Paladins (Furia) inspired changes to Valkyrie

Disclaimer: Overwatch and Paladins are very different and amazing games. This is a place for calm and respectful discussion. Please leave if you’re here to rant or be hateful in any way.

The linked video above should explain Furia’s abilities if you are unfamiliar with her.

Furia is a healer in Paladins that has some similarities to Mercy, including her hero design and abilities. However, Furia is an Angel of Vengeance, while Mercy is a Doctor and a pacifist, Furia is also more offensive than Mercy.

Furia was released this year. I personally think she was a hint at Blizzard saying “This is how Mercy should have been changed” in response to Mercy’s rework. Furia even says “Show them no Mercy!” when she uses her Ultimate ability.

Furia becomes invulnerable to damage when she initially activates her Ultimate, similar to Mercy’s old invulnerability during rez. She then gives herself and teammates around her increased damage and speed buffs for 8 seconds while still being able to use all her normal abilities.

Valkyrie could be changed to work in a similar way to this. Here are my proposed changes for Mercy:

Valkyrie:
-No longer gives Mercy free movement (flight)
-No longer grants Mercy chained beams
-No longer grants Mercy increased beam and GA range.
-No longer makes Mercy’s health regen uninterruptible.
-Duration reduced to 8 seconds
-Within a decent radius around Mercy, Mercy and her allies are now granted 20% increased damage, 30% increased movement speed and 30hps for the duration of Valkyrie. (If Mercy takes no damage, her passive regen will stack with this 30hps)
-Mercy gains 2 seconds of invulnerability as she activates Valkyrie. (The effects and duration of Valkyrie will start after these 2 seconds, Mercy won’t be able to use Resurrect during this time)

Angelic Descent:
-Mercy can now also double jump to boost herself into the air on an 8 or 10-second cooldown. (This would replace Mercy’s super jump bug, and make up for removing free movement in Valkyrie)

Resurrect:
-Allies are now resurrected at 50% health
-Cooldown removed. Now requires a resource to use. (similar to Torbjorn’s old scrap)
-During Valkyrie, allies are resurrected at full health. Activating valkyrie grants Mercy a small about of resources to use Rez (Resources could be generated more quickly over time during Valkyrie instead)

These changes would make Valkyrie a more skill-based ultimate to use. As it would give Mercy many options in ways she can use it. Mercy would still be able to use her healing and damage boost beams to increase the healing and damage boost of a single target while still giving lower healing and damage boost to other teammates during Valkyrie. This would make Valkyrie as powerful as Nano boost and Coalescence, also with the same duration (8 seconds). The changes to Rez and Angelic Descent would balance her with this version of Valkyrie.

I’m not an expert at hero balance, but I don’t think these changes would be OP. I could be wrong.

Please feel free to say your opinion on these ideas, or give any suggestions that you think would be good. Please also remember to be calm and respectful with your posts.

1 Like

I love Paladins but reading your logic applied I’m less seeing the connection, I get where you come from and my main problem agreeing with such changes is testing, if I can test these to have an opinion, good. Without testing I really can’t tell if it’s going to be fun honestly. Could be, could not be.
And again Mercy mains want fun playing. Just like any Sombra mains want to have fun playing, any Symmetra mains, anyone !

Furia is a way more aggressive healer indeed, and that also goes outside of her ult, her skill are made for her to be able to fight, heal, cc the enemy with some ease, in a way, I think Furia feels more like Brigitte but with more skill required as aiming is more necessary than Brigitte in her offensive actions.

2 Likes

I want no ideas or even vague thoughts from anything that HiRez ever touches. Studio is pure miasma, they’ll throw their current pile of trash under the bus the moment it stumbles just like they do with their other clone shovelware

Maybe if they ride enough corpses down hills, they can eventually save up enough money to buy another PC classic, destroy it and then sit on the license like with Tribes.

This is exactly what I kindly asked people not to do.

2 Likes

i would be all for it.

If not for the fact that the last time ow took something from paladins it made hanzo broken op.

Storm arrows and lunge is a way better version of shalins planted and withdraw

Not to mention that currently rn furia is one of the best supps and op.

Shes an off support with a better main healing talent than one of the other healers ultimates that is on a rather short CD due to the fact it can make someone immortal even against 90% antiheal.

I love paladins, i find the game design and balance better than ow ever will have. However, paladins is designed very very differently from ow.

ow Heroes even if their numbers were adjusted would all be garbage in paladins, no matter what or who you are.

Paladins champions even if their numbers were adjusted would be more broken than s4 bastion in ow.

Almost every single support can defend themselves better than brig, all have self sustain, mobility, damage, most have cc that would make brig look like tiny knockback.

Furias laser beam that does better healing than an ultimate with a specific talent also stuns any enemies hit for at least 1s, but can be increased to like 2s with a loadout card. This laser if not with the damage laser talent also pierces enemies, not to mention goes through walls, and with the talent stays on the enemy it first hits doing more damage.

This ability alone would make her broken in ow.

1 Like

Blizzard has shown an overall dislike for resource meters outside of the ones built like Dva’s and Moira’s. EveeA’s suggestion also featured a resource meter attached to Resurrect and said suggestion was ignored until it was lost in the shuffle of the forums. In addition, reviving allies at 50% health leads to effectively free Ult charge, as a Mercy would then prioritize Resurrects that could be easily chained into simple healing, with the overall goal of farming those revived players for Ult charge and possibly the resource for more Resurrects.