Resurrect needs to go

From a player who has played a lot of Mercy every season from plat-GM, I think it’s time to remove resurrection. I love her, but I think the ability has a negative effect on the game.

I realized during a game the other day where there was no Mercy on either side (which is probably the first one of those I’ve had this season) how much better the game felt knowing that every kill was meaningful and couldn’t be reversed. It’s calming for me to even think about a game like that. To be clear, I’m not saying that I want resurrect back as an ultimate. I think it’d be best if it was gone entirely.

I think the overly-frequent discussion of balancing between support heroes would be much less heated without resurrection in play. I think it’s the root of the whole problem. The problem with the support scene right is not that any of the supports are under powered. Each of them is best at something; however, none of those things are better than resurrect. Outside of extremely specific compositions, there’s no reason not to have a Mercy on your team. Resurrect makes her a virtual must-pick. I’ll almost never feel free to pick any support other than her unless somebody else is already Mercy.

Mercy would still be a strong pick without resurrection because she’d still be the most consistent healer. I don’t have any suggestions as far as what to replace resurrect with, if anything, but it seems clear to me that it’s a problematic ability. Please consider it, Overwatch team.

9 Likes

Mercy isn’t strong right now because of Ressurect are you kidding me?

It’s because she can damage boost the Hanzo and allow him to go through Transcendence the only counter to his ult. It doesn’t work with ANA because they can either block the Nade and Nano takes too long to charge (also because it’s Ana, she’s pretty easy to kill). It doesn’t work with Zen because Discord is single target. Moira can’t outheal the dragon nor help outdamage the Transcendence.

Ressurect has nothing to do with why she is meta. Sue it’s nice to have, but it’s so slow that if she didn’t have Damage boost then she probably would be swapped for Moira.

The other reason she’s meta is because she’s consistent. Ana can’t heal through barriers, and has to rely on aim, so she’s very inconsistent. Moira’s heal is on a resource bar, meaning she can run out, inconsistent healing. Mercy never runs out, and as mentioned previously has Damage Boost which neither of the other two have.

That is why she’s meta. Removing Ressurect will send her to the shadow realm of boring gameplay. It’s the defining aspect of Mercy “Heroes never die”.

10 Likes

Yes remove the one thing that makes Mercy even slightly fun to play.

2 Likes

Bring back Mercy’s ultimate Resurrection.

8 Likes

This has nothing to do with the current meta. Mercy has been a must-pick for almost every season ever and I think it’s because of resurrect. Grav/dragon wasn’t nearly as common before this season.

2 Likes

I liked resurrect, but when they reworked Mercy and made it an ability it made Mercy really overpowered. In their effort to balance Mercy they lowered her skill-ceiling and made her unengaging to play. For that reason I think Mercy would be better off having some other ability and simply getting rid of Resurrect. I bet a Mercy without resurrect would be more fun to play, because she wouldn’t have statue mode and her kit would probably flow a bit better as well (but they could get rid of Valkyrie too while they are at it if you ask me).

2 Likes

Yes it does and it’s a major reason why Zen (and the snipers for that matter) has been so dominate. With Rez on CD, there’s no weakness to normally vulnerable back-liners as they’ll always just be easily rezzed.

That said, I don’t think Resurrect needs removed, it simply needs to be an ultimate again.

8 Likes

I have plenty of fun with her by keeping my team alive. I enjoy the constant decision-making and zipping around the battlefield that Mercy gets to do. She’d keep that even without resurrect.

1 Like

“The game feels better when X is gone” is just another way of fun policing.

Wanna mention anything else while you’re at it? AOE splash damage? Snipers? One hit kills? Barriers? Stuns?

6 Likes

People hate Rez so much, but why not an ability that allows a hero to not die after hitting 0 HP for like, 3 seconds, and is on a 20 sec cooldown.

Mercy before this was meta because of 2 insta-resurrect true, but that already got nerfed as she only has one that is on a 30 second cooldown with a 1.75 second stun.

Before that Mercy was meta because Ana got nerfed massively and Moira didn’t even exist. Even then you saw Lucio and Zen being picked more. The reason it got changed was because it was seen as bad design for her to stop healing to rez (kinda ironic now that I think about it).

If we’re talking before the Ana nerf, she still wasn’t meta because Ana out classed her healing (with the “I win” grenade), and playing her was suicide simulator.

You are very very late on thee resurrect train. Rez is not the problem.

1 Like

I think it’s different in this case. Her rez dictates the entire flow of the game and it’s something your team is at an absolute disadvantage to be without. Specific mechanics aren’t on the same level as resurrect.

1 Like

Well, I still believe that the main reason is because of damage boost, but I can see where Rez would factor into it.

But let’s say we did remove rez, she would still be meta. Damage boosting Hanzo with Grav is just too strong to give up that main healing spot to anyone else (and because the other healers have their own issues).

That’d be fine with me. Being meta is fine. Defining the flow of the game and being a must-pick on every map is not.

1 Like

I thought being the sitting duck with 70% slower movement was anti-fun ?

Now all of sudden it is fun ?

how about no. res is part of her character her motif is a freaking angel
like it or not res is always gonna be in the game. dont like it? play a different game

3 Likes

It amazes me that there are so many ways to get cheesy kills in this game with little to no effort.

And yet the one way to reverse a death in this kill fest is so OP and destroying the game.

It is literally the job of the healers to sustain a fight. People need to let them do their job and stop complaining.

If kills come easy, healers are going to need some substantial tools to keep up and matter. That’s how balance works.

Mass rez being gone has already resulted in ult spam with no real counter play.

6 Likes

Thanks for your valuable input.

thanks for your valuable thread idea

1 Like

Widow popping heads doesn’t dictate flow?

Zen discord doesn’t dictate flow?

Tank barriers don’t dictate flow?

Getting hacked doesn’t dictate flow?

Dictating the flow of combat is kind of the point of abilities. If they didn’t that hero would have no point in being on a team.

5 Likes