[OW2] Reddit, might have solved Mercy and Sojourn

Just remove damage amp from the game, speed buff feels wack on some heroes.

It’s so easy to remove Mercy’s damage boost for damage projectiles. Making the hero actually take skill. Don’t forget to remove rez too for something that does both damage/ healing like Ana’s nade.

Not true… Heroes with high RoF and low TTK will be broken in similar way with extra attack speed buf…

So, you want all Mercy mains to quit, since that is why they play the charachter… Meanwhile DPS mains still won’t queue up Support, since they want to pew pew better… So what this change actually accomplishes? Aside from making queue issue even bigger

I’m pretty sure Mercy players enjoy Mercy’s mobility most about her which would go untouched. She’d still keep her braindead healing beam.

With damage boost her ultimate on cooldown resurrect being replaced with skilled abilities the hero would be way more healthy for the game.

Are we really going to pretend that Mercy is the problem and not Sojourn, and Ashe before this?

The other 16 DPS heroes are not an issue when damage boosted, while the 2 heroes that historically do are literally 2 of the worst designed and most bloated kits ever.

1 Like

Source: trust me bro…

I love when other people project onto me what they think is their idea of fun, and assume I will enjoy it also (-;

Thank you… I started losing my sanity here…

TBF I really think devs did not thought this through with sojourn, while Ashe was busted with Mercy as a design choice… Which went well…

1 Like

Mercy’s new superjump tech unlimited flight is low key broken, the mobility feels amazing. All Mercy top 500’s love it right now on twitter.

Does not mean, that is a thing that brought them to that hero in a first place…

If I buy a car, that is roomy so my kids can be comfortable on our roadtrips, AND said car is fast does not mean I bought this car because it is fast…

Also, Mercy mains are not all top500

Nerfing Mercy is not going to make you stop being the most hardstuck cree main.

1 Like

Yeah and now you have to adjust a whole other hero for something that isnt a Mercy issue.

Please don’t even. If you make this argument you want these characters to change how they play and that’s just a real bad argument to make. It’s like giving mercy 5 extra ammo so she can shoot more. Reinforces bad play.

I certainly didn’t miss any breakpoint characters as I didn’t talk about them at all because the boost itself is rarely the issue but the hero being boosted is.
Remember how when Ashe could one-tap with boost? Tell me again what they chose to nerf then. Ashe or Boost? Also what one-shot has existed in high elo recently besides Hog hook? No one plays widow no more afaik.
Like I don’t have all the numbers in my head but right now I’m pretty sure the list of attacks in the game that Mercy can boost into a oneshot is miniscule.

Also I wouldn’t say we shouldn’t care about the 1% and would appreciate that you don’t make baseless assumptions about someone AND now you’ve also pulled a “Well you’re not skilled enough” move which is a bad look.

Absolutely he did. But now his charge time is lower than ever couple with its new AoE potential ontop of his tank hp and the removal of a lot of counter cc to deal with his mobility. There’s realistically only Ana and Hog to deal with him now (yes sombra too but come on who is gonna play Sombra in her current state). So his low CD cc is more threatening than ever. Luckily there’s not too many good Doom players.

1 Like

Morons: Do we need to nerf Sojourn? Am I scapegoating Mercy for a hitscan being unsurprisingly overpowered as they normally are? 16 out 18 heroes are not a problem when damage boosted…

Morons: No its Mercy the one that is overpowered.

1 Like

What makes you think we have to choose? Change Mercy boost, and nerf instakill DPS.

Also the instakills existing is secondary to getting Mercy to a place where she can get significant changes.

Exactly 4 atm…

1. Sojourn railgun head shot
  2. Widowmaker body shot on 150 hp target
  3. hanzo body shot on 150hp target
  4. Hanzo headshot with stormarrow on 150hp target

thats all of them, that are enabled by Mercy… We could discuss stacking dmg boost (like empowering nanoed target, or blue beaming someone who shoots discorded target). But that have seperate issues.

But that is your argument atm… That we cannot change Angela, because she enables one shots… On one character, that is busted because of that… So why we cannot buff her in some areas without changing her blue beam?

For last patch, she’s the 3rd highest pickrate and 2nd highest winrate in high ELO, according to the dev Alec.

And Mercy’s probably going to be more essential now that Sojourn has a maximum of 195 damage with her railgun.

That’s not a lot of room to work with on adding/buffing things on the hero.

So we need to make her worse in high ELO, to add/buff more stuff.

Again you ignoring WHY… Delete sojourn for a week or two… Then gather that data of mercy pick and win rates… I promise you, her pick rate will go straight to the dumpster in GM.

But she IS garbage in high ELO outside of making broken garbage even more broken… IF something is broken, you would EXPECT that hero DESIGNED to up the value generated by some one will make that garbage broken hero EVEN MORE BROKEN, so both pick rate and win rate will skyrocket…

Which is why, is a bad design overall. Using the argument that lower tiers or higher tiers work/doesn’t work. Doesn’t make the function not being problematic to begin with.

I’m not questioning dive or flanks fun aspect. But how they became the meta due all those changes. Is not about prefer A, B or C. But how impactful on the gameplay Double Shield were and how those 2 are.

Is not simply a preference in that regard, is just unbalanced which made queue times on supports increase itself. While I liked 6v6 I know that double shields weren’t a good thing, but 5v5 without cc and the current state of dives and flanks isn’t anything better also.

The problem with this reasoning is this:
Subservience:
The condition of being less important than something else.

Synergy:
the interaction or cooperation of two or more organizations, substances, or other agents to produce a combined effect greater than the sum of their separate effects.

There’s no case that DB actually makes overall damage per sec be higher than mercy shooting targets by example. Isn’t a synergy due not being 2-way thing on majority of the part.

Lucio speeding rein or speeding roadhog he affects those heroes. Anybody within his range will have his effect, he isn’t “limited” by others. Mercy both GA and DB makes her subservient in that regard.

Synergy have pluses for both cases or at least result on higher value than both parts separated. DB doesn’t provide higher values than mercy shotting the same target by example.

Nano is also, although often are more “healthy one” there are often other options to nano. Which is why if the ana swaps in some point, genji eventually would swap or complaint. Similarly to Mercy combinations if mercy swaps. If there are other good options for nano if genji underperforms wouldn’t be subservience, but the moment that the pick are solely related to him it is. Nano soldier, nano reaper, nano tracer, nano rein(with speed boost) are valid targets, even casual nano mercy or nano brig depending on the overall situation and urgency.

Don’t mistake synergy with “willingness” to improve other folks at expense of your own performance. Mercy is subservience, due her damage output surpass the benefit of db. You can argue that is scenario dependant but doesn’t change the raw value on both cases.

Nano on the other hand will be, mostly, due the way that both heroes would be played. But again, is more flexible in that regard. But if there are other options could be avoided the subservience and turn to a synergy.

I’m insistent due, is clear that mechannics that messes with:

• damage output (higher) on source, are bad and exploited leading to several nerfs. Like you said, one shots become problematic due being instantaneous which is a problem with buffs on source related to it, not having exactly counterplay.
  • damage output (higher) on the target, are often dealt well due ways to counter/avoid that. Like barriers, walls, cleanse, IM, bubbles etc.

Same holds true about nerfs damage received and damage done.

• damage taken (higher) on the target, can be cleansed, blocked and avoided. Almost never is instantaneous death sentence. You can work around it or play at disavantage if needed, but at least you’re aware of it.
  • damage done (lower) on the taget, can be cleansed, blocked and avoided. Almost never is instantaneous death sentence.

An old analogy quoting d2, whirlwind bard/concentration barb:
If you receive Amplify Damage, you’re cursed to take 100% more physical damage. You can keep going carefuly or go back and cure it.
If you receive iron maiden, you’re cursed to receve XXX-XXXX% physical damage from your melee attacks. One strike you’re good as dead, unless you use beserk.

Any time you can get the curse, one you can react the other not. Due the amount of mobs who applied these curses and their random patterns.

Zen discord have counterplays due being able to react to it, similar to amplify damage curse from d2, which db you actually can’t due being instantaneous effect like you already mentioned in some heroes. Is better have to hide and use other angles than the source having increased damage and being stuck in a dillema of killing the mercy or killing the boosted target.

Discord can be lost and prevented with barriers, bubbles and cleanse. DB you simply only negate it killing mercy, which no always is an easy task due often not needing much LoS towards enemy to pocket someone on her team.

You often only see someone boosted, not exactly mercy. A good mercy would use several tricks to stay behind covers. Making the effort to kill her harder, first because someone would need to distract the boosted target while the other would effectively try to kill her. In that case she would have more odds to know if someone is near to her and alert the boosted target. At same time your synchonization with your team would need to be way higher than her with her boosted target. Not to mention the skill required to pull the counterplay off.

Mercy pocketing someone would need to keep the link on and aware of audio clues, mostly you wouldn’t have much element of surprise, while the boosted target would have the upper hand for some time.

The problem with both cases (db and nano) is that: there are less sources of damage mitigation to enable counterplays more safely, because going to counter a boosted or nanoed target you have right now less CC and less ways to mitigate the incoming damage.

Which is why, I mentioned that Dive and flanking, right now, are even worst than double shield. Not because they’re worst or better than double shield, but because all things that “enabled” doubleshield were removed and, almost, all things that “disabled” flank and dive vanished.

That’s why their nerfs on several dives weren’t near to enough to change the meta. I’m not saying the game should had the amount of CC or double barriers like before, but the combinated removal of both without actual planning on the rest, due them doing a minor tweak of few characters didn’t changed how impactful they were and still are.

I don’t like damage boost (on source), I don’t mind damage amplification(on target). I dislike the gameplay of mercy due it’s a hero that deserves better. GA and DB are 2 things that, honestly, hinders mercy more than helps. While I get that GA needs that requirement due make mercy less oppressive. Which is why Valk ult was a good change for her.

The entire mercy 1.0 were subservient. After changes things improved, but still db is part of her abilities that hinders her more than makes her better.

Mercy can help other players in other ways, she could by example have ability like ana’s on her pistol. If she shoots in a friend heals, on enemy deals damage. She could even have a debuff effect on her pistol like making the target receive amplified damage, slow the target or disable healing on it.

She has mobility, she has skills that enables that kind of mobility. But half of the match she is staring walls keeping her db link. Pharah could be said to be an exception but even her, mercy would still play looking for walls.

Mercy have potential to be way more impactful and provide way more value than actually stare walls half of the match due needing to keep db damage dealers to pop heads with a single shot. Like Sojourn, hanzo and others.

That kind of gamplay are a thing since even prior 2019. If you look for OWL you will see several moments of mercy staring a wall while hanzo climbs it shoot an arrow and go back and do the same, change some positions and do the same again.

Playing support is about be the backbone of your team, both enabling them to do their thing but also prevent deaths. Mercy staring walls aren’t preventing deaths and her shots does more damage than keep db the damage role. The problem with that is not all mercy players are willing to actually take that risk and receive the complaint of their teammate about “db”.

Often if you play mercy and don’t keep db, you’re throwing. While there are scenarios that she can keep swapping between allies to improve team’s odds. Often will happen to someone try enforce their ways to play on her. Mostly due DB are often negligible improvement on those characters comparated with her damage dealing potential. But is less risky to get similar rewards.

I’m a flex player who plays with heroes that gives more odds to win the match for my team. I saw several situations in several ranks how picky and bad the subservience can be. I dislike to play as mercy due her kit being in a way that “incentivizes” that kind of behavior. I would pick mercy or ana on situations that would improve my team odds, but after 3-4 teamfights if the damage role aren’t performing well or the nano blade didn’t worked. Is the moment that strategies and things needs to be changed. Otherwise those 2 heroes would be hostages of those bad picks. Is pretty easy to see who has the carry potential in a team and see who aren’t, but rarely those who are bad aren’t willing to take the blame for it. Leading to a toxic behavior in the end. Similarly supports knowing how behave on situations that something is lacking in the team, either as CC provider(ana/lucio), healing boosting(ana), healing and supression(moira) or another “tank” to deal against rein/doom(brig)

Both heroes should be in the game, but shouldn’t be like that. OW1 was a game, 2019 they barely adapted the game to work, 2022 is a simple repetition of the problems of 2019 potentialized by rushed 5v5 without actually seeing the impacts of less barriers and CC.

Which is unexcusable, I mean they can have several patches in different modes, they can even do experiments on experimental mode. Instead enforced an immature mode without further planning on the regard.

I adapt, I love the game, but I can’t have fun with the game anymore. Which is why I want it to be better either going to a direction I dislike but at least being balanced and rounded around it, or rethink/replan and enable more diversity which is the path I would want. Because right now they’re in the middle of a crossroad trying to pick things from each path and screwing everything up. Instead of going frull throttle or taking a planned approach

I get that they will not go back to 6v6 even if barriers wouldn’t be a thing anymore. I just tired of seeing this game trying to change and keeping problems from the past without fixing and those problems making the game even worse through it’s lifetime.

Then it would just move on to the next ranged instakill hero.
Also, Roadhog needs to get out of the meta.

I think I’m saying “Nerf then Buff”
And you’re only hearing “Nerf”

Also the goal here isn’t to fix instakills.

The goal here is to change Mercy in a way that brings in a lot more Mercy players across all ELOs.

And as far as I’ve seen anywhere on the forums or even in game, not a single complaint has happened in regard to Hanzo or Widow because their only one shot is against the target that has three instant dashes and a repositioning tool thats basically instant and the… what? 4th smallest hitbox in the game?

Mercy is the reason every hero that interacts with Mercy gets nerfed, damage boost/ rez is broken. You’re the moron.

Legit ruined Ashe.

Which one? We already established that Angela do not bring anyone, aside from Vivian, into a OHKO territory. So WHO will be BUSTED because of BLUE BEAM? I am waiting…

It is not the mercy that enables him, lol… It is more kiriko problem, since she can cleanse him form antiheal…

No, you are saying ‘change her beam so it does something different’… And that leads to ‘oh, i have no one in my team to synergize my blue beam with… what do i do?’…

The fact that it will be a net nerf is just a cherry on top…

Then we need to go back to MOTH… That went well last time, didn’t it?

6th actually, on par with Bap.

smaller are Symm, Mercy, Ana, Sombra and Ashe

source

Before nerf: Ashe two taps without pocket
After nerf: Ashe still two taps without pocket

#literallyunplayablenow

Slow firing/ hitting harder with more range on a hero with the worst reload in the game is way stronger. Ashe was designed to be a sniper, that’s why she one shot with Mercy pocket from far range on release.