So 2-2-2 role que is kinda comfirmed

No, he did an interview yesterday with Stylosa. Overwatch Jeff Interview - Role Queue and The Future

I could timestamp the 2Flex-2-2 if you want as well.

Again, do you think it’s realistic that devs would practically redefine the entire game meta to deal with GOATs, then just go ahead and disallow GOATs?

It was not confirmed, not even kind of. Watch the entire segment. He said that while he is a fan of the idea, between the resource costs to make it happen, not mention the scope of work, and the queue impact for damage dealers, it isn’t happening anytime soon.

1 Like

I think that’s more of a “if we can think of a good system that deals with the DPS queue times, we might do it sooner”.

• Jeff: “I am a huge fan of 2/2/2 comp and we believe this is the accepted way to play the game.”
  • Jeff: “I think role queue is a great idea.”
  • Jeff: “It took over two years to write the matchmaker, and if we want to pursue a role queue it will take months and months to implement a role queue, and we have people working on this now.”

So, to put this into a simple summary: Jeff: We already have people working on this. But, it’s going to take a while. You can find the entire summary script in the General discussion here: Pinned Stylosa: Jeff Kaplan on 2/2/2

He also mentioned the time and budget resources that would be needed for it. Meaning: do they have the investment to make it happen in the near future. He made sure to mention that.

Why because he is not complaining?

I play flex/support, so a role queue won’t affect me much personally, but it WILL affect the vast sea of people who would rather dps. And I worry that if this becomes a thing, people will start quitting after a month or two of being tired of long queue times.

That is a valid concern that I’m sure they’ve considered. The game being regulated may also bring back a lot of tank and support players as well, though. It’ll be interesting to see how it all unfolds if/when we get the role select.

Sometimes you have to put some type of structure to overall improve a game. Be it irl sports, or video games.

For instance in football (us). If you do not know football, you might think anyone can catch a pass. In reality half of the offense is ineligible to receive in order to create balance and structure to the game.

The offensive line (lets call them the tanks) can not even step past the line of scrim during a passing play, much less catch the ball, or its an illegal play.

This provides a balance so the defense is not overwhelmed trying to cover them as passers along with covering everything else.

The point is, structure can make the game better in the long term.

They can provide more interesting tank mechanics (and make them more dps’y), as well as doing the same for heals.

tl;dr Structure in a game can be good, and in OW 2/2/2 can make tanks and heals more fun to play w/o making DPS useless.

1 Like

That pretty much sums it up. So far, players have shown horrible restraint in creating comps that make any sense.

You’ll still get to do weird comps in QP, just not comp.

Its not confirmed, all Jeff ever did was say he was a fan of it, and he sees a lot of benefits and believes overall the community is ready for it.

I expect some form of role queue in comp, not in QP or arcade.

Thank god for no no-limits in comp, that was just ridiculous.

1 Like

My hope is they roll out some changes to tanks and healers to make them more interesting for dps to play.

2/2/2 lets them get more interesting.

Heck, it may even let them throw in more heal mechanics for dps.

Yeah, but with 2-2-2 you only get:.

• 2DPS-2Tank-2Heal

2Flex-2Tank-2Heal is way better, because you get:

• 2DPS-2Tank-2Heal
  • 1DPS-3Tank-2Heal
  • 1DPS-2Tank-3Heal
  • 3Tank-3Heal
  • 4Tank-2Heal
  • 2Tank-4Healer
    • For those Batiste+Ana+Mercy+Zen+Orisa+Roadhog comps, with 312% a damage boost :stuck_out_tongue:

Hence why I said structure can be good. It allows for more design freedom for tanks, healers, and dps.

If they did not provide restraints to downfield lineman, the forward pass would break the game and every play would be a pass because you could not defend against it.

If they put limitations on comps, they can a lot more creative with toolkit design w/o heroes breaking the game.

Is 2/2/2 the answer for OW? I dont know. I am not good enough at the game to say something like that, but it has a big possibility to bring some interesting ideas and designs to the table for all roles…

I mean, that has somewhat of an argument. But it’s it worth having 3-4 Rein equivalent tanks, but only one team composition?

I think so, but I take my opinion with a big grain of salt because I am really only 2-3mo in OW and at silver elo lol.

How about the game just plays itself for us and we just sit and watch? I think that’d be pretty cool and organized.

Feels like the variety would be wasted, as one Rein-style shield tank would be outright better, and the others wouldn’t get used.

Gotta have the combination of unique, but also worthwhile choices. Not just “more choices”.

Awww yeet! OW should have had this from the start. Triple (or more) of any hero class is just dumb and obviously effective.