"Saying GG is just good sportsmanship"

It is just good sportsmanship, stop being such an easily offended snowflake.

2 Likes

Isn’t this confirmation bias?

Is it not worth considering that perhaps people who spend a good portion of their time on a discussion board typing up responses may also have a higher likely hood to say something in match chat at the end of a game? Such as “GG”?

I don’t think you can draw any conclusions based on the results of a threads answers.

2 Likes

No, I am choosing to say Good game when I personally feel it was a good game.
The outcome does not matter if I fought hard and lost and felt it was a good game I will say GG.

If I had incompetent team mates I wouldn’t expect the enemy team to know this so I wont say GG but am totally fine with them saying it because it doesn’t have malicious intentions behind it 99.99% of the time and even if it does it is two letters…

If I wanted to offend people I would say “I didn’t even have to try” whenever I win but I don’t because I don’t say things just to offend fragile little flowers after games.

It probably varies from region to region but I often see losing teams say GG.

People say it when they feel it was a good game as they should.

The problem isn’t with people who say GG the problem is entirely with people playing an online multiplayer shooter who cannot handle seeing two letters.

Single player games still exist and I highly recommend them to people who find GG offensive in any way.

1 Like

This is actually true. I’m surprised someone actually pointed this out because I thought I was the only one who noticed this phenomenon.

I swear, the main types of people who type “gg” seem to always be the ones who would only do so if THEY won the game, and in any other instance you know good and well that if they loss that match they would have nothing to say and be the first one rage quitting at the defeat screen.

gg has basically become a universal “great game for us, sucks for you”, just to rub it in the face of the other team, rather than “great game” in general in OW language.

6 Likes

But… I bought the Island Adventure season pass… :pleading_face:

1 Like

Yeah, I think you should actually stop being offended at when you think people are being offended but actually not being offended.

1 Like

Actually made me lol. Perfect comparison.

My continuing conclusion is that winning for them has long lost any sort of joy so they “gg” just to get any sort of feeling out of the whole process.

1 Like

In my experience it’s often the winning team who says ‘gg’, or worse… ‘gg ez’, even when it was a complete stomp. A good reason to just turn off ‘match chat’ and only use ‘team chat’.

2 Likes

Didnt matter who said gg first in the quake and unreal days.

2 Likes

Wtf do we even have these threads?

Seriously, when has paying attention to “match chat” ever helped you win even a single competitive game?

Just keep it permanently muted. Why wouldn’t you?

There is not one single competitive advantage it can bring you unless you are the one doing the taunting.

1 Like

This is such a good comment I had to pick it up, even though it’s not exactly what this thread is about. The “it’s sportsmanship” excuse(disclaimer: excuse in most cases in my opinion) sounds especially shallow when you consider a match can be over in five minutes. How much sportsmanship is there left on something you spam at total strangers 12 times in an hour. :sweat_smile:

It’s funny how often I’ll see someone type gg then a couple seconds later ez win.

Effort and frequency are irrelevant. Intent is all that matters. If my intent is to be a good sport then you do not get to tell me that it wasn’t sporting.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s maybe a generational thing. For as long as I remember it’s always just been good manners in competitive games to wish your opponents luck and to say gg win or lose.

I’m not sure when it changed and people started perceiving it as toxic, Overwatch is the first game I’ve encountered it in. But if you’re not enjoying the games you’re playing and they truly aren’t “good games” then maybe just take a break for a while and do something more enjoyable.

5 Likes

i know you already made fun of people who say this this, but… it’s just good sportsmanship. seriously, that’s all it is. the people who are trying to feel offended or find toxic undertones in “gg” messages at the end of the game, regardless of the match’s results, are part of the problem that perpetuates toxicity. kind of in the same way that people were mad over the “fake positivity” that came about when endorsements were introduced. good manners, even if half hearted, hurt no one.

we could sit here all day and pick apart people’s words and intentions to try and make them feel bad about it, but what good does that do anyone? gg is just being polite, and trying to make people feel like they’re causing toxicity or offense just because gg tilts some sore losers is counterproductive to the game’s health.

4 Likes

effort and frequency aren’t irrelevant. The entire reason gg can be seen as an insult by many is that its such a lazy message with no thought behind it that it is up for infinite interpretation. If you actually gave a crap about sportsmanship and weren’t just trying to stroke your own ego telling yourself you have good sportsmanship for typing 2 letters at the end of every game, you would bother to type something of value so people know for 100% what you mean. If GG fails to get your intentions across than its a bad thing to spam no matter what you think.

I don’t consider GG “good” sportsmanship in anyway, I consider it the laziest possible attempt at sportsmanship and that doesn’t really match the “good” part this thread is trying to imply, and to be honest since GG is such an overused useless gesture at this point I find it worse than doing nothing cause youre taking chat space away from people who would actually say something. Lastly if spamming GG doesn’t get your good intentions across 100% of the time than its just bad language overall. You can’t be mad at people for interpreting your intentions incorrectly when you can’t be bothered to put more than 2 keystrokes into what those intentions are.

2 Likes

Nope. Isn’t. Not anymore.

The amusement I got out of that failed social experiment is hearing keyboard headshrinkers thinking my base level endorsement is caused by my “toxicity” when I don’t and haven’t played a game mode where that functions.

1 Like

The amount of times GG is used just waters down its meaning. People say it more than the AI bots.

1 Like

This.

I always respond to these people “congrats”.

I never “gg” in all chat after a win unless I’m specifically trying to taunt someone who was salty during the match. If anything, I say “gg” in team chat to celebrate with my team. I only reciprocate “gg” by the losers if they say it first not the other way around.

1 Like

Thats the reason i mute orange chat