People should be allowed to avoid private profiles en masse

Out of curiosity, if their profiles are private then how do you know they are Mercy players?

It is highly likely, I donā€™t determine whether or not they play well before the match starts. Read what you quoted.

well, either way, yikes

Overbuff if I feel it is necessary to use in that match.

I did

always good to have a scapegoat arranged in advance of need, helps ensure you can shift the blame if there is any

Yeah ā€¦ like i said before, i get what you are saying but really really really depends on your experience with the tool.
I play in EU ā€¦ let that sink for a moment.
ā€¦
ā€¦
I have to put there, No Private Profiles, ENG , VC req, 2 Flex , Hitscan needed.

Only 3 players needed ā€¦ easy right? Like you said, right click, talk a bit ā€¦ etc.
19 Mate. Nine teen players to find someone to fill ONE SLOT. Most of them either had Private Profile, didnt know what it was, or didnt even use VC (i dont talk, i can listen etc). It was around 34 minutes total and we ended up playing 4 premade.

With a filter, it would have been closer to 10-15mins max.

PS: I dont use LFG anymore but if they patch that, i will give it a go again.

Given how long profiles have been private, Overbuff probably isnā€™t a very accurate or useful source. By this point someone with 100 hours on Mercy could have played 100 hours on Widow and Overbuff wouldnā€™t show that.

So as an ex-Mercy main I canā€™t play anything other than her or Iā€™m highly likely throwing? Thatā€™s some odd logic since not all Mercy players are the same and many have mechanical skill that Mercy players are often accused of not havingā€¦ I suppose all that time I played DVA alongside Mercy back before I dropped her was me highly likely throwing then?

IT ISNā€™T ARRANGED, I am keeping an eye on that playerā€™s play a bit more than others, since they are more likely to after playing a zero-aim hero for a long time to underperform on widow. Thatā€™s identifying problems, not scapegoating. I do not shift blame onto the player if they are playing decently well, but if they are quite underperforming it is their fault.

Funny enough, Iā€™ve heard the opposite argument while my profile is completely public, because I donā€™t shive a git.

I want those diamonds and masters to know they got rolled by a low gold one trick.

1 Like

I donā€™t just look at the top bar. Iā€™d obviously take into account your whole profile (I do understand some people are stupid and donā€™t do this, but this is just for me). For example, I have 150+ hours on Lucio, but 70 hours on Genji and 50 on Pharah. If you were a onetrick, play some qp and get the hours up on a hero you are trying to learn.

As a Mercy main I agree completely. People who use the private profile are selfish and act in a manner counter productive to working as a team. People need to know I play mostly Mercy, Dva, and Tracer. Why? So we can build a comp where I am playing one of these 3.
Oh but just ask them for their most played I hear you say. I do, but they can lie and I would have no way of knowing for certain.
Listen if I pick Genji, or really any DPS (my tracer gameplay is essentially QP exclusively, which is where you should go if you feel like playing something other than what you are good with fellow mercy mains rather than hiding behind a private profile) I am throwing for the team. I absolutely do not play Genji or other DPS at a plat level. Private profiles would allow me to throw without any indication of it.

EDIT: I have no issue with private profiles in a non competetive setting, but why it is allowed in comp baffles me to no end. Use it QP and Arcade all you want. These modes are there for you to do whatever you want without the man focus being to win.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly. Itā€™s my OW profile not my p*rn browsing history.

I donā€™t give a s**t, in any game mode, what some random person over the internet says to me about what I do in a fā€™ing videogame. Itā€™s got zero impact on my life when hit ā€œExit To Desktopā€

2 Likes

But HOW do you do that? If I am on Widowmaker, the only time anyone can actually see me is when they are dead, and that is usually when I hear complaints. They are like watching me in third-person mode and that somehow means I am doing bad? I have no idea how they get it in their head that they can gauge my performance. I get accused of not landing shots while I have all golds. Likeā€¦ If it were true, I am not sure what the entire team is doing where I can just chill with golds while not helping. 50% accuracy is about my average which is decent for a platinum console player, I would say. It gives me top performance in the lobby. But it is never good enough unless I light up the killfeed with 3 or more in a row.

I actually remember getting a PotG where I hit someone in the head, everyone on the team was like ā€œnice!ā€ and I hit someone else in the head twice (it was a tank), and they were really positive about it. I missed a shot and they instantly shut up as though I was the worst player in the world, and I cleaned up the kill with a bodyshot and they went from ā€œour Widow was amazingā€ to ā€œnot the worst Widow.ā€

Widowmaker is scapegoated constantly if she does not literally wipe teams constantly. You can carry, but it is never good enough unless you are a GM smurf carrying their worthless weight for them.

And if you want to stop being a Mercy main and put those new skills you developed to use? I faced months of harassment putting Mercy behind me because people insisted they knew my skills better than me because of an out of context glance at my profile.

The decision of who people play is ultimately down to each player. Itā€™s no oneā€™s right to shoehorn me into playing Mercy forever.

1 Like

A mercy main who wants to try McCree (or become a McCree main) will simply move to the rank they they should be. Donā€™t worry about it.

Kill feed, positioning, etc.

Anyone that focuses on their teammates only when they are dead is a bad player. And sometimes people are wrong to criticize, in which case you can probably site examples of you doing well.

So donā€™t play mercy anymore. I got flak for playing Dva initially due to my Mercy hours. I did not worry and cry about it though because I waited until the start of a season to do it. This way I would get placed according to where I belonged with Dva, and move up from there. Now I can play both without any issue because my profile backs me.
Just stop being sensitive, and magically the need for private profiles disappears.

hereā€™s an idea for you

concern yourself with your own play, rather than trying to micromanage that of others

5 Likes

Indeed, I can. Because if I am performing poorly on Widowmaker, nobody is even going to notice as I switch relatively early if I can tell something is off. In fact, most of the games where I grind it out because I believe I can turn it around if I find my groove, no one complains about me throwing despite the fact that I am literally not doing anything until I find my jive. So most of the complaints I get are completely unfounded and boy oh boy do I get a lot of them. And when the complaint would be valid, nobody says anything. It is almost as though they just, at will, decide to scapegoat the Widow as the only times I do not swap off of her despite doing poorly is when my team is winning. Nobody complains about a Widow when they are winningā€¦ Unless you are trying to turn around a loss. But that is just because they are still salty from being behind. Unfortunately, sometimes ā€œbehindā€ means losing the first teamfight and going on to sweep. They never get the memo to stop being toxic.

I am not saying you are one of those people; however, at the same time, from seeing so many people just scapegoating Widow, most of them without any time on her whatsoever, I feel my assumptions about you are safe.