"Saying GG is just good sportsmanship"

This makes me want to film a skit actually comparing handshake to GG in an extremely one-sided game. They would literally have to grab their arm with one hand, and put their hand into their own, then force them to shake it. That’s basically what’s going on when anyone that wins like that says “GG” lol. Would that be rude to do irl? I guess that’s up for interpretation :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Thats funny. I dont know why you think GG is so bad. Shorthand is to get your message accross quickly. You can type it as fast as you say good game out loud. You need to learn how to take it easy. If you assume assume everyone is sarcastic and paranoid as you are then you will not enjoy life.

5 Likes

Really? This is what the forums complaints have come to? The letters ‘gg’ used in a condescending manner? This is a new low.

2 Likes

After 20 years of using gg at the end of online games (simply as an acknowledgement that a match has taken place), the forums recently taught me that millenials had no concept of sportsmanship at all.
Now I hesitate to use it at all (and feel like a jerk whether I do or not), so… gg wp forum, I guess?

3 Likes

Wait, you’re beginning to get it.
Actually, NOT saying gg is like walking away in disgust from a handshake offered after a game. (Not saying I’ve never felt tempted to do so IRL, mind you.)

3 Likes

The only time I’ll say anything other than ‘gg’ or ‘ggwp’ after a match has concluded is if something happened which would invalidate the results. For example, if one team had a cheater, thrower, or leaver, I’ll say whatever seems appropriate. Yes, that includes after a steamroll. A ‘good game’ isn’t necessarily a close one; a good game is a fair one by the rules of the game itself. Both teams were present and had a clean fight? Then it was a good game.

Btw, it really is the equivalent of a handshake after a match. Hence, ‘good game’.

I’m a millenial… T_T

2 Likes

Actually, no it’s not. You cannot see their face when they type it, so you can’t read their intentions. If the losing team really looks like they don’t want to handshake, you probably wouldn’t even attempt it, either. You can’t do that sort of assessment online, so it’s actually polite to wait until the loser says it first.

The purpose of being polite is not to make you appear like a good person. It’s to take into consideration the feelings of the other person and act accordingly.

3 Likes

I didn’t mean to profile or alienate an entire generation, it’s just that I was simply floored when a recent thread revealed that a significant chunk of players have never heard about the practice (neither gg nor handshake), and the only plausible explanation I could come up with was age-based.
I still believe that anyone who started playing in the 90s knows what gg is for – but of course the opposite is not true, at least not as a blanket statement.

I’m baffled, isn’t this individualized approach more or less what you argued against in at least two of your posts above? :o

The point of the post-game handshake (which ‘gg’, until further notice, remains a virtual version of) would precisely be that no matter how you feel about the outcome, you go and do it unless you really want to be a sore loser. Yes, even if you’d really like to murder them all on the spot. You may choose to see this as dishonest - I’m going to stick with seeing it as civil. (Disclosure: I also do say ‘hi’ to friends I meet even if I have a bad day or have reason to believe they are having one.)

1 Like

the entire problem with GG is that the statement itself is so short, and void of any actual thought that it doesnt matter what you intend. Since you can’t read the others intentions it can be rude.

Imagine if you came from a place where showing someone the middle finger was a sign of trust and respect, than you go to somewhere else and you act all surprised that everyone gets offended, but from your line of reasoning youre still being polite even if everyone you are attempting to be “polite” to sees you as nothing more than pretentious prick. Sure you can say whatever you want to make yourself feel better, but if youre actively bothering people are you really being “polite” for the right reasons or are you just trying to validate your own ego?

Of course all of this would be alleviated if people could actually type out comments of value instead of thoughtlessly believing spamming 2 letters is in anyway a worthwhile use of chat space.

A distrustful person can’t help but distrust other people because he knows himself to be untrustworthy.

“gg” = “good game”. There’s no malicious intent behind it besides whatever you choose to interpret.

There’s at least always one guy from the loser group who says gg in the games that I’ve lost. That person is me.
Be the change you want to see in the world. That’s what Ghandi would do.

2 Likes

When you played little league soccer and completely destroyed the other team, did you still shake their hand afterwards? Of course, because sportsmanship doesn’t end when you steamroll someone. It’s two letters at the end of a match, if that’s too much toxicity for you this I’ve got bad news about this community for you.

2 Likes

This sentence makes no sense as it is currently structured.

To elaborate, a mind is dyed by the colour of it’s thoughts.

This is a form of Self-projection, where the subject person believes other people have malicious intention when they say “gg” because the person is the type who would say “gg” with malicious intention.

If we all agreed this was a sportsman-like gesture instead of suspecting every person of their motives, the world would be a better place.

4 Likes

Horrible. People that refuse to shake hands show off very poor sportsmanship and what sore losers they are.

Imagine OWL players or any Esport pros refusing to shake hands (even after they get destroyed). Thats extremely rude!

You always say GG, doesn’t matter how hard you win or lose. If you’re getting offended by good sportsmanship/a handshake/two letters then you’re either a salty little snowflake or toxic I’m afraid.

2 Likes

you guys are still going on about this? oh my god. i refuse to believe people get offended because other people are having fun and being polite.

3 Likes

Wrong. I don’t care about your intent, just like I don’t care about Stalin’s. I go by the majority of the individuals who use it online. They are the ones that dictate its meaning, unfortunately for everyone that would like to use it properly.

If people were more into using their brain and less robotic, the world would be a better place.

so gg = handshake yes? I don’t even know what you sound so angry about.

You think I’m angry, lol. That’s your problem, not mine.

Off topic, but nahh it’s certainly a “you” problem. I’m not saying you’re angry, but instead suggesting you come across as sounding like one =)

gg