Petition to make profiles public again

What in the world makes you think this is correct? On what exactly are you basing this ?

If you want to know something, ask them, you have text chat and voice chat after all.

Also if a player picks Zarya for example, how does knowing their playing history in any way help the team?

Except that person could have an alt account where they’ve put in 20+ hours on zen. Chill.

You miss the point entirely lol. I’d rather have people profiles public for enemies as for the own team, because your own team is the one who is toxic for hero choices and stat shaming lol

1 Like

That’s rich coming from someone who is posting from his alt account on forums. Kindly GTFO. Hypocrisy is strong with this one.

Lets not actually…

Agreed

all I know is that since private profiles became a thing, I’ve seen many more obvious smurfs in my games

QP matchmaking can quite literally be GMs vs. Silvers and you’d never know it, because of course everyone has private profiles

Players can derank and troll without fear, because when they decide to tryhard, their shameful activities are hidden

also, you’ve no reliable way to know how to build a strong team comp based on what people play most and are good at. “Try asking them” you say? Yes because people always answer honestly, if they answer at all

by the time you find out that the guy who told you he’s a McCree main can’t hit a Reinhardt shield, it’s too late

2 Likes

If you think your team is all about lying to you, what makes you think a public profile will make them more cooperative?

If I was going to lie to you, I sure as hell ain’t going to listen to you.

2 Likes

“Gold border Gold rank, how is that even possible. Do you play with ur monitor on?”

This is why people keep their profiles locked…

Because people like you don’t get it. Level does not equate to skill

1 Like

This is the argument I don’t understand on the private profile issue…if you want to build a strong team comp and you ask someone do you play X hero and say they say No or don’t answer…I would take that to mean they don’t want to and are not going to play that hero…how does being able to see their history change that…theyr’e still going to play whatever they were going to play in the first place?

lets say you could see his profile and you can see he has no time on McCree…what does it change, he still “can’t hit a Reinhardt shield” as you put it

2 Likes

Don’t know if the OP knows this but Jeff has already stated why he implemented private profiles. To summarise it, he felt as though certain players were continuously abusing the information given to them by career profiles. It was done to reduce this misuse of information.

Who to blame?

Those who constantly stalk people’s profile to get them to play certain heroes that they like. Also, those who bully players with profile statistics. E.g: “Our sombra has a 40% winrate. GG”.

5 Likes

I can say the same about your public one. Just because you have x time on x hero, I’m not going to immediately assume you’re a God on said hero. Winrate really only tells us how often you won on that hero, not how well you did on them. Since, you know, a boosted player can have positive winrates too.

Also: petitions are pretty much against the forum’s guidelines last I recall.

1 Like

If they will make “full” SR clear/refresh that cleans all stats and mmr from qp and comp like as new account, then I will agree, that public profile is needed.

This is what…the fifth petition this week? And each one people have told you why it exists…Reposting isn’t going to change the argument…or the reasons why they put it in to begin with…

It’s not happening people

I’ve never understood why stat stalkers don’t understand this.
Winrate doesn’t take into context how well you did on the hero just that you lost.
You could have lost playing 4v6.

I mean I guess I could swap to torb when we are down 1 or 2 players, and be a stat padder.

But if I am still trying to win, chances are I’m going to play my strongest hero to try to win.

1 Like

Time played =/= skill

Regardless of whether you can see someone’s profile, “assess and adapt” is the correct play. This is a core teamwork skill, but teamwork skills, in general, are very hard to learn.

You’re really not going to understand a teammate by looking at their profile. It might seem that way, but it’s not super useful information. It’s not going to tell you how they play the hero. It’s not going to tell you how balance impacted their performance. You’re much better off developing the skills to intuit what your teammates are trying to accomplish and trying to make plays off that.

Rein play is actually a pretty good example. Unless you play him perfectly, which no one does, the aggro vs defense balance is going to vary across players. They may all play him just as well, in terms of average win rate, but style matters quite a bit. You have to adapt to it. You kind of need to follow your teammate’s leads, even if you don’t agree with a play, because coordination usually trumps strategy. Of course, you also need to know who to coordinate with, when to abandon a player, etc.

Again, teamwork is really hard to learn, especially in a video game setting where teams exist briefly and everyone is kind of in their own little world behind a monitor. I tend to think forming preconceptions from a player’s profile hinders teamwork more than it helps. Food for thought.

3 Likes

I agree with private profiles.

I have a solution for you though: Preferred roles, or something of a similar sort.

Label your account as a dps main. Maybe go so far as to label your preferred heroes, it would be like how it used to be, an easy mouseover tells you what they like to play.

But that makes too much sense, and we all know blizzard are anything but sensical or could even be bothered to code something we need.

My delusional friend you are not really flying, you are just hurdling through the air. :rofl:

I thought this was going to be a nice discussion about how players in comp and suggest hero picks based on what you play.
What you describe is something you should report and move on from. You could suggest a private profile border as well.