Plat Chat discussing why people on ladder dislike Genji

cry about it. you seem super concerned about this post so ill let you have it.

2 Likes

That whole conversation felt really strange. They are (mostly) plat/diamond players who watch beyond Top 500 players play a hero that dominates in every level of overwatch. Then they say ‘well the skill ceiling is just high so it’s annoying because at low levels you can’t punish high skill mobility’. Which to me is contradictory. How can a character dominate in both gold and in OWL but still have a ‘high skill ceiling’? isn’t that a sign of the complete opposite? Like if you watch OWL most of the post genji buff games have come down to which team gets the most dragon blade kills (they don’t even use nano). Then the other team has to either burn all of their ults to stop it or just die fast and regroup.

Also ‘high skill mobility’ is a funny statement for genji because his mobility is his two passives. His double jump (press jump twice is now high skill) and wall climb (something that just happens with no player input). Isn’t one of the biggest strengths of Pharah come from the basic premise of it’s easier to shoot down than up? and with Genji you have permanent passive high group and a constantly shifting/rotating hit box. Something no other character has.

7 Likes

That’s only part of it. An annoying part, but every character in the game has something annoying about them. It’s easy to hate them all if they’re in every single game.

And that’s the crux of the issue. Balanced or OP, if you see him in every game, you just get sick of him. In the time I’ve played this game, I’ve probably faced Genji more than any other dps. It also doesn’t help that his players are the ones you notice being toxic/purposefully annoying. His reputation is bad, his players’ reputation is bad, his kit is boring to play against.

Tracer is annoying, too, but I only see her every once in awhile, and her kit leads to some cool moments, so I kind of enjoy playing against her.

Long story short, I think there’s a calculation between how annoying a character is and how often you want to see them in a game. Like if Bastion got massively buffed and was in as many games as Genji, that would be a nightmare. Genji is on the mid-high side of annoying-ness, and the extreme high side of pick rate(in my games), so he’s easy to hate.

4 Likes

And you cry about people crying LOL

2 Likes

Not sure that posting an OWL podcast would do much on here seeing how disconnected the two sub-communities are. People want to talk about echo chambers re:PlatChat/OWL fans in this thread but are actively participating in the forum echo chamber, both communities not at all being representative of the people who actually play the game.

They were talking about Genji mains who haven’t been able to climb because the meta wasn’t favourable to them, so they either swapped off or stuck to Genji and stagnated/dropped ranks. Nothing to do with smurfs

3 Likes

Genji isnt actually a problem in lower ranks as much as he is in high ranks. Hes probably the first dps to brake the 8% pickrate mark in GM and surpass Rein for third most picked hero overall and all that while mentaining a pretty high winrate to boot despite mirror matches.

People dont “hate” Genji, they hate the devs favoritism of buffing an average performing hero into the meta while leaving other heroes which actually need help in the dust. Genji didnt need a buff. They confirmed that themselves in January.

This is less about Genji as a hero, but more so about the devs not really balancing the game, but dictating which heroes are dominating on purpose, which they said they didnt want to do. A lot of backlash gets directed at Genji players who handle the situation pretty delusional and claim hes only just “playable” now.

8 Likes

Well those fast dashes, wall climbs and double jumps aren’t hard to execute, so they do offer a very clear advantage. It can be hard to combine all that with being accurate and securing kills for sure, but then if you’re evading then you’re buying more time to make up for that, and still causing the same frustration and distraction even if you’re not securing a kill. And unlike Tracer, you have full 3D space to move in, especially on more enclosed maps.

Like someone else pointed out, they aren’t talking about smurfs but people who just stick to playing Genji even when he was bad and either stagnated or fell to a lower rank.

2 of them literally call him out on that and corrects him, while the 3rd is stuffing his face with food, so much for your echo chamber

Again a point that’s being discussed and questioned.

It helps if you have some basic listening comprehension when listening to a podcast.

1 Like

An echo chamber is an environment in which you will only encounter agreement. The forums are full of disagreement, they may or may not be a proper representation of the people who play the game, but they are not an echo chamber.

Most people are going to climb if the only hero they play’s power is increased significantly, 4 buffs were given to a middle of the pack DPS, while there are still complete actual throw picks on the roster that go ignored for huge periods of time.

It is easier to climb on an over tuned hero than it is on an average one. An average performing hero is one that’s balanced, they don’t need buffs - the heroes that are greatly out performing the average need looking at. Otherwise you end up with Powercreep.

2 Likes

They literally mock Zen mains who’ve dropped because he fell out of favour… when the same thing will happen to Genjis.

There’s a whole meme about Boosted Support Mains, but somehow that doesn’t apply to Genji players?

6 Likes

What? They are talking about Genjis who dropped for the same reason. Sure they joked about Zen but stop taking light hearted jokes so seriously…

They clearly dont look for balance. They look for what they enjoy watching and then argue in favor of their own bias even if it comes off as hypocritical.

Yeah, and I cannot think of a single hero who’s received buffs that suddenly became drastically that much harder to play against, other than maybe Bastion.

And these same people lost their stuff so much harder at Sombra buffs, which had nowhere near the same impact.

4 Likes

I honestly don’t think the upvotes and views are accurate.

The buffs didn’t really change him in regards of how he plays, if you had trouble with Genji before you’ll have them now, there are some changes which I disagree with like cancelling deflect but he’s not harder to play against.

Bastion could tank other ults while just sitting their and spamming. The things that usually would kill him. That’s not what happened to Genji.

The reduced spread on RMB has changed a lot how I’ve observed him being played. His faster TTK obviously gives you less opportunity to fight back.

Bastion was still beatable though, it just made the game incredibly tedious while you unpicked it. You still get games like that when team mates just aren’t cooperating or coordinating, but those are the games where you’d solo ult him and losing that option obviously bad.

1 Like

He’s more aggressive but that’s how he used to play back when he was relevant which was like 20 seasons ago, the thing you talked about earlier already happened to Genji mains and it took way longer for him to actually be good in the midfight and not just be a blade bot.

Well Genji is still beatable so I guess we don’t need to change him if we are to follow you logic moving forward?

It did, and now it swung way too far the other way. Genji was not as bad as some other heroes are now, heroes that wouldn’t be considered for such strong buffs, and were harshly nerfed off the back of being deemed to be “overbuffed” even when their stats barely reached where Genji was.

Except Bastion was deemed necessary to change.

Forgive me if the memory’s failing me, but I don’t remember Genji being a hyper mobile tank buster back then. Both Hog and D.Va used to be more deadly during the first three seasons even and that didn’t stop Genji from being such a popular pick either.

Meanwhile Symmetra, Pharah, the controversial child Bastion, Reaper, Soldier, Junkrat and Torb still remain unoptimal, outdated and forgotten compared to other DPS heroes like Genji and McCree. The damage creep exists but is obviously not evenly distributed and these 4 straight buffs have just made the situation worse.

Who cares? Both are average at best lol. Mccree is STILL being played so much, and his winrate is absolute garbage, again. His winrate wasn’t even good when people were calling him “OP.”