Season 2 retrospective: A look back and the road forward

Season 2 retrospective: A look back and the road forward

Reflections and next steps for Ramattra, seasonal events, rewards, and more

View Full Article

56 Likes

Our team is aware of some community pain points with competitive mode and matchmaking, specifically matches with wide skill variations, inconsistent games, and too few and infrequent competitive updates. We have a set of improvements coming to matchmaking, and we’re also working on updates to the competitive system.

Everyone who said the MM was fine are eating crow now. They’ve been using QP MM in ranked to improve queue times. It’s gonna be hilarious when queue times skyrocket now because this dead game doesn’t have enough players left for balanced matches.

33 Likes

Wow, good frequency of blog posts

As for Ramattra permanently being in Nemesis form while blocking.

What if they make it so that using block while in Nemesis form, doesn’t contribute to the infinite duration of the Ult. And only punch-mode contributes to the infinite duration of the Ult.

Also, FYI this goes live in the next 5 minutes

7 Likes

(Re)Introducing Credits and Hero Gallery Update

In Season 3, we’re bringing back Overwatch Credits, which had been previously shown as Legacy Credits and been unearnable in Overwatch 2. Now, all players can earn up to 1500 credits as free rewards and another 500 credits as premium rewards spread throughout Season 3 Battle Pass. We are also adding more uses for your Credits so you can choose from many potential rewards.

Specifically, we are making two related updates to our Hero Gallery. First, nearly all the epic and legendary-tier skins prior to Overwatch 2 launch will always be available in the hero gallery for purchase with either Overwatch Coins or Credits. This includes skins from the seasonal event modes, so now you can finally pick up Witch Mercy, Surf ‘N’ Splash Torbjörn, or Snowman Wrecking Ball any time of the year without waiting for the event to roll around! Second, we’re lowering the standard price of these legendary skins to 1500 Coins or Credits.

Taken together, these changes mean all players can earn a legendary skin of their choice each season from the Hero Gallery skins just for playing normally and without needing to make any purchases.

We understand that some players already have very large balances of Credits. To ensure that all players feel rewarded for the time they spend playing, we’re looking into additional ways for players to use Credits in the future.

These changes aren’t the end of our journey to make Overwatch 2 a more rewarding game to play - they’re just the beginning. We have more updates coming in future seasons, and we’ll be reading your feedback to understand what’s working, and what isn’t, for all of you.

Insert DiCaprio you have my attention meme here

42 Likes

Earnable credits and permanently available classic event skins hype!
The 1500 free credits being the same price as an old legendary skin is a nice idea.
Feels good to be excited for something in this game again.

18 Likes

In Season 3, we’re bringing back Overwatch Credits, which had been previously shown as Legacy Credits and been unearnable in Overwatch 2. Now, all players can earn up to 1500 credits as free rewards and another 500 credits as premium rewards spread throughout Season 3 Battle Pass. We are also adding more uses for your Credits so you can choose from many potential rewards.

So you guys finally admitting that removing OW1 credit was a mistake? good to know.

And starting in Season 4, our goal is to offer new items as rewards for most of our big events.

Because giving away a 6 year old skin as a reward didn’t work too well eh? (Battle of Olympus skin reward lmao)

15 Likes

I am very excited for the hero mastery plans. Beyond excited even…

I do worry though that while this hero gallery update is fantastic, it doesn’t really address the main problem with progression in overwatch 2- its too tied to the battle pass. Once the battle pass is done, its down to weekly for actual progression.

I think the eventual hero mastery system could very well fix this, but in the short term im worried about the overall progression still.

Regardless, fantastic update. Very excited for the future!

5 Likes

Reintroduction to credits is cool and players will finally be able to earn stuff, but is it only gonna be available for OW1 skins? If so then they will still feel useless for players with complete OW1 galleries. Maybe the next changes will bring more options to such players.

12 Likes

And while still in the early stages, we have begun design work on a hero-based progression system that would showcase the energy players put into playing each hero and mastering their different capabilities.

:eyes:

11 Likes

Please severely nerf the amount of experience necessary for titles. The time it takes to get to max battle pass level is fine, but to essentially do it all over again with something like two million additional experience is insane. We paid for the content, I don’t want to slave away to actually get what I paid for. I want my titles.

8 Likes

Everything about OW2 has been a mistake. The phone number requirement is gone. Credits are coming back. Prices are dropping. Rank resets are going away. 7 wins is getting lowered to 5. Give it another 6 months and they’ll go back to 6v6.

41 Likes

Let’s wait for them to admit that 5v5 was a mistake :rofl:

10 Likes

Now, all players can earn up to 1500 credits as free rewards and another 500 credits as premium rewards spread throughout Season 3 Battle Pass. We are also adding more uses for your Credits so you can choose from many potential rewards.

FINALLY! Thank you. I can afford to buy emotes and voice lines again without having to waste my hard earned coins. The entire season worth of coins JUST for an emote is just plain stupid.

18 Likes

not everything of overwatch 2 has been a mistake idk what your on

1 Like

Exactly! Im not going to spend 7 bucks a pop for new heroes emotes.

3 Likes

im happy they are finnaly lisening to future looks bright

2 Likes

Only for old accounts. If you want a new account you have to attach a phone number. Don’t believe me? Try it.

4 Likes

Since you asked:
“We set a goal in Overwatch 2 of having more frequent in-game events and unique limited-time game modes. As we gather your feedback and look at whether you enjoyed different events, we expect to improve and bring many of them back in the future.”

Lunar New Year was an embarrassment. CTF??? That’s always in Arcade mode anyways. Where is the new?

1 Like

These are good changes but there is still a lot of room for improvement…

If I am reading this right, these new Overwatch Credits that are earnable through the battle can only be used for old stuff? I already have all of the old skins I want… because I played this game since Overwatch 1 beta.

I should, at the very least, get enough Overwatch coins to buy the next battle pass/a new skin every season. I really hope we see something like this in the future because while it is certainly a very good change, there is a lot of room for improvement still.

Also, please let us use these new Overwatch credits on victory poses/emotes/highlight intros.

11 Likes

I did it the other day. No phone number requirement. Fresh email. Go try it right now. They stealth removed the requirement for everyone at some point. I think they are desperate for players.

2 Likes