Please be kind to Symm mains while their hero is reworked

The changes sound awesome and exciting, but I’m worried I won’t be as good as her as I used to because she’s more aim-dependant (I don’t have good aim). She’ll also do best on teams with good communication, which most teams I end up on, don’t.

But I hope these changes are in soon enough for her to show up in OWL. Sounds very exciting to watch pros play with this.

I don’t know what that means :frowning: I hope it’s nice

Good. I hope she becomes an entirely new hero. Current sym is a troll pick and a detriment in most games.

I don’t know what I can say or do to help my former Indian Tech Supports, but I can drop them a picture my girlfriend drew of our favorite architect!

…Magnificent.

2 Likes

Honestly as a Sym player I thoroughly enjoyed her old kit and I’m definitely not happy with these changes. Look at it logically: now she has a beam that’s TWICE as weak as Moira’s, less turrets with “better” damage (but still broken immediately after any direct hit, including 1 melee), comedically weak Pharah rockets, a painfully nerfed teleporter, and a REGULAR MEI ABILITY as an ult. And she’s not even Symmetra anymore; why not just use this completely new kit on a second Vishkar employee hero who is a rival of hers? Or maybe she gets killed in the lore and a close friend takes her gear and sets out on a grim journey to avenge her? Imagine Reinhardt throwing spears instead of a using shield or Lucio losing his AOE altogether and having to shoot allies to heal or speed boost them. It’s not even a rework- it’s a careless and poorly thought out replacement. Even if this new “character” is well-received and does everything the team at Blizzard wants, it’s still a hard loss for those of use who actually enjoy the REAL characters who were meant to be a part of this game. To any non-Symmetra players out there who think this nerf is “NEW” and “EXCITING”, congratulations. But just think on this before you rejoice: What if this happened to your favorite hero?

5 Likes

To be honest, she kind of needed it.

My main beef with Symmetra was simply that she wasn’t any fun. She was frustrating to play against, and not particularly fun to play as. Some of that could be chalked up to bad sound design (her gun doesn’t really sound like it deals any kind of damage), but her primary weapon never was very satisfying to use…outside of the odd flanking attack where you manage to microwave their whole team.

I’m also glad that her ultimate buildings are gone; Blizzard never could get them to work just the way they wanted, and dealing with them was a chore without a coordinated team.

I can’t wait for the changes; I’ve always wanted to pick Symmetra up because I like her character, but I never particularly enjoyed playing as her.

Yeah about that, if you play Sombra sometime it stays locked on you a little while, same if you play Tracer, or you go behind a wall, or jump down

It happens to any hero. I’ve 1v1’d Symmetra’s before as Symmetra and will still get killed if I try to go around a wall

well I just wonder what does this turret change mean, can you launch your turret behind opponent and stun him/her in place ?
( they said turrets are twice as powerful, and turrets slow you currently )

She definitely needed some adjustments - i am not denying that at all. I don’t think a lot of people can really argue that - I’ve only met one person so far who thought that Symmetra is perfectly fine the way she is now.

I think it’s just unfair to kind of chastise or tell people, “No, you’re wrong for feeling how you feel. This is a good thing for her and you have no reason to feel frustrated or concerned” :frowning:

The teleporter change fascinates me. I think that’s the thing that’s really going to change the dive meta.

Dive is meta not because all the heroes are wildly overpowered like the forums like to say, but because of its ability to quickly claim and dominate high ground. Dive comps lose hard to things like Rein/Zarya comps in open brawls, which is why we don’t really see dive unless the map geometry allows it.

Symmetra’s teleporter totally changes that dynamic. If you can circumvent the mobility disadvantage that Reinhardt has, then dive comps will be less attractive because you’ll be able put a Reinhardt comp with all its raw power on the high ground anyway and won’t need the mobility as much.

Of course, this is dependent on what limitations the teleport ability has, but it’s interesting to talk about.

I do wish people were more understanding of this sort of thing, and not every discussion ending up in “this needs to happen deal with it” or “learn to play a different hero” or quoting statistics because it’s not your place to dictate how people have fun in a game and fun isn’t something to ignore because of balance.

1 Like

What are you talking about? Moira’s is 50 dps. Symm’s is 65 dps that SCALES.

Also this post in general is ridiculous. You don’t expect peace and love when a dps gets changed why are you expecting the same for symmetra?

1 Like

That’s fair. Changes will always need a period of adjustment, especially ones as major as this.

But at the same time, I also feel like it’s unfair to call something bad or a mistake simply because there was a change. I think they should reserve judgment until the changes are finalized and hit live servers before deciding whether or not they’re a bad thing.

Besides, it’s also better to be optimistic about it instead of complaining, especially without first-hand knowledge of how the changes affect Symmetra.

I play d.va the the character of many changes all i have to say is they should stop complaining and just go with the flow i always find it fun when a character changes👍

Not everyone agrees to gung-ho radical character reworks. I had over 650 hours of D.Va experience before she was reworked last September. I had to unlearn old ability timings, old strategies, deal with the frustration of not being able to stop ultimates nearly as well, and even let go of old hero synergies (goodbye D.Cree, you were too epic). I had to learn to deal with D.Va’s widened downtime windows in her abilities, and learn to accept and love her new (and to me, stupid) fly+shoot+missile+melee combo. I had to adapt to a newfound 3rd cooldown to manage (whereas D.Va only had two for a whole year after her first DM rework). It took me three months to become as good with her as I once was. On top of dealing with those growing pains for the first week after the rework, I remember dealing with the occasional vocal troll who was all too happy to berate me over allchat for being such a pushover on D.Va, despite all my hours on her. Seven months later, I still find myself longing for the older D.Va kit and would still trade in her missiles for a longer DM so I can better tank again.

All said, you have my sympathy, old Symmetra mains. Love the rework or hate it, I hope you find enjoyment in her new kit, and not find yourselves having to put up with your own recreation of the Mercy Rework disaster. I’m sure we’ll be finding ourselves with a very divided Symmetra community in the coming weeks.

Edit: grammar

3 Likes

It’s… a lot of proposed changes (though I know it’s all up in the air and not even close to being confirmed). As someone who struggles with hand-eye coordination and aiming, Symm was really a boon when I first got Overwatch so I could have fun with my friends and contribute without needing to be the best tracker. I’ve never seen a major rework go live before (I joined after the Mercy change) so I’m really apprehensive about the fact they’re changing every single one of her abilities. I hope she’ll feel fun, when it’s done. I hate Zarya’s beam (it feels like I can’t tell whether or not I’m doing damage) so the idea of her primary fire changing to that is a really big concern. Thank you for the nice thread! It’s a nice spot of brightness in this forum.

The turrets won’t out right stun, though they’ll slow more ,and I’m betting they’ll have double the DPS.

stares in Mercy

Well let us wait what Blizzard comes up with. Maybe you will enjoy the rework after all? Anyway good luck and have fun testing the changes.

2 Likes

sigh They will never understand the pain we all went through! :frowning:

1 Like