Rammatra's unlock method is completely DISGUSTING

oh no! thats terrible… imagine having to play the game, and level up, to earn something. well at least the options there to just buy the hero for 10 dollars, saves you A LOT of time (2 weeks)

1 Like

Way to go, ignoring the substance and context of the argument just to be condescending. Real mature.

4 Likes

the topic title says its completely DISGUSTING to level up to 55 naturally, to earn the hero, and theres a pay option. most people are upset about the pay option, not the grind.

1 Like

Imagine haing other hobbies, playing other games and not spending all your time in 1 game just to unlock a hero tht shouldve been unlocked for free just like in ow 1

5 Likes

i strongly disagree with buying everything out because you lack time. i stand firm with wanting to EARN everything, and not having to open my wallet. i guess the option is OK, but i know most ppl will just spend 10 dollars and make the hero stale before i ever get to earn it naturally. kind of annoying. you dont have to have everything (though this applies more to cosmetics not heroes)… and you got literally 9 weeks to get to level 55, even if youre a super busy person you should be able to manage that in 9 weeks. also condescending=/=immature. i dont think im immature at all.

1 Like

Yes and if you were willing to comprehend substance and context instead of nit picking to be a condescending you would know that the point isn’t the grind, the point is the monetisation of gameplay mechanics which are directly affected by quick access of purchase.

Effectively forcing the player to pay either out of frustration, not having enough time to play or are constantly being rolled by new mechanics and team set ups that they cannot access otherwise without playing for days just to unlock it.

Again and I have said many times in this thread and I have even posted a solution not too far above your post to “Devils”, the problem is the monetisation of game mechanics which is a net negative for the player.

I have no problem with the monetisation of anything else, just the hero. Thats it. I liked earning cosmetics in OW1 just by getting duplicate coins from what I already have. It was something to work towards and incentivised me to play. Cosmetics however were superficial. They didn’t affect anyone else but me and that was fine.

1 Like

It was funny how in this one article they tried to justify their stupid hero locking bs by saying some stuff like “counter-picking is not gonna be such a big thing anymore so it’s fine (even though we totally just released a hero who counters abilities you have wanted counters for so long lol)”.
We all know the ONLY TRUE reason they are in BP is the moneeeeeeey.

1 Like

lootboxes were the same thing, you had to pay for them if you didnt have a lot of time to earn things. im not sure how this is different. the battlepass is actually cheaper than lootboxes, you could simply pay 10 dollars per season and youd be all good on everything. it usually costed about 40-80 dollars to get everything in a season strictly from purchased lootboxes in ow1. if you dont have time to play, just pay 10 and suck it up. free pass looks like it sucks anyways, locks out prettymuch everything.

I am not saying the time aspect is a strong argument here, I would honestly be ok if the hero was free for everyone but only at 55 and not paid for. I am sure it would suck for a lot of people who don’t have time, at that point it would be a time issue. Perhaps a negotiation of the level point. But monetising game mechanics is a big no for me, its the reason I don’t play mobile games.

Look boxes didn’t alter mechanics though or affect gameplay. My argument isn’t the fact its quick access to X thing - it is part of it out of consideration for those who don’t have time, I do but even then the grind is awful 55 is ridiculous even for me and I am level 81 now, its quick access to game mechanics. Which is dumb. If the hero did nothing to gameplay (which is an oxymoron) then I would have no argument.

apex legends and the competition that use a lootbox system also sell battlepasses to unlock the heroes. someone pointed out that you can earn them naturally, but you really cant, its a huge huge grind and its much easier to pay the 10. i really think blizzard lowered their standards to match up with the industry/competition prices. this isnt blizzard anymore this is activision blizzard. the quality is much lower… they dont only make decisions for the quality of the game, they make decisions on what makes them the most money and what they can get away with, but then put the health of the game as a secondary.

Yes the hero should be free in the game because the style of game that Overwatch is requires you to have all heroes to be competitive. I do not know why they are thinking that copying the LoL method where not everyone has every hero will work because that does not really work in a game with hero swapping.

However, I do wonder one thing: the Premium Battle Pass is already littered with unique legendary skins, and the mythic at 80, so why would one more be the dealbreaker between buy and do not buy?

I have to pay for new heroes/classes in mmorpg’s, why not this game? Be happy Blizz lets you have it for free by playing.

even though ppl say you can earn apex heroes, it seems easier to level to 55 and get this hero free, than to unlock an apex legend naturally. you’re not going to win the arguement when the competition is still doing slightly worse. theyre modeling their business around making themselves the most $$$ its big corporation, they really do not care if you want these heroes free.

It wouldn’t but as Overwatch General Manager Walter Kong has already said;

“Well, heroes are the single most engaging content that we have in the gam. And as we designed this model, it seems to be a very strong fit to put those heros into our new engagement systems”

In other words, reading between the lines here because the statement is very disingenuous, effectively he is saying the very reason you play at all is now going to be monetised because its the thing you do to play the game. Its like having a friend over and telling them that to use a fork they need to pay $10 or run on the spot for 55 miles in order to use it without charge while everyone else eats dinner with their forks because they paid $10.

Its a buearacratic outlook clearly stated by someone who doesn’t play the game or enjoy games at all and instead looks at numbers and only numbers.

It isn’t that its a deal breaker, its just in their eyes they will make more money off the hero than the skins.

1 Like

you have 9 weeks to get to level 55, not that hard if you ask me.

1 Like

Yeah, OW1 was free - oh wait it cost 40 dollars. That’s 4 battle passes. So many entitled gamers nowadays just don’t get it. Then after that it was paid for by loot boxes - also not free. Did they stop teaching critical thinking in school or something?

Why is it all of a sudden that the hero being not paid for is not right and makes me some how entitled?

I am totally fine with all cosmetics; skins, voice lines, emotes, highlight intros being monetised as direct purchases and in fact I argued for that during the lootbox era, I am just not fine with the hero in the battlepass. Yeah so many of us entitled people willing to pay for the right things not the wrong things. I paid for OW1 and I paid for Lootboxes despite my dislike of them but too their credit at least they didn’t alter gameplay interactions or add something new to the gameplay equation.

This does.

4 Likes

TIL “Complete 150 games” (not “win”, “complete”) is “an insane grind”.

LOL.

It’s like a month of playing the game several hours a week.

If you think that’s a grind, you ain’t seen nothing.

I know Blizzard is going to release a broken hero like release Brigette and everyone is going to be mad about it.

mhm its one of the things I am worried about.

I’ve seen it before in other games too. I can already see the cogs turning in blizzard given activisions ideals of “good”.