Role Lock is not better than open queue. It just makes you FEEL better

Indeed. Now with role queue, the dps role is closed forever because I am NOT waiting ten minutes to join a losing game with 5 seconds left. I am a flex player, I like every role. Role queue locked me out of half the game.

And people don’t prefer role queue. It’s just the standard mode. Put quick play in open queue and suddenly…people prefer open queue.

1 Like

this is only partially true, and it misses the point

partially true because there is no open queue qp side by side with 222 on the main game selection menu. For competitive, yes…for qp, not so much.

misses the point because there are multiple differences between the two game modes aside from queuing methods, when there shouldnt be any other differences

It is exactly the same game with the same heroes on the same maps. The only difference is that roles are locked which is the point. If you don’t like it nobody is forcing you to play it. Open q is there for you in the exact same way it’s always been.

4 Likes

There are many other differences, as I already said

True, but it’d imo be best if the two modes were equivalent, queuing aside

its not there in qp on the main game selection menu…and before 222, thats where it “always was”

The problem with these questions is there’s so much bias both ways. A lot of the people who don’t like role lock have likely left the game, and the people who do like it probably stayed. Open Queue now is obviously not the same as the original competitive queue, simply because role lock exists. People who didn’t like old queue are going to exaggerate how awful it was(despite the fact that they kept playing), and the people who dislike role queue are often still playing it, so it can’t be all bad.

I preferred the old system a lot more than the new one. Role queue removed an aspect of the game that I found the most interesting part of Overwatch. However, I think the game as it is now probably appeals to more people, as they’re allowed to stick on their one or two characters and run with a play style they enjoy.

I would go back if I could, but I can’t, so why worry about it. It’s less enjoyable to me, but more enjoyable to a lot of people, so that’s what the game is now. In the same way, Tanks will probably end up Brawlers, because more people will enjoy that than tanking. The irony of role queue is that tank is just going to look more like dps.

5 Likes

RQ is by far the most popular. 66.8% vs 14.5% in NA.

3 Likes

Nope. Seeing 5 people lock DPS gave me anxiety and pissed me off because suddenly my job becomes about 50 times more difficult than it otherwise needs to be just so that these people can have “fun” at my expense.

8 Likes

OP no matter how many times you belittle Role queue, RQ is still the preferred mode of the players. Open queue has smaller number of players because either players left when RQ was introduced or players see RQ as the better mode. And doing this type of post will not make players suddenly flood OQ.

2 Likes

Rocklee was a good character in naruto

2 Likes

The problem isn’t that role queue is popular, it’s that role queue is a failed mode. Blizzard props up role queue by offering Disney-esque passes to play specific heroes. Think about that. No one wants to play the way you want them to play and you have to bribe them with passes and other incentives to get them to play the way you want them to. The whole thing was collapsing in on itself under the weight of absurdly long wait times. If that isn’t a failed mode, I don’t know what is.

The role queue people fail to understand (over and over again) is that people didn’t want to play tanks and healers to deprive you of a good game; people didn’t play because you supported every single support and tank character being nerfed into the ground. You’ve made tanks and supports boring and then act shocked and appalled and that no one wants to play your boring tank/support. You fill the roster with 2/3 of DPS heroes then act shocked and appalled that everyone plays DPS. Right now, you’ve nerfed tank after tank after tank and you’re still shocked and appalled that no one wants play them. No one is buying your feigned surprise except yourselves.

3 Likes

Open queue is terrible, they should remove it for 1-3-2. It’s a pointless mode filled with terrible comps and people who crutch triple tank and does nothing for 2-2-2 queue times like they said it would.

1 Like

Honestly I hate role queue as a dps main because I can’t switch to off-tanks and/or offense supports to mitigate enemy focus (in which case I will switch to offtank to increase survivability) or low team sustain (in which case zen/lucio is the choice, or even moira/ana should enemy comp allows it). The adaptation choice in the old days are actually not in the role one were in when they are facing problems.

Now if my team have problems, the best I can do is to try to overperform on dps heroes and hope that mitigates problems.

Before you ask me to queue tanks and supports in the first place, I queue flex queue more than 3/4 of my recent play time, even when my priority queue tickets are basically always overflowing and I’d bet if there’s no upperlimit I’d have thousands of them. I still don’t like role queue nonetheless.

5 dps was rare, what wasn’t rare was forcing 3 of your dps players to play off roles that they clearly weren’t comfortable on. OQ had the issue where games often were decided by which team had to make the least amount of compromises, even if people were willing to flex to off roles, it still felt awful being put at a disadvantage because of overlapping hero pools on your team.

7 Likes

Theoretically. What would actually happen a lot of the times though would be people switching from a Tank or Support to DPS in order to supposedly “help their team”, but unfortunately that would only result to the team getting handicapped.

Disagreed and on that note, even though in your and my experience 4/5/6 DPS games were rare, that’s unfortunately not the anecdotal experience everyone shares.

Someone did the math and the different possible team combinations fell to a few billions to a few millions with the implementation of RQ and if I’m not mistaken.

If you find a couple of millions of potential comps as static and boring, blame the META for that.

RQ more so, because it actually lets you pick whatever role you want to play before the match starts and you’re guaranteed to get it.

It’s no more a random, stressful race as it was pre - RQ.

And so, so, so, so many opportunities to throw games before they even begin…

For these reasons and more, RQ is of course going to rightfully remain as the main Competitive game mode in OW2 and beyond, as already confirmed.

If you don’t like it Open Queue is here for you.

3 Likes

You are saying ttwo completely contradictory things.

Also, how can RQ be the “failed game mode”, when it’s not the one that has outright lost its place as the main way to play this game?

It’s as if RQ was implemented to provide a kind of structure, which didn’t naturally exist, which is why it was implemented in the first place.

Like, I don’t get why this is such a difficult concept for some. A system isn’t automatically flawed because it tries to go against the flaw, or else no widespread problematic behavior would ever be fixed again in general.

Why are you baselessly generalizing and supposing here that all RQ supporters are also proponents of Tank/Support nerfs and DPS buffs?

Thus makes no sense whatsoever.

2 Likes

The devs have admitted that Goats barely existed on ladder. It’s an OWL thing.

Think about it. For goats to actually affect ladder, you’d need to have more tanks than DPS players.

7 Likes

Huge agree. This game was so much better before role lock. Hope they consider reverting it or tweaking it for OW2.

3 Likes

It depends on what heroes you play, to be honest. I prefer 222 with Dva because, lol, she needs a real tank to do her job for her. Hog? Open queue is fine.

Lucio prefers to move tanks. Zen scales better with dps.

McCree needs team support to survive. 76 don’t care about none of that.

Exciting gameplay like Rein, Zarya, D.Va, Lucio, Ana, and Brig gameplay.
EXCITING.

The rest of you? aka 10 mins wait 2cp brazil server dedgame?
Sure…222 really helped…No thanks. More than enough lockdown IRL I’ll stick with OPEN it’s a higher skillcap anyway. You don’t get better with sluggish TTK and the mistake padded clunk of shields/heals.