Roadhog, what to do?

Didn’t the latest patch make his damage output more consistent and effective except for shield breaking? I played him again a few times this weekend and he felt more consistent if nothing else…

1 Like

His hook seems a bit more consistent, but the rest of his kit is the same.

I mean because of his damage nerf a while ago. I played Hog for a while before the nerfs, and he’s never really been the same.

Most recently they actually NERFED him, which mostly only affects his utility against Reinhardt, Orisa, and sometimes Sym barriers. In effect though, they had to respond with what appears to be a buff to his range against barriers, practically negating the nerf, making him about the same of what he used to be.

2 Likes

Are you referring to this:

“Developer Comments Previously, Roadhog’s Scrap Gun alternate fire didn’t have damage falloff which sometimes made it too powerful against far away targets. To balance out a slight power decrease, especially against barriers, we decided to push his overall weapon’s effective range out bit further before damage falloff begins to take effect. Note: The alternate fire falloff begins from where the scrap projectiles are formed, not from Roadhog’s firing position.
SCRAP GUN
Primary fire falloff range changed from 10-20 meters to 15-30 meters
Alternate fire now has damage falloff, which is the same as the new primary fire falloff (15-30 meters)”

From the sound of it overall he gained a bit of damage ability at in-between ranges despite a loss of shield breaking and far damage…

Fix the hook. I lost the count of people escaping the hook by miracle.
Also give him a little more damage.

Before his right click had no falloff, meaning it was full damage at any range. Left click having falloff at 10-20 meters is barely helpful, as this is about the same range you can effectively nail a target with about 20-50% of the pellets (if you’re incredibly lucky). 10 meters isn’t far enough to matter, and 20 meters is too far for most of the pellets to hit (sub 10% of the pellets hit).

No this is, basically nothing to his utility at all. He effectively gains nothing, and loses nothing.

I guess he loses the RNG chance of winging pharah with a decent amount of right click pellets.

He’s in the same zone right now as Bastion and McCree… everyone knows they need something, but for whatever reason Blizz isn’t taking any action, possibly because they are considering interactions with upcoming heroes 29, etc…

Great idea, more cc.
^^ and that’s coming from a hog player.

I’ve been playing too much Tekken I think, but I think this might make him a bit more survivable, while still making him a threat to the enemy, and allowing his ally teammates to help him kill enemies.

Perhaps Roadhog should snare players for longer with the hook button held down. While the enemy players are snared, he could gain a sort of damage resistance like his healing flask. While snared he cannot fire, but he can move himself and his hooked victim in the same fashion as his normal hook walk. Once released his shot comes out normally.

The time held can be between 0 seconds and N amount of seconds, I’d really suggest upwards of 2. Generally speaking people can react within less than a second, but any sort of helpful gainful position switches take longer than a couple seconds, unless the teammates use a movement ability.

This allows for 2 major things, which would otherwise not be present in the Roadhog gameplay.

1. His teammates can use cover more effectively, and only poke out when it’s time to assist with a pick. Which is something current Roadhog has no application for, unless he snags someone around a corner.
  2. He can have more effective use of his hook, allowing him to tank damage while he’s using it. The hook should still be interruptable and stunnable.

I dunno, just a few rantings on a thought.

What do you think of a tighter spread for his weapons, would that help? The biggest thing I notice is he seems to do weird damage output, it’s either killer, or nothing… no in between to feel like you are hacking at the enemy effectively… he feels like a crap shoot in play.

I really don’t like the idea of a tighter spread. He still suffers from the same problems as the tanks, without any real way to manage them in a similar fashion. He doesn’t deal enough damage to be considered DPS, he doesn’t tank enough damage to be considered tank. Tightening his spread, is only giving more damage to his DPS side, while still making his off-tank job replaceable by the other off tanks in a higher effectiveness.

What he really needs, is something to claim ground, and to stall for time.

So, what’s the fix? Just saying, if you are very familiar with him then I would think you have a distinct feel for it.

More survivability (life/shield/armor), or a team-oriented ability like the other off-tanks (which i suggested hook stall, being a hybrid of claiming space and dps), or some sort of change to the way he functions entirely (rework him into either DPS or Tank specific).

Roadhog main here (with 200+ hours with on console)

I just don’t understand what exactly the point of hog is actually this point. He was DESIGNED to gravely punish anyone who was out of position but now? Eh. Literally in some cases I’ll hook someone and his current damage is so low healers will literally heal RIGHT THROUGH my hook combo… it’s dumb and honestly not very fun.

I only started playing overwatch around season 9, but I seriously have a hard time believing roadhog was EVER op.

Was his hook ridiculous? Yes, but they fixed it. Yet… he’s gone down this path of utter uselessness that is quite sad honestly.

He was ALWAYS a feast or famine hero but in a attempt to boost thar blizzard made him fundamentally worse.

It’s funny, if sym and mercy didn’t garner so much attention on this forum you could say blizzards internal handling/ changing of roadhog has been one of there worst moves ever. (Least to me)

To be honest, I don’t think we will ever see him balanced.

We can’t buff him because DPS mains will cry and spam in this forum.

Probably our best choice would have more tanks, so we could have one tank for each situation.
That’s a really hard issue that blizzard probably doesn’t know how to fix.

Personally, I like the idea of preserving Roadhog in his current job. Giving him damage would return him to police role. Giving him survivability will shove him further into a tank role.

I’d prefer if they just made him more effective at what he currently does. Really get down to the core of what makes him work, and finds a solution that benefits him and his team, without feeling overwhelming to the enemy team.

Tighter spread isn’t a genuine fix, because it’s too much weight in one direction. This is my opinion about tighter spread.

Giving him a passive that reduces ult build up seems like a no brainer and quick bandaid fix…but they can’t even do that. I think the balance people are the type of arrogant folk that like to ignore great ideas if they don’t come up with it themselves.

Do one of these two ideas:

Summarized as either

There are other tanks. He used to be OP and is now balanced. Play another character. Learn to adapt.

Ripped directly from what players tell Mercy mains to do