Role Queue enabled for Competitive Season 18!

Hey everyone,

Season 18 of Competitive Play is here – and with it, Role Queue!

Unlocked at level 25, Competitive Play is designed for those players who want to put their skills to the test, and offers a more serious experience than our Quick Play or Arcade Modes.

GETTING STARTED

Before you can kick off your competitive career, every player will be required to complete five placement matches in a selected role to obtain their seasonal skill rating for that role. Players will earn separate skill ratings (SR) for each role in Competitive Play, for a total of three distinct SRs. This rating will be a number between 1 and 5000, with higher values indicating a greater skill level. Players will also be assigned a tier per role based on their rating—Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Master, or Grandmaster – and climbing into the next tier is possible as you improve.

Skill ratings and tier icons will be visible at the beginning of every match. As you compete, your selected role skill rating will increase or decrease with each win or loss based on a number of factors, including your own performance and the skill of the other players in the match.

A detailed breakdown of the skill tiers, along with icons and information about the corresponding skill ratings can be found by pressing the “Information” button under the Competitive Play menu.

COMPETITIVE REWARDS

In addition to experiencing the thrill of victory, players can also unlock unique rewards through Competitive Play. Anyone who completes their placement matches in any role during a Competitive Season will receive a special spray and player icon.

On top of that, as you complete competitive matches, you’ll earn a currency called Competitive Points. When the season concludes, you’ll also receive a number of Competitive Points based on the highest Skill Tier you obtained during the season per role to spend on golden versions of your favorite heroes’ weapons.

Here’s the new Skill Rating (SR) to Competitive Point (CP) breakdown:

Skill Tier Before After New Total
Bronze 65 25 75
Silver 125 50 150
Gold 250 100 300
Platinum 500 200 600
Diamond 750 300 900
Master 1200 450 1350
Grandmaster 1750 650 1950

TOP 500 LEADERBOARDS

The best of the best players compete across four separate Top 500 Leaderboards—one for each role, along with an additional combined average leaderboard. The combined Top 500 Leaderboard will be based on the player’s average skill rating across all three roles. To be eligible for a role-specific leaderboard, players must complete at least 25 games in that role (down from 50 games). To qualify for the combined Top 500 Leaderboard, players must be eligible for all three role-specific leaderboards. At the end of the season, players who earn a spot within the Top 500 players for any of these leaderboards on their platform and region will receive an additional player icon and animated spray.

Season 18 is live RIGHT NOW on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One, so power up your favorite gaming machine and join the fight. We’ll see you on the battlefield!

24 Likes

Exciting. I hope the placements are fixed :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Just reached Platinum on the Damage role last night. Now to see if I can keep that momentum up with Placements tonight!

22 Likes

You ruined the game :frowning:

58 Likes

Congrats, bro! Keep up the good work and good luck with placements :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good stuff!

I hope we get a detailed statement about what happened to the MMR when this season initially went live and how exactly it was fixed!

4 Likes

Are people taking it serious now in Masters/Low GM/Top 500?

How is SR determined for placements now? Is there an SR reset? Is there some formula using past SR for each of the roles? Does it just assume your SR in each role is the same as your previous cumulative? Is it based on the beta season?

Some information would be nice here.

2 Likes

Seems to be exactly the same as the beta. MMR still isn’t properly taken into account for each role, which kind of defeats the purpose.

8 Likes

Thanks Jeff for reducing the queue time on Classic.

3 Likes

My placements are still bugged. I placed when the issue started and have not had my placements reset or my SR fixed, My SR is stuck at 2.2k instead of the 4.2k it should be at

4 Likes

I think I should be higher than Gold also.

It’s annoying, I don’t play competitive why am I being asked to role queue in quick play!?

28 Likes

But what about people that can’t do placements because they already have their s18 SR from beta season’s?
And what about people that got their placement in s18 before “extended beta” and now sitting with same beta season’s SR?

2 Likes

Exactly! Why should I have to be forced to choose who I play before I even know what map it is or if I’m defending or attacking in quick play just because people can’t get along in competitive. I base who I play from that

13 Likes

Can we address this marketing material garbage? When you say “Role Que Enabled” do you mean “required”? Asking for a friend who doesn’t like to be treated like a child.

10 Likes

I play some tanks well. I play some DPS well. I don’t play all characters equally well.
A big part of my decision will be based on the map and my other teammates. That decision is obliterated with this change. For what? Less choice?

7 Likes

They seriously didn’t fix it?? WHAT!!! i’m never ever touching ranked ever again…i expected them to at least reset everyone’s MMR

Yeah, because the accidental reset that made them extend role queue beta wasn’t a dumpster fire. :roll_eyes:

What exactly do you hope to gain for ruining competitive for months just to end up exactly where you are, or lower because it’s a mess?

1 Like