Should role-lock be removed?

I agree and that’s because their dev team in general was a failure. Imagine lurking content creator discords for insights. Out of touch and layoff worthy.

Nope, I prefer RoleQ, I don’t like babysitting 5 DPS as Support <3

5 Likes

And I won’t tank for 5 DPS

3 Likes

It most likely will be removed for overwatch 2 if role passives are a certain thing. Otherwise you could stack multiple tanks and supports again to maker UBER GOATS. :goat: :goat: :goat:

the many differences…including but not limited to where the buttons are…are relevant and many folks - like myself - care very much about them.

If that were not the case, people would not be posting about these differences

actually…many forum members have made this claim…many times

not at all

I accept and understand that you and some others may feel this way

but thats hardly “we all”

many forum members, myself included, find role-less queue with its freedoms to be the superior mode. I personally find role-less queue to be vastly superior to 222. Many players have stated similar on these forums and in other internet-based discussion platforms

better is a judgement call

tho it is stated as a fact in the statement above, it isn’t a fact, it is an opinion

an opinion many disagree with

can still play? yes

equivalent to the 222 modes in all ways other than queuing? no

not sure what you mean by directory

if you mean the same game selection menu, then yes, I agree.

however, the same cannot be said about qp, and this should not be the case

I do not agree that 222 is superior. to me, 222 is THE vry worst change ever made to the game, with no close second

short answer:
no

detailed answer:
this is a discussion forum

an OW discussion forum

where forum members discuss OW topics

there is no place more suited for the discussions that you demand be ended in the statement above

so again: no

the change to 122 is exactly the sort of change that you claim willnever happen in the earlier part of the statement above

factually, Blizzard will make such changes when and if they deem fit, no matter how many forum members insist otherwise

I am a support main, and I prefer (and play almost exclusively in) role-less queue mode

Many other tank and/or support players play role-less queue - I see them in almost every game

not at all

as I stated earlier, I and many many prefer role-less queue mode

1 Like

Except many many MANY more people prefer RQ and QP over OQ, and this is FACT as given by Blizzard.

The only region that had anything remotely akin to OQ being dominant over forced 2-2-2 is the Korean region, which has a smaller population than all of the other major regions (NA, EU, and China).

Link in this topic:

Couple caveats:

1. This is data from around december of 2020. While it may be a bit dated, it is the best representation we’ve ever had, coming straight from the devs themselves, in terms of what modes are played.

2. OQ comp at this point was still an arcade exclusive. On the one hand, it means that it wasn’t considered a major game mode at the time. On the OTHER hand, though, it was originally a limited competitive mode that had been announced. Those who already played QPC would have had ready access to OQ comp as well. Additionally, a ‘return to form’ mode that had been gone since September of the previous year should have logically had more of a following than a mode that anyone can play at any time.

3. Balance today leans heavily toward 2-2-2, that is a simple fact. BUT, for a long time, the game was also balanced with 2-2-2 in mind regardless (which I personally think is part of the reason why goats was allowed for so long). Overall, the setting of being able to play whatever you want has not changed all that much, contrary to what everyone seems to believe for the mode. People still generally prefer 2-2-2 as it’s the most objectively balanced kind of composition, and generally, playing outside of it is more so due to need rather than want (you get 3 dps players, you’re going to get 3 dps on your team generally speaking).

Overall, Role Lock should not be removed, and is most likely here to stay until the end of Overwatch’s life. However, I do hope that they keep some kind of mode for those who enjoy OQ.

1 Like

This story keeps getting told and retold and retold yet again…but no valid data to support this claim has ever been presented

More to the point - Blizzard has never provided any preference/popularity data to support this claim

Here’s a direct link to a piece of this data, which is from april 2020…well over a year ago

Imgur

It is indeed data from Blizzard, but it DOES NOT support the claim being made here

First, and most importantly, it is usage data, not preference/popularity data. the two are very different.

Usage <> preference/popularity

Second, it is from over a year ago…it is older data, just as you said

Third, it is an apples to oranges comparison even as usage data, for the reasons you state in the following section and more, as I will get into momentarily

I appreciate that you are among the very few that admit at least some of the limitations of this data as a basis for comparing the two modes, but as I said, the full apples to oranges picture is bigger

the data is of low value because:
a. it was for a single solitary day
b. it was for a day when role-less queue competitive had JUST the day or so before been announced
c. this reintroduction of competitive was labeled “temporary” and as such may who were aware it existed didnt bother with it
d. this reintroduction of competitive was buried one menu level down in the arcade where many didnt even know it existed

bottom line is, once again, that the comparison being drawn upon here is a very apples to oranges comparison, of little value whatsoever

again, there’s been no valid data to support this claim

while I don’t agree with “most balanced” or with “objective” (such a claim can never be objective, given the lack of a universal measuring stick for such arrangements)…I don’t see “balanced” as important. This is because the goal of winning the game isn’t connected to balance, it is connected to being effective in accomplishing the goals of the given scenario

acknowledged and appreciated

2 Likes

this “5 dps” (sometimes 6 dps) story is told a lot on these forums, as if with each retelling the story becomes more true

but it doesnt

thing is, the devs (who have the actual role usage data) have made it clear that 5dps games were (and still are, in role-less queue mode) fairly rare

1 Like

Why? You can open que.

No. I also play QPC and i get the same thing. 1-3-2 is pretty much the norm, 2-2-2 is about as popular but tends to get run over by 1-3-2.

2 Likes

And you do have the statistics of my matches, so you can say that what I’m saying about my matches and experience isn’t true? Even if it’s a ‘rare thing’, the number of 5dps matches is still pretty high due to the high playerbase. And I actually can show you footage of me having 6-7 consecutive matches with 5 instalock dps. Actually there was no day of me not having at least one 5dps match up until I reached masters in s6. From that point on it was rare, but I still got matches like that.

1 Like

I would like to see this
10 consecutive replay codes of open Q

You’re kinda dumb but 2-2-2 was worth it.

1 Like

Unless there is a very good reason why people would not play the mode they prefer even though it is available, it is pretty safe to assume that the usage data is rather similar to the popularity data - especially since in fact there are close similarities with the results of forum/reddit/twitter polls.

And there is not a single hint that the player behavior has changed significantly since then.

And before you bring this up again:

Korean players obviously haven’t had much trouble finding the Ranked Open Queue mode in the Arcade.
The only region in which Open Q actually might win the popularity contest is also the one for which the official usage data reflects that.

3 Likes

you certainly can

but the so-called equivalents to 222 for both qp and competitive are not actually equivalent

it is highly unlikely that any one player experiences a very high occurrence rate of a scenario that only occurs rarely in the game overall

not at all

as the number of players increases, the distribution of what the players wants to play remains fairly constant

as such, an increased number of players has no effect on this

unlikely but possible

what happened in the 6th match? the 7th? the 8th? etc

1 match with 5dps a day isnt imo a high rate of occurrence

not at all

the two types of data are not similar in any way, and the method used to collect them is very different as well

again, usage <> preference/popularity

not at all

invalid data like the above doesnt support any claims, because its…invalid

the game has changed significantly since then, and player preference does change over time. For example, metas change, because a large body players suddenly prefers character a and b over characters x and y, even though they never played characters a and b the week prior

there are quite frankly players who never enter the arcade

there are also players who dont want to waste their time on a temporary mode

comparing two modes when one is brand new, temporary, and buried one menu level down and the other isn’t is absolutely an apples to oranges comparison

such a statement is a guess

as far as I know, there is no valid mode preference data for Overwatch, so the guess seems entirely baseless

1 Like

It “splits” the community something like 97% 3%. OQ comp is less popular than mystery heroes and yet there are people who think the majority wants it back? Really?

2 Likes

there’s no valid popularity data to support this claim that I know of

can you point me to the alleged supporting data?

1 Like

The only data we have is the data from the very first week it came out (aka in theory when it is at peak popularity) because Jeff posted it for us and outside of Korea it had no grasp whatsoever. It was half as popular as Mystery Heroes and was about 1/10 the population of BOTH RQ Comp and RQ QP on its own. In NA it accounted for something like 2% of games and in EU it was about 5% which was in both cases drastically smaller than Mystery Heroes.

Given that time has passed since its introduction, it would seem unlikely that those numbers went up but even if they held steady its not a significant population.

2 Likes

When I heard OW2 is gonna be one tank I thought it was gonna be 3 dps 2 support 1 tank…
But… maybe that is an idea too good to be true.
DPS would probably have to hit like a feather duster, but I bet people would still play haha :slight_smile:

the problem is not exactly 2-2-2 … but how it was introduced. Given that one of the problems of the meta has always been the abuse of tank combos (since 2016 with Ana 1.0), introducing the 2-2-2 has only changed the numbers, but has not adapted almost any hero. no provision for the anonymous role of “former” defending heroes such as torb, bastion or junkrat. no concrete analysis of hybrid heroes like symmetra, sombra or mei. no consideration for eliminating the differences between Main and Off roles. but above all: no provision on the variety of heroes, there is too much choice among the dps, and it is easy to be attracted to try something new compared to support and tanks, the latter almost always limited by nerfs due to the abuse of combo.

what makes the news announced by the developers in 5v5 more convincing are the changes for all. for the first time, ALL the heroes are involved in a change dictated by their role, and not by what made them “famous”: the dps must not have cc, the tanks limit the ultra and the supports find a new vigor in how to manage their resources on fewer companions. obviously I don’t have a magic sphere that sees the future, only when oW2 comes out will we know if everything will be okay.

in any case, removing the 2-2-2 now … is not a solution for anyone. neither does the problem arise, since there are comps in both modes. but we must always remember that the downfall of Overwatch was precisely the optimism of the developers to allow the use of many tanks in the field. many forget this, but with Ana 1.0 the meta was shifting to the quad tank, if they hadn’t nerfed the original grenade.