šŸ“› POTG discrimination? Where are the cool POTGs for excellent plays by tank players and epic rescues by support players?

The medal system as pretty arbitrary along with PoTG, however PoTG has less of an impact on player behavior than medals. Maybe a rework to medals one day could be a good idea, for the life of me I dont know what theyā€™d do though lol.

I agree with you in that the Medal system encourages bad gameplay though. PoTG I havent seen as much. Mostly just the one player getting the warm and fuzzies and the rest leaving the match because they lived it once real time then again in the kill cam and dont want to relive it a third lol

The times I play tank (D.VA or Rein) I donā€™t feel itā€™s impossible to get PotG, with some supports howeverā€¦ Moira is pretty okay, sheā€™s probably the one I get PotG with most (usually for healing/killing with ult), with Mercy it happens a few time and they are always extremely boring and make me feel bad people have to watch it, and Anaā€¦ just doesnā€™t happen. Ever. Except for three times in arcade.

So yes, some support definitely struggle to get it, and I personally see it mostly go to characters like Hanzo, Genji, Junkrat and Doomfist.

It would be incredibly boring to see yet another Rein PotG where he just holds up his shield and so on.

Then probably game should show 3 POTGs, for each role.

If they add stats/medals tracking for critical damage blocked for damage that would kill teammates otherwise and critical healing applied for the heals that prevent teammate from dying due to damage in next 5 seconds. That stats would be enough for capturing nice tank and support POTGs fo example if tank saved the 4 teammates from dying from D.Va bomb or Support save 3 teammates during the push.

I donā€™t even bother watching Genji, Junkrat and Dva POTGā€™s. Itā€™s usually all the same and all they did was just using their ultimates.

But what kinda annoys me is that I canā€™t play the next match because the POTG of the previous match isnā€™t finished yet, even if I have already left the lobby.

The POTG system is broken. Why am I forced to wait till it is finished before I can play the next match?

1 Like

I think it will devalue POTGs too much and even more players would skip it. Maybe shorten the main POTG and adding some secondary POTGs with cinema-style transition effects may work but still it is not the same.

This does not mean they should allow to skip POTGs this means they should fix the POTGs.

Geoff Goodman: ā€œThereā€™s a plan to do what weā€™re calling Play of the Game 2.0,ā€ he said. ā€œItā€™s been on the books for a little while. Itā€™s just a matter of prioritizing everything. We have a lot of really cool ideas. We want to do a lot with the camera work. We have ideas for cooperative Play of the Games. Because what we have right now, is Zarya could ult, and then Genji gets the credit. And thatā€™s like, ā€˜Come on!ā€™ā€

ā€œSo we want to highlight the combo play itself, to show both,ā€ he added. ā€œThereā€™s some tricky things there, like how do we handle Play of the Game intros, and how do we decide who gets credit.ā€

This could fix a lot of problems. This means that even Ana will be in a spotlight more often.

Unfortunately is this from an interview from 2 years ago and has there not been a single update about it.

Source:

2 Likes

Yeah but if we will not remind them about it here and there everything will stay the same.

Ah that is why such skillful moments are just in every game so much skillful DPS out there and so little skillful tanks and supports

2 Likes

Get kills, get POTG. Get a ton of healing, get POTG. Thatā€™s how the fire system works. And it makes sense.

Iā€™d rather not watch a POTG of a Rein putting up his shield to block a D.Va bomb, that isnā€™t a big play, especially when D.Va bomb is the easiest to dodge. Get that FAT shatter? Heck yeah, youā€™ll get the POTG you deserve. Putting up your shield or healing a low health hero isnā€™t a POTG game-changing super good play IMO.

If Iā€™m being honest, you shouldnā€™t need to be getting POTG just to want to keep playing.

That what typical DPS player think. How about Anna throws bionade just in time to help 4 teammates survive incoming damage? How about Mercy who dancing over the battlefield to dodge enemy fire and still manages to keep teammates alive?

Every role has itā€™s own job in the game but the game encourages only DPS job - killing enemies. And yeah if Rein manages to save his team from flying D.Va bomb it deserves the POTG.

3 Likes

Overwatch has this hidden scoreboard that i assume calculate how much you did in a given time (more or less time of the potg sequence i guess. It unfortunately doesnt seem to be advanced enough to tell that 4 kills that gave you up to 400 fire points were less worthy than a rein that ā€œsaved his teamā€ from d.vas bomb (itā€™s kinda more on them to hide behind rein). Besides, there is that ā€œlife saverā€ type of potg that i assume was meant to give potg for such plays. For whatever reason its super rare and sometimes super weird like i once got life saver for killing mccree that was behind us?? i did nothing more i was just going from spawn and headshoted him as zen.

To be honest the bigger problem is that you can easily get potg with heroes such as genji, torb (a least until his rework), junk, moira or widow (given you have good aim) etc but itā€™s super hard to get potg with sombra, ana or zarya - itā€™s either there was something better or it was stolen from you. You got whole team in the grav to secure winning? cool thing but we will still give that potg to that hanzo and his dragons.

I play tanks too buddy, in fact, Iā€™ve been almost only playing them. Tens of hours on then across all 3 accounts.

Throwing a nade into your team alone shouldnā€™t get you POTG, you should have to heal them and damage enemies.

Blocking a D.Va bomb does not deserve POTG, and I have never thought that on Reinhardt. However, charging it should. Itā€™s just funny.

Itā€™s not a matter of being a DPS player. Kill a lot, you get POTG. Heal a lot, you get POTG.

You act like Iā€™m saying tanks and supports donā€™t deserve it. They do, but not for a weak play like putting up your shield. Using your extremely Guardian Angel mobility to easily not die. Throwing a nade into a team. All of that is simply too easy to reward potg. In fact, I hate watching easy DPS ones. Soldier, Junkrat, Reaper, etcā€¦

1 Like

Does anyone think it would make sense for a vote screen to pop up and people actually vote for who they think is POTG and the winning candidate gets a clip of what they did best?

3 Likes

I have never saw pure healing POTGs maybe they are exist somewhere idk. Throwing nade just in time to rescue the team is hard enough throwing it so it heals and debuffs many targets same time event harder and when this nade allows to repel push or vice versa it deserves the POTG more then Junk tire or D.Va bomb. Same for others if Rein manages to position himself so he could protect team from flying D.Va bomb he has done pretty good tank job.

The problems as I wrote above is that the game tracks killing jobs for POTG and not the others.

Maybe some system where the 3 POTG candidates appear for 4 seconds for vote would work but still the game should track tank and support jobs and not only kills.

it is annoying to have multiple great plays and then watch potg go to someone who pressed q

however, the system is actually pretty close to fair imo and the adjustments need to be on a hero level instead of on a role level

for example, ana needs to be bumped up the list, emp needs to be bumped up the list, etc

Video yes, what I mentioned before that, no. There is a life saver potg.

So why there are tanks and supports if the game encourage DPS plays let all classes be DPS an kill people. Tanks and supports have harder time killing people then DPS they should also do other stuff. Imagine how fun it would be if they didnā€™t distract on saving others and just concentrate on killing the enemies.

3 Likes

They are from DPS, because Blizz never has gotten around to implementing the system that was bandied about where each game an area, say healing, dps or shielding, etc. was pre-selected, and the highest scorer in that area got POTGā€¦ instead we are reduced to mindless Genji ult, Pharah ult, and McCree ults over and over ā€¦