📊 Poll: Should Competitive Open Queue be a permanent mode?

You’re argument is this: I can just flex to something else, ergo it is balanced? The problem is not everyone will play every character, period. Some are going to be inherently stronger, some weaker. I am sorry, but its a specious reasoning here. People never follow the “what’s best” for the better part of the playerbase, they play what they want, even Jeff has repeatedly said all the stats show this.

I am happy you got your wish for Competitive OQ, but I guarantee you it will have less respect by people considering relative skill than RQ represents.

This - and I for one think that its telling that unless it was Korea, the competitive OQ IIRC didn’t fare all that well. This is a test to see what the distributions look like I bet.

Yes. Everyone has the option to learn the “meta” characters, just as they do in the pro-scene.

Would you say OWL Season 2 was uncompetitive because they had to play GOATS?

I’d say no, it was still extremely competitive as they had to learn to play the meta characters at a very high level and synergise.

If they “play what they want” and “what they want” happens to be a weak hero in Open Queue, then yeah they’ll drop in rank.

But in reality, meta only becomes a big determining factor at higher level games like GM+.

With it being less popular in NA than mystery heroes and workshop game modes, yeah I bet they are quaking in their boots at the prospect! It’s so nice that Jeff put some perspective on how many open-queuers there actually are. Not many, but they sure make a lot of noise in the forums.

No one spends hundreds of hours on a character, then just abjectly drops it to follow meta. Sure a few do, the vast, vast majority do not. GOATS is a symptom of why we had to have a system like RQ where an entire role (DPS) was eliminated… do you really want to return to that kind of scenario?

Say what you will, the community on the whole will look at OQ SR as less representative i believe.

And they don’t have to. If they don’t intend to get good at Open Queue, they always have the option to stick with 2-2-2.

Let those of us who do try to get good at Open Queue climb in that rank. Not sure what the issue is.

I personally find GOATS very enjoyable to play, so yes I don’t mind returning to that.

I’ve also never been much of a “meta slave”. Most of the time I just play what I want. I one-tricked Doomfist to Top-500.

As I said, I don’t care what you or the community thinks about my SR number. I find it meaningful.

1 Like

There is no issue; just pointing out the fact the SR with it won’t be as respected. I also say three other thoughts 1) its a sign Blizzard is desperate, and 2) its a move to placate the Korean audience according to the details he gave and 3) a rough solution for queue times.

I’ve already said I agree with you - but “respect” from Role Queue advocates doesn’t matter to me and I think most of us.

1 Like

The mask slips. You do care.

I am not surprised in the least.

Honestly though, Competitive Open Queue is the more skillful mode. More potential combinations to account for.

2 Likes

Why can’t you guys accept that OQ is less representative than 2-2-2 with the SR? I find the egocentricity here alarming… and lets be honest, no is “accounting” for combinations that varied. On the one proponents of OQ say “well its mostly 2-2-2 anyhow” in which case its not that varied, then when its more convenient emphasize that its “more combinations”… :roll_eyes:

More combinations or not, its simply not the best representation of skill when tuning is done for a different mode. Again, were it other way around, where balance was for OQ and not 2-2-2, I would argue the reverse.

Because it’s not, 2-2-2 and SR are totally unrelated.

SR measures player skill relative to others on the ladder.

Obviously SR between different ladders aren’t directly comparable because different ladders have different populations.

You can’t directly compare Korea’s SR to Europe’s SR, or Season 10’s SR to Season 4’s SR, etc.

I’ve had a massive variety of combinations, 1-3-2, 3-3, 2-2-2, 0-4-2, all worked very well in response to what the other team ran, etc.

It measures skill just fine.

1 Like

OQ was here first. We got RQ because people wouldn’t accept they sucked on another role.

SR between two systems where the same pool of characters is used is not equivalent when balancing is done for one system. Period.

I am not arguing against SR within one system, my point which is pretty much irrefutable by anyone who knows game theory will agree that its not a reasonable comparison.

The point on Korea is that’s the driver for this btw.

Yeah, and nor is it equivalent between regions or seasons.

1 Like

OMG… OMG… don’t get hung up on Korea… holy crap. This was a side point about why they are doing it, nothing more.

The circles of constant logic to try to deflect the clear issue of two different comps and their relative value as a measurement are astounding.

Huh

lollllll

what? :joy:

Not sure what you’re saying here. Regions can’t be compared because they have different population sizes, and Seasons for the same reason, and Roles for the same reason.

Its typical though - people keep posing these weird arguments to justify the existence of RQ they don’t like.

Separate role-based SR is good, it no longer means I am winning a game against a team then oh, well that mediocre Tank suddenly turns into a raging DPS and flips the game. Then everyone else sensing it just says to hell with it and flips to their most played character. This was the way OQ basically functioned and will do so going forward.

The number of times I’ve seen “I suck at tank” thrown out for why people wanted separate SRs… And why they shouldn’t have to do it.