[OW2] Reddit, might have solved Mercy and Sojourn

I understand it well enough.

The extremely few people who enjoy playing-as and playing-against damage boosted sharpshooters and other damage boosted instakills, aren’t really an important part of the playerbase.

And that they are way down on the priority list compared to fixing matchmaker quality/speed.

But that is the point… I know that, you know that… Anybody that plays the game knows that… Even devs know that… But management don’t…

Also, they have tons and tons of data from OW1, when people didn’t quit, even if DPS queue was 15+ minutes, so they think it is ok

you just proved to me that you don’t

right, so we should just change how the instakills work and/or how mercys damage boost works, not adding a part of kiris ult on a button LOL

Zen go brrrrrrrrrr…

Sojourn go brrrrrrrrrr…

Ram go brrrrrr…

I think that’d be neat but also might be very broken with heroes who already have a fast rate of fire.

And if you do this, I think it’s only fair you uncap the mag capacity. Or else it’d be a bunch of reloading.

Why don’t we just decrease the damage boost amount to like 25%?

Increase the base movement speed on Supports from 5.5m/s, to 6.5m/s.

That’s pretty easy.

If we all agree that discord orb is not a problem, and believe Mercy’s boost to be one, why not instead let her beam the opponents to debuff them ? Obviously it would also require another round of GA upgrade like being able to GA to opponents.

If we don’t want it to become an offensive ability, attack speed seems to be a bad idea for me. Yes, on paper, it would work, but Kiriko’s ult was nerfed because “it made aiming much harder”, and it’s a constant boost, Mercy’s can be a constant boost if you’re hard pocketing but most of the time it isn’t, so without a lot of corner cutting (like it having no effect on recoil) it would turn from a dev’s headache to a “push to annoy teammate” ability, in particular in low-ELO.

They need to increase the popularity of the entire Support role, by a lot in the next 2-3 months.

Almost anything that gets in the way of that, needs to get out of the way.

there are more support and dps players than tank player LOL??

rank 500 on tank is low gm3 while rank 500 on dps and support is gm2

your personal experiences do not dictate the popularity of the role

Good for you. RobotWizard, who would agree with my viewpoint on this, and he’s built multiple matchmaker algorithms that were sold to gaming companies.

Have you done that?

thanks

did he develop overwatchs matchmaker? why would i care about some random person i dont know nor will ever care about LOL

Got it. So the default is “danny is correct unless they are high ranking member of the overwatch development team”.

no, I provided an observation on how there are more people ranked in support and DPS than in tank. You have done nothing except personally attack me.

61k posts for you just to be braindead

I’ve pointed out the flaws in your argument. Why would that be personal?

you did nothing except mention some random person no one knows or cares about. this isn’t a topic about matchmaking algorithms btw, you are just saying “big” words to try to sound smart to all the support players on this forum.

really depressing and boring to read someone whos spent so much time posting on a forum still not know how to argue a point, cya

If the soldier recoil is actually too awful for soldier players to adapt, the devs could totally compensate for it. It would not be hard to reduce the recoil while boosted so the recoil control is the exact same for when he’s boosted or not boosted.

While I think this change would shift Mercy’s preferred boost targets from hitscans who can crit to projectile characters with splash damage, Cole, Hanzo, Widow and Ashe absolutely could all benefit from the new boost still. They all have situations where they prefer to body shot, faster fire rate = more chances to headshot, and there’s no reason they couldn’t make the boost decrease the charge time for Hanzo and Widow.

What you’re missing is the breakpoint characters do force that kind of meta at extremely high elos. This is not a universal problem, probably not something you’ve experienced in your games. You might say we shouldn’t care about problems that only affect the top 1%, but I think that’s shortsighted. As time goes on the average skill level of the players rises. Problems at high skill levels become more prominent the later in the life span of a game you are.

I agree the devs should design new supports with the philosophy of actively interacting with the enemy. Mercy is a pretty obvious exception though. Her core premise has always been to help other players pop off and be a hard to kill priority target.

Doomfist had the stun as part of his kit before. They just buffed it a lot and made it more consistent. Giving him a stun isn’t inconsistent with their design direction at all. Besides Ana, the tanks are the only characters that are fair game for hard CC.

The exploit in question was never an issue in actual gameplay, it was an scoring exploit from the MMR system that was removed eventually.

But MR itself was never broken or too strong in any way - 90% of the time it was used for tempo rezzes and the rest it was downright. It was always inferior to Trans and Beat until it was buffed to compete, and even there it was a sidegrade to them at best.

Its flaws were removed the moment it was buffed. Its flaw is that it was bad, simple as that.

They changed the movement speed bonus on Kiriko ult, not the attack speed. It’s moving faster that makes aiming harder.

No so sure on that one - blue beam means that the design of other characters is limited because it can turn their twoshot abilities into oneshots. It makes balancing harder because you have to balance around two situations, Mercy pocketing the hero and Mercy not pocketing the hero.

Kitsune rush is overpowered (hence the season 2 nerf) but that’s not what I said. I said that increased attack speed isn’t ‘inherently’ broken. It is a mechanic that can be added to the game without insta-breaking any heroes. Tuning that mechanic is a separate issue. It definitely makes the pocked character stronger eg: Reaper in Kitsune is terrifying but then a damage boosted Reaper at close range is also terrifying. The difference between an attack speed boost and a damage boost is that attack speed does not change abilities from being twoshots into oneshots. It makes twoshots more deadly but at least you get a chance to use a movement ability to escape a fast two shot.

I don’t know about other people, but with my current elo, support queue goes WAY faster then tank queue, and if I pick flew 9/10 matches it gives me support.

I’m no expert, but if there were that many more support players, wouldn’t tank queues be way faster instead ?

Here’s an example of the problem we got for matchmaking.

For perfectly ideal matchmaking quality and matchmaking speed. You’d want:

• 20% Tanks, 40% DPS, 40% Supports.
  • i.e. 1/5, 2/5, 2/5
  • i.e. 1-2-2

The further it gets away from that ideal, the worse either matchmaking quality or matchmaking speed gets. And it would appear that the devs are focusing on matchmaking speed, instead of matchmaking quality. To compensate for a lack of Support players.

Let’s say the season 1 ratio of Tank-DPS-Support was

• 30%, 50% 20%
  • i.e. 1.5x, 1.5x, 0.5x compared to the ideal

Then what happens if you make it

• 40%, 45%, 15%
  • i.e. 2.0x, 1.125x, 0.375x compared to the ideal

So moving from a Tank:Support ratio of: 1.5x vs 0.5x, which makes a 3x gap for matchmaking
And then next patch: 2.0x vs 0.375x, which makes a 5.33x gap for matchmaking.

Almost twice as bad.

The upside to all this is that matchmaking will be so horrendously bad, that the devs will be forced to solve it.
(i.e. Get more Support players ASAP)