Penalties for your WIFI

It’s so stupid how you get banned for 8 hours and lose sr because your WiFi randomly goes off and there is nothing you can do about it!!! I don’t get how your WiFi determines your skill. You pay for a game that you can’t enjoy because of something out of your control I can understand if you are been toxic but then you get repoted. I’m probably going to quit this game because of how much of a mess comp isis. So overwatch need to fix up because I have friends that have quit for the same reason

1 Like

but you pay for internet that you cant enjoy? Are you making topics over on your internet provider about how their crappy wifi always goes out while you are gaming?

let me guess your parents are actually the ones paying for internet and your crappy wifi. Usually people who pay for their own internet know wifi is not dependable so they hard wire.

6 Likes

get better internet…

5 Likes

Because you cannot tell the difference between “Crappy Wifi” and someone Unplugging there router.

If you have Crappy connection, either pay for better internet, or dont play a game that causes you to get banned (Which would only happen after SEVERAL leaves) for crappy internet.

5 Likes

Move out of your mom’s house, get your own place and connect via ethernet. Simple solution.

4 Likes

Depending on your area you could also try using a hotspot from your mobile phone.

I have AT&T and I use my hotspot to play just about everything. Sure I only get 10 GB a month but that’s more than enough if I’m not doing downloads/uploads/updates and I find it usually runs way better than the home WiFi.

Wireless technology is known for its unreliability and latency. Use a wired connection or at least get a better router and maybe an extender if you can’t use a Cat5+ cable - or stop ruining games for your teammates and stay out of competitive mode.

I feel you OP greatly here…just this past week I’ve been getting disconnected like no other and ONLY FROM COMP. I’ve played this game for over 2 years now and have not had a single disconnect in the middle of my game - yes i’ve witnessed others leaving, but never happened to myself. I’m now going on my 5th loss from this weekend from disconnecting and it’s literally only on comp.
My internet doesn’t go out, but rather blizzard disconnects and fails at logging back in after 5-10 minutes. I’m not sure what’s up, but it’s very frustrating and definitely not doing it on purpose. I literally played 5 quickplay games in a row with no DC before trying comp and right before the 1st round ended…my internet cut out and couldn’t rejoin. I’ve never gotten any type of warning before and now I have a -75% exp icon and message saying not to leave another game or a penalty will be enforced. So yes, if I get banned on that account and can’t play simply because the blizzard client is bugging and not connecting, blizzard will be hearing my two cents.

2 Likes

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

WARNING!

If you are at the 8 hour ban that means you have left multiple games already and risk getting a season ban if you continue to leave games. A season ban will disqualify your season results and lose all end-of-season rewards and you will be one step closer to a permanent ban from Competitive Play. Suspensions and bans from Competitive Play CANNOT be appealed. If you are disconnecting frequently, AVOID playing Competitive Play.

Remember if you see the message, “Lost Connection to the Server” in the title screen or the message “Failed to Connect to Server” in yellow text in the text chat box, this means there is something that disrupted your connection to the game server and not a problem with the game server itself. There can be a variety of reasons this happens including those that don’t disconnect your computer from the Internet. There is great troubleshooting to start with that can most likely resolve most issues and I encourage you to check them out here:

6 Likes

check your router, and wireless adapter

I’m doing a clean reinstall of windows tonight…about the only thing that it’s boggled down too now :frowning:
No issues with any other game mode except for competitive and just started Friday night. I received a 10 minute suspension, a note saying -75% exp, and not to leave another game or penalty will occur.

Wait, people seriously play comp over WiFi? I wouldn’t do that on an account I cared about even with a $400 router.

2 Likes

You are in full control over your ISP. If you wana play a competitive game you should be directly connected not wirelessly.

Why keep playing comp after their Wi-Fi disconnects them? Reconnecting a minute later doesn’t mean it won’t disconnect again, just take a break.

Have you tested your connection route yet? A WinMTR test is the next best option if you already did all steps in the guide I linked. Please be sure to start a new topic in the technical support forum and post the results there if you need help reviewing them.

1 Like

If you play on wifi, make sure you have a decent router, that has 5ghz wifi band, use it, much better than 2.4ghz. Netgear and Asus router are decent.

It’s not out of your control, you can get better/more reliable internet, also this obviously isn’t just a one off thing, since you’ve gotten up to an 8 hour suspension from ranked.

1 Like

You should not be queuing into comp without a reliable connection. Other modes have a backfill system so that people who may disconnect for ANY reason can still play the game. If you subject your teammates to playing 5v6 (again, for ANY reason), there are consequences for you just the same as for them.

In fact, the consequences for the leaver should be harsher so people who may disconnect (for ANY reason) understand that comp mode isn’t for them, but plenty of other modes are.

I hate people like you! “Oh I just got disconnected, it’s not my fault”. Recieving a 8 hour suspension means you disconnected from multiple games. Get better internet and play Ethernet. It is your fault because you can choose to stay out of comp. you are constantly ruining games for other player and it’s good that you are getting punished. Just stay away from come dude seriously. That’s what I did when I had random computer shut offs.

If you got banned for 8 hours, then this isn’t the first time this has happened. Fix your internet.

2 Likes