"probably the TOP thing the designers and I are focused on is barriers..."

Sorry Rein mains. You getting nerfed.

…but seriously…I still feel rein brings too much barrier.

3 Likes

I feel like Rein alone is not the problem.
The flawless and strong synergy with Zarya is so strong.

Edit:
Also, ditto that Battletag. Lol.

1 Like

[brofist]

1 Like

They said they’re focused on making barriers not so reliant. Which they are right now.

If I were to guess they’d probably make hitscans not so strong against comps without a barrier. Possible off tank changes? I dunno. It’ll be interesting, but I don’t think it’ll be a straight rein nerf.

9 Likes

barriers as a concept is very conflicting because they made some tanks without them.
if all had them or none of them had them it wouldn’t be so polarizing and wouldn’t have to split tank players apart from which tank goes with which that much.

also there’s the argument that if you could make barriers less of an issue they could actually balance around it properly if they made “off tanks” be able to have enough value to be on par with barriers.

but right now i don’t know if it’s public perception if that’s the case anymore ever since the barrier nerfs.

3 Likes

Im happy that i quit main tanking
2000 hp barrier tank that was made to protect teammates was what i loved to play.
But that days are gone, and they going to probably make it even more pointless to actualy protect your team. So im happy i play dps in role q now. Would be fat dps anyway if stayed as “tank”

3 Likes

Im kinda surprised there’s more talk about Moira than the possible implications for tanks

They’ve hinted at questioning the purpose of barriers more than once over the past few months, even if only in fleeting rhetorical questions like “should barriers even be in the game?” and I’m willing to bet the issue of “main vs off tank” is being discussed too. Way more than just rein could be changed

Im gonna have my eyes peeled for hints :eye:

1 Like

I hope Rein gets compensation in some form, but firing at anyone’s barrier isn’t all that interesting. I am cautiously optimistic.

Well, just like the queue distribution in-game, more people play support than tank and most tank mains play off tank. So Rein mains are realistically the only people who would care about those implications.

1 Like

Dude… this is off topic but you’re in EVERY thread I look at :sweat_smile:
and I always seem to reply to your posts

I don’t think it’s really polarising because some have it vs some don’t, but moreso that the ttk is so low that barriers, esp high uptime spammable ones like rein’s, become so important to have unless you’re running a hyperaggressive dive comp.

like if ttk wasn’t so low, supports can be balanced to be less heal bots and having 2 offtanks as the tank combo wouldn’t be all that bad. just like in paladins tbh.

but unlike paladins, there’s no global mechanic to deal with heal spam and shield spam in OW. well… there partially is with 2-2-2, but if damage is lowered for higher ttk, then 2 main healers and/or 2 barriers will be a problem again. hence a conundrum in OW. ultimately ttk needs to go back up while still having mechanics that are very available (i.e. not just to a very limited number of heroes) to shield break or prevent main healer spam.

4 Likes

essentially.

but i think the less thought of path is that you’ll just have to play differently if barriers are truly only useful against abilities and isn’t that effective against spam damage or most damage overall.

and since ttk is so low the need for healing is inconsequential as they die quickly anyways.

so it becomes more like a cover shooter and very fast engagements that ends as quickly as they begin.
so all in all a very different game to what it is now.

but they could also make every tank have a form of basic barrier that accounts for a level of spam damage and balance around that so it becomes a part of the role specifics.

i mean every support can heal to some degree, but not every tank can provide a barrier to a degree.

all in all i think there needs to be some generalization to what a tank should be able to provide and “space” is a bit too lose of a term.

That’s not true. People who play tank aren’t the only people affected by tanks. Nor are Reinhardt players the only tank players, despite the forum meme about him being the only real tank.

That’s fine… I just think that is the reason nobody cares. People will start whining once we see the changes, so we just need to be patient. Rofl.

that can’t be it, we haven’t even seen changes and they’re already whining about how blizzard will destroy moira. shrug emoji I guess the knowledge that it’s coming on an experimental card scares people

idk, I feel like the idea that barriers (and probably tanks in general) is likely to be completely changed will significantly alter the way the game plays for quite some time. i couldn’t imagine overwatch feeling “normal” without barriers, so i wonder what ideas they’re considering. to me, barriers being the top focus and asking if they belong doesn’t seem like something they’d say if they just want to nerf their health or charge rates a bit ya know?

1 Like

Why is Rein barrier a problem? Didn’t he have a 2000HP barrier once before and I don’t remember people complaining about it. Seems like stacking barriers is more of an issue. This suggestion solves it better imo

I feel you. I have a feeling the change will be bigger than the support changes, maybe people are just taking it one step at a time. The Moira issue is way more hot button.

I’ll trade 600 HP of barrier for 50% Steadfast, 90 damage hammer and more speed while holding shield.

If you hate the barrier imagine how you’ll hate the Bumper in yo face.

“This is getting out of hand. Now there are two of them!”

While I am very interested in any changes Blizzard may make to barriers, it is hard to comment without any idea of what kind of changes are being considered. It’s also hard to imagine Rein without a massive shield.