of the cosmetics, and hell… I even paid for the watchpoint pack.

That’s another $40 down the toilet.

13 Likes

Yea that sucks, best info i saw about it was someone posting on forum that some regions not going to need phone but not sure how true it was, you know forum say a lot of things.

3 Likes

Damn, they should’ve made the message bigger on the page to buy the Watchpoint Pack because the first bullet point says:

“ [Internet connection, Battle.net® desktop application, and Battle.net® Account required to play. A mobile phone number must be linked to your Battle.net® Account to play Overwatch® 2].”

I’m surprised so many people missed it. Either way, if you know you won’t be able to play OW2 I’d recommend getting a refund for the Watchpoint Pack. Blizzard have been handing out a ton of refunds as of late.

1 Like