"Saying GG is just good sportsmanship"

says who? the salty several who got mad that people were “rubbing” the victory in their faces by dare uttering “gg”? please. this trend of trying to twist gg into some great, toxic offense is honestly outrageous, and it just lends credence to people who want to find underlying toxicity in people’s words where it doesn’t exist. should i also start claiming offense when someone asks me to swap because it implies they think i’m bad and i think that’s toxic? i could find offense in likely every single thing a person types if i tried hard enough. where do we draw the line in interpreting toxicity where there is none?

3 Likes

Rubbing in your victory is kinda the opposite of good sportsmanship.
People just want something to validate their behavior.

You don’t know that. You suspect it.

I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that you’re right on this.

But I still believe that more people saying gg are in the right spirit than you suspect.

2 Likes

I always gg and I give people sportsmanship for gging. Sue me?

4 Likes

I think fighting shadows and finding imaginary ill intent is just going to make your gameplay experience worse. Rather than assuming everyone is out to attack you, seems easier just to assume they mean well and move on with your day.

3 Likes

I’m not even gonna say who it was, but you know who else had good intentions. You know. Actions matter more than intentions do, ultimately - and lazy actions will be responded to accordingly.

From my experience, it’s always the winner that says GG. I never see anyone from the losing team say it.

Doesn’t matter how the game End, I’ll always say GG.
It’s just like that since I start PvP in MMORPG.
GG is not an insult or so, so if you’r tilted by that your problem, not mine.
Take it like “thx for this game”.

2 Likes

Why did you make this thread? It’s a videogame, stop getting so mad. I would understand a bit if it was like gg ez or something but they literally just said gg and it triggered you enough to make an entire thread. That’s kind of sad. Get help.

1 Like

If you misinterpret something, it is your own fault for applying context without any knowledge of the other persons intent.

If you have no knowledge of the others persons intent and you automatically apply a negative meaning to it this speaks to issues with your default stance on interaction.

The adult stance on interactions is to assume nothing and take things at face value until an action or word proves another persons actions to be negative.

If I say “GG” with the intent of being polite in the name sportsmanship you have zero reason to be upset outside of your own misinterpretation.

GG is not lazy. It’s something quick you can do at the end of the match before people leave. The lobby in overwatch specifically closes after less then a minute and people tend to leave pretty quick. A quick “GG” has the best chance of being seen by more people.

Intent is what matters. If you are getting upset because they did not write a poem or a manga about how good a game it was then I have a feeling your expectations are a little less then reasonable.

3 Likes

Time for Blizzard to remove Match chat from the game.

1 Like

The sharkmen are going to invade soon, get your hurt word dictionaries ready to defend yourselves.

Totally, dude. Actions don’t matter at all. Only intent. :roll_eyes:

If you hadn’t noticed, internet culture - generally speaking - is a cesspool of sarcasm, and that bleeds into Overwatch. So you actually can’t take two letters “at face value,” because it means different things from different people, and frankly, I have no time to keep track of everyone who says it. Nobody does. Most people are sarcastic about it, and there’s no time to keep track of all the ones that do mean it, from all the ones that don’t.

I’m not making an entire list of people that mean it vs the ones who don’t, lmao. You’re not that important. The only difference between me and you is I’m not facetious about it. Oh loooook at me, I’m so sportsmanlike, guys! Whoooo~ Oh we steamrolled you guys? Better be a robot and say

gg

Generalizing is the time-efficient method for people I don’t care about.

1 Like

You have never played a sport where you go shake the teams hand/ fistbumb after a game wetherbyou won or lossed? Its the same concept.

2 Likes

When it comes to words? Yes. Intent is the determining factor on meaning.

If I say something and someone else misinterprets my meaning despite my words containing nothing to lead them to that misinterpretation it is not my fault.

However, an mature person never assumes intent and gives the benefit of a doubt when they do not know the person. The approach you are taking however is assuming the worst from the start.

You’ve allowed previously poor experiences to jade you and make you extremely pessimistic. I guarantee you would be a much happier person if you worked on this and instead approached it from the perspective of “innocent until proven guilty.”.

You don’t have to keep track of anything. You only need to stop assuming the worst. Your reaction is illogical and entirely emotion based. Just because some dude said it sarcastically does not mean everyone does.

From our conversation so far I am starting to think that perhaps you’ve assumed that most people are being sarcastic about it despite the lack of evidence.

Once again, you don’t need too. You just need to work on your perspective and stop assuming that every “GG” is a toxic one. Because I am betting most of them have not been and you are just assuming they are.

It is not about me feeling good about myself or trying to give myself a pat on the back. Part of my upbringing is to be polite to people before, during, and after anything competitive in nature.

GG is an established way of doing it.

You are expecting the world to change its behaviors because of your own skewed and pessimistic view of a word. I have news for you. The world does not revolve around your sensibilities.

The reality is that “gg:” is not going anywhere. You have a decision to make. You can either work on your perspective and give everyone the benefit of a doubt or you can continue to be miserable every time a harmless pairing of the same letter crosses your screen.

This is my final reply to you as I am pretty certain you are going to choose the latter. I feel sorry for you.

5 Likes

This basically. If you expect people to be negative that is all you will ever see. Look up self-fulfilling prophecies. If you come in with a better attitude you may enjoy the game more. Also depends on what sort of people you play against seeing as the younger players still havebthings to learn as they grow (which is understandable for teens in puberty).

5 Likes

Sore losers and sore winners both exist. But saying GG ain’t toxic regardless of how butthurt you are.

Sorry, I don’t see any contradiction here. Saying “good game” is a post-match virtual handshake.

2 Likes

Until I see you shaking someone’s hand and they accept it and shake in return, it’s not even close to the same. A handshake requires both to participate. A “gg” is one-sided self-indulgence, unless the losing team says it first. Then you can reciprocate, like a handshake is used, you know. The thing you’re trying to compare it to.

its not the same concept, ones face to face with actual human beings, the other is 2 damn letters said by someones face you cant even see hiding behind a computer monitor at some random place in the world.

When you dont have that face to face contact, saying something as lazy as GG is so vague and lazy that you cant reasonably be mad at people for assuming its sarcasm. If you actually care about sportsmanship take the extra 2 to 3 seconds to actually type a statement about the game and not some lazy thoughtless 2 letter spam. When youre behind the internet you have to be more specific with your intent not less. Otherwise general internet culture, especially within gaming communities will reasonably lead most people to believe youre being toxic since in overwatch 90% of the time people use match chat for anything its to be toxic.

You can spam your meaningless overused GGs after every game, but you dont get to be upset when people assume youre being sarcastic because you couldnt be bothered to put in more than a second of effort into the message. Im not against GG specifically but more so against overuse of vague unspecific brainless memespeak. My general rule of thumb is if it isn’t worth the effort to actually try to get your point fully across, it isn’t worth the effort at all. I find saying GG as worthwhile as typing first early in a youtube video, or simply I agree when replying to someones topic. TLDR: If you do not actually have something to say don’t waste other peoples time with useless non statements.