[OW2] Reddit, might have solved Mercy and Sojourn

I think it’s a lot easier to change the beam than to redesign every source of burst damage in the game now, and in the future.

And that if you think complaints about something that’s so very similar is “too much”.
Then your alternative is like 10x or 20x more disruptive to the game.

But that is it… There is only ONE source that needs to be redesigned… the rest is fine with her boost… that is why I am still waiting for that list of heroes that will just replace sojourn as ‘busted because of blue beam’… And I think i know why you dodging that question, but ok.

Also, by redesigning her blue beam you will create a lot of situations when playing mercy would make her just a healbot, which is hardly something that will be good for her state now…

Huh? what do you mean by that?

If you are talking about MOTH, then yes… I DON’T WANT THAT AGAIN… But that is the only way to break her ‘pocket play style’ and that is why people don’t want to play her. Because no matter what, if we don’t make her main power in healing again she won’t break from being a pocket.

So now you need to decide, you want to bring people back to support by changing Mercy and making her appealing because ‘no matter what sacrifices have to be made’ and we endure another round of MOTH, or you don’t… Pocket play style will ALWAYS be niche in FPS game. You know what? For the same reason why people do not play supports in MMO as much as they play DPS… Most just want to pew pew.

I genuinely don’t know what it’s difficult to understand “Nerf Mercy in high ELO, then buff her”.

So why suggest a bunch of radical changes to the game, while simultaneously complaining that changing Mercy in a way that’s almost imperceptible difference for Plat and below, is “Too much changes”?

But why do you need to nerf her in the first place if Sojourn is the issue?

Because that’s the secondary side benefit.

The real problem is that there’s not enough “power budget” to change Mercy in a way that’s more fun for a lot more Support players.

Sojourn only one shots with MERCY. MERCY is the problem.

Sojourns headshots should be rewarded.

Mercy is the 3rd highest picked supp bc she is just popular among support players, she is a standard character, she has the aesthetics and is accessible.
But ofc devs only pay attention to the numbers or whatever they call “data”. As long as they keep balancing the game around numbers I highly doubt Mercy will ever get significant changes.

What are you talking about? The side benefit is that an overtuned hero is still going to be overtuned because your call to nerf mercy still leaves Sojourn overtuned? Or what?

There is plenty of power budget to change Mercy. Rez is largely superfluous in this much faster game state so you can remove it or slap it onto moth and drain the duration off of it or whatever. Plenty of space to move about in there.

Sojourn is the issue. You are incorrect.

1 Like

And I end up beeing stuck as a healbot whole game, because of DF+hanzo+ashe composition…

Because you still don’t understand, that changing her from one pocket play style to another WON’T fix the issue… People still will look at her and be like ‘oh I am suppose to make someone that pew pews tronger? Hell no, I am going pew pew myself!’. That is the issue why people do not pick her. There were more Mercy main during MOTH and Mercy 1.0 (mass rezz) times. That is why I brought it up. This will achieve your goal to some extent, but it will be bad for the game itself. You cannot break her out of pocket play style without making her healing busted… But then she will be oppressive AF, and busted… Like during MOTH, so idk what you want at this point. Since you cannot have it both ways…

They just refuse to acknowledge where the issue is…

#blamethemercy

Again? According to what? GM pick rate that is inflated by turbo busted AF Vivian?

NOT TRUE

if target is discorded she still one shots by clicking head…

Actually not true… She has 3rd pickrate in GM because of sojourn…

most picked support across all ranks was Ana in OW1, idk how it is in OW2, since we don’t have access to the data.

True, especially that I am sure they balance this game around tanks and dps, since this is where most money come from…

That was their data before season 2 anyways.
But my point still stands, she’s only picked bc she is a fan favourite, even if she is garbo

So this is what we call “Borrowing from Paul to pay Bill.” You are just passing the buck onto another set of problems down the road instead of fixing the foundational problem. The game is 100% based around getting picks for numerical advantage. Having a speed boost just offloads it onto other characters that function similarly. What they will eventually have to do is just tone down the overall damage in general to slow down games a bit more otherwise there is no escaping the situation no matter what they do unless they completely remove “boosts.”

30% Attack speed Pharah scares me more than 30% Damage boost Pharah. Shooting all her rockets in 3.2 seconds instead of 4.6, even if weaker, just gives her so much more harrassment on lower ranks who can’t hit scan properly.

Is this supposed to be a nerf to high ranks and a buff to low ranks by changing Mercy’s right click?

I think there would be a heck of a lot more complaints about removing Rez, than replacing Damage Boost with something that’s almost identical to Damage Boost.

I don’t really care if people whine about Rez being gone. It’s a bad ability as things are currently and I’m fairly confident most actual Mercy players would rather lose Rez and gain something else while keeping boost.

No, she is picked because sojourn is busted… But sojourn won’t be nerfed this season, she still needs to be busted so they can sell more skins for her…

but it fundamentally isn’t tho… I can make dmg boost work on almost all but like what? 2 or 3 champions in a game… But I cannot get the same thing from attack speed boost… So that beam will be useless a lot of times…

I can’t speak for every Mercy main out there, but yes… If i HAVE TO CHOOSE between DMG boost or REZ? I will choose DMG boost

So what’s the functional difference in nerfing Mercy so the blue beam is much less effective on a character, and nerfing the a ton of characters so they have a bad interaction with Mercy’s blue beam?

Either way Mercy’s blue beam is going to suck for those characters.

It’s the same end state, just with a heck of a lot more unlikely to happen.

you literally dont understand anything. dmg boost isnt whats keeping mercy captive, its rez.

Let’s imagine they did get rid of the Rez.

They’d probably take about 5 months to get around to that.

That’s too slow if they need matchmaking fixed in the next 1-3 months.